Batchelors Peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batchelors Peas

Does anyone remember Batchelors Processed Peas (small) ?
    I don't mean the 'Mushy' or 'Bigga' as these are readily available.
    They are specifically 'small'.

I had been having them for over 25 years and they are really the only ones I like and to see them suddenly disappear a few years ago was a tragedy, lol.
    I even emailed Batchelors in Ireland but they failed to reply

Anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Batchelors Peas

are these them? http://www.amazon.com/Batchelors-Pro.../dp/B000HDMUYE

I didn't realise they had stopped selling them in shops,Batchelors tinned pea's are they only ones we like, however thinking about it,we've only had 'bigga' or mushy for a while now.
    Heather

Comment

Sadly not in the UK but it is a British shop http://esvc000352.wic001ss.server-sh...p?idProduct=15
      Heather

Comment

Thanks, but the can specifically says 'small'.

Comment

Yay! Those are them.
          Sadly, they are half way around the world

Comment

My Nan use to love those one's in the second link, shame they have stopped selling them in the UK
            Heather

Comment

Not seen those batchelors peas in a long time.
              yes i prefer the bigga ones and frozen peas.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Ahh, tinned peas. Always a favourite in my home but I'd forgotten they were always 'processed peas' which got me thinking...what process did they actually go through? Dried, soaked then heat treated to prevent spoilage according to the 'net.

I much prefer fresh or frozen peas these days. The tinned peas were always a bit soft and squishy for me.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

I did some Farrow's tinned peas recently, I think in Asda.

My parents have bought frozen peas for as long as I remember, along with sweetcorn.

For some reason my girlfriend still buys tinned sweetcorn.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I too miss the Batchelors Small Processed Peas. They haven't stopped making them, it's just that they're difficult to track down.

Morrisons told me they stopped stocking them as apparently they weren't a great seller (strange, when you consider some of the products they do sell, I think it's more to do with supermarkets trying to push their own brands), so I stopped shopping at Morrisons. I contacted Batchelors around a year ago in the hope that either they would sell to me direct (I would happily buy in quantity) or that they could tell me any stores that stock them, and the reply from Batchelors was disappointing, they said they couldn't sell to me direct and that as their products went through a wholesaler they didn't know which stores stocked they're products (obviously not a very well run company, they should know which stores stock their products and be making an effort to get their products into more stores).

I was told though, that some NISA stores sell them, but there isn't one near to me and when I rang a couple of NISA stores they weren't very helpful and were unwilling to go and check if they had these peas in stock and I don't want to travel a distance just on the off chance that one might have some in stock. If you ever track down anywhere that stocks them, please please please let me know where as they were the best peas by a long long way.

Comment

thats awful they would not checxk for you when you rang the nisa stores.
                      how long would it have taken for them to check.
                      they need to lerarn how to treat customers.

but yes they're gorgeous nicer than the mushy peas the bigga ones.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      I too miss the Batchelors Small Processed Peas. They haven't stopped making them, it's just that they're difficult to track down.

Morrisons told me they stopped stocking them as apparently they weren't a great seller (strange, when you consider some of the products they do sell, I think it's more to do with supermarkets trying to push their own brands), so I stopped shopping at Morrisons. I contacted Batchelors around a year ago in the hope that either they would sell to me direct (I would happily buy in quantity) or that they could tell me any stores that stock them, and the reply from Batchelors was disappointing, they said they couldn't sell to me direct and that as their products went through a wholesaler they didn't know which stores stocked they're products (obviously not a very well run company, they should know which stores stock their products and be making an effort to get their products into more stores).

I was told though, that some NISA stores sell them, but there isn't one near to me and when I rang a couple of NISA stores they weren't very helpful and were unwilling to go and check if they had these peas in stock and I don't want to travel a distance just on the off chance that one might have some in stock. If you ever track down anywhere that stocks them, please please please let me know where as they were the best peas by a long long way.

Comment

WOW! I think I've just found them, and on Amazon of all places http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batchelors-P...1278794&sr=8-1

I've just ordered the last tray in stock (Sorry, lol). There is no picture to confirm for definite it's the correct peas but it does say "Small" so I'll be angry with Amazon if it isn't them. They will obviously be getting more stock as it gave me the option to order a tray each month at a 10% discounted price. When they arrive I will post to let you know if it's definitely them.

Comment

I prefer Farrows giant marrow fat peas - even the labels on the tins still look like they did when I were a lad!!! Love them with a Lamb Grill and oven chips, cooked so their still moist on the outside instead of crisp, some fish fingers and having the juice absorb into the chips....delicious!

Comment

gioing by this id say it is them mate.
                            and i really hope it is them.
                            strange how you found rthe on amazon did nort think they sold food on there.

i look forward to hearing from you.
                            how long will they take to arrive.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            WOW! I think I've just found them, and on Amazon of all places http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batchelors-P...1278794&sr=8-1

I've just ordered the last tray in stock (Sorry, lol). There is no picture to confirm for definite it's the correct peas but it does say "Small" so I'll be angry with Amazon if it isn't them. They will obviously be getting more stock as it gave me the option to order a tray each month at a 10% discounted price. When they arrive I will post to let you know if it's definitely them.

Comment

Well, they arrived today, and YEEESSS!! it's them.

strange how you found rthe on amazon did nort think they sold food on there.
                              I didn't think they sold food either until I found these the other night, I would never have thought to try amazon but up they popped in a google search for the peas.

I am delighted to have my favourite peas again. No prizes for guessing what I'll be having for dinner tonight, lol.

It's surprising though how many people, think that because they can't find these peas in their local supermarkets that Batchelors must've stopped making them. It's just supermarkets having a determination to push their own brands on customers and needing shelf space for their own brands so they dump all but the most popular products.

Comment

Working...
                              X