Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Eurovision song contest

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    Not watched it in years. Well not since the 80's.
    I won't ask the reason why...

    No, I am surprised as it had been mentioned everywhere and everyone. Mind you, in a Brexit-alike way, I wouldn't blame the BBC if they refrained from submitting an entry next year or any future years for that matter, but would still do the voting and would otherwise have an "outsider's" perspective of the contest. The UK was successful in the 20th century and not so in the 21st, while with Norway and some other countries, it was the other way round.

    For a moment, I actually thought that Manchester City's goals earlier on would have outnumbered the points that Rice would have received.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    I watched the scoring session only and avoided listening to the music, as I find it absolute rubbish. For the UK things were not looking too bad as we were 3rd from bottom! Then at the final stage of scoring a new score system was introduced in which peoples' votes were included. UK ended up in last place. Surely we've learnt our lesson.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    13,993

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    One thing that irks me a bit is having israel and australia in it.

    Only euro countries in a eurovision song contest.
    one thing i did notice is
    you have more than just each jury voting between 1 and 12 points.

    Did i see right or was there something called a public vote.

    When did that come in.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Morocco was in the 1980 competition and they were obviously the wrong side of the Mediterranean to be in Europe.

    This year's contest has comparisons with 1979-1980 - in 1979 Israel hosted it and won it but due to the cost and the 1980 ESC being on a Remembrance Day, they defend their title the following year. The 1980s contest was hosted by the Netherlands who came 12th the year before. It is ironic then that the final contest of this decade is hosted by Israel and next year will be hosted by the Netherlands - just like the final year of the 1970s and the first year of the 1980s.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    507

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Morocco was in the 1980 competition and they were obviously the wrong side of the Mediterranean to be in Europe.

    This year's contest has comparisons with 1979-1980 - in 1979 Israel hosted it and won it but due to the cost and the 1980 ESC being on a Remembrance Day, they defend their title the following year. The 1980s contest was hosted by the Netherlands who came 12th the year before. It is ironic then that the final contest of this decade is hosted by Israel and next year will be hosted by the Netherlands - just like the final year of the 1970s and the first year of the 1980s.
    I guess that means Ireland will win next year, as I'm pretty sure Johnny Logan won in 1980, perhaps my earliest Eurovision memory.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    I guess that means Ireland will win next year, as I'm pretty sure Johnny Logan won in 1980, perhaps my earliest Eurovision memory.
    And perhaps the UK can win the year after? One can only hope.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Amazing that the UK had 16 points last Saturday, and now we just have 11.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Amazing that the UK had 16 points last Saturday, and now we just have 11.
    At this rate, we'll have nul again by next week!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Eurovision song contest

    Amazing that we associated Rice with being poor...
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Similar Threads

  1. Eurovision contest
    By Lothar-gr in forum Music events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 30-10-2018, 13:28
  2. Eurovision... arggg!
    By Wil in forum Television
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 15:35
  3. Going For A Song
    By remember in forum Recently remembered...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-05-2008, 23:40
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 02:42
  5. find me the song lyrics to this song
    By shell240675 in forum Bands
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-12-2004, 11:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •