When does nostalgia become unhealthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When does nostalgia become unhealthy

I'd go along with that. Having the occasional wallow does no harm and it's fun to share memories and experiences with people who know what the bloody hell you're going on about! But none of us can remove ourselves from the modern world and go back, even if we wanted to, and it's vital to stay engaged with the world as it is rather than how it used to be.
    By 'eck, there's greased lightning about that lad!

Comment

Nostalgia is a funny thing! There i am driving along and all of a sudden BOOM i see a 1993 K reg Ford Mondeo! All of a sudden i am thinking back remembering when that car was launched way back in March 1993 when i was 15 going to the local Ford dealer picking up all the sales brochures on it. It then sets me off thinking about the songs of 93 Mr Vain, Dreams, All That She Wants,This Is It, Rhythm Is A Dancer, etc etc. I think to myself good god! Was it really 20 years ago! It's always old cars P reg or older that set me off on a nostalgia trip.

Comment

It's not often you see old cars like that now. I saw a Senator a few weeks back and I thought I was seeing things. They were hardly prevalent back then so to see one now was quite a shock.

I remember Passats being quite popular cars back then. I've not seen one of those for ages.

Comment

For me, I also toyedwith is nostalgia a good or bad thing and I really think it dependson you, the person that is feeling nostalgic. Personally I think westruggle with nostalgia because we feel guilty about this, thelonging for things in the past, for times we believed were betterthan now (they were), for the times when we had nojob,mortgage,children to worry about and ultimately that thenostalgia is ours and ours alone, its not something shared with yourhusband/wife/children. You’re feelings of nostalgia are yours andyours alone.

I have come to theconclusion that as long as this does not over take your life (asothers have said) then nostalgia is good and we should not feelashamed of it or the the way it makes us feel. I certainly hope mychildren have the same nostalgic feelings about their youth as I doabout mine and can look back in their mid 30's as I do regularly andenjoy it for what it is!

Comment

What a fascinating thread. I too struggle with the question of whether my nostalgia is unhealthy.

The fact that I am spending time now on this forum, lost in a haze of times-gone-by, instead of getting up and doing a few tasks that need doing in the here-and-now, is worrying for a start.

Also, daddymac, you make the point that nostalgia is yours and yours alone, and cannot truly be shared. That for me creates a sense of loneliness. Even friends from my childhood have moved on and have busy lives, and so I am left with just my own memories and my own fondness for certain aspects if my childhood. Nostalgia for me becomes a very confusing mix of warm comfort and lonely isolation.

Nostalgia is of course an age thing. Back in the early-mid 80's there was a 50's revival, sparked off by (mostly American) nostalgia among those who were 50's teenagers and had then reached their 30's and 40's. Grease, the levi and wrigley adverts, Christine, stand by me and back to the future in the cinema, reet petite and billy joel in the charts, all inspired by 50's nostalgia in the 80's.

But nowadays we have what they didn't have - the Internet, and smartphones, and forums, eBay, and YouTube. We have technology I would literally have dreamed of as a kid in 1982. It is easier to engage with and feed our need for Nostalgia than it has ever been for any other generation.Is that a good thing? I don't know. All I know is that the washing up needs doing and I'm sat here lost in the past instead.

Comment

The Rock & Roll nostalga seemed to start in the 1970s, certainly the stage version of Grease, American Grafitti & Happy Days were part of that movement, along with a lot of oldies (not just cover versions but R&R artists hoping to cash in of Elvis Presley's comeback) back in the charts.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

perhaps those people who have moved on you knew and dont care about nostalgia the old things they had are very serious people.

ive found a lot of times those who dont care for the old things we had are people that are too serious about everything.

ive been in a nostgia mood all my life.

i watch all the old shows i used to watch back in the eighties etc but its because i still love them.

my house is a shrine to the eighties and a lesser extent the nineties.

there is no harm in being on here and putting things you need to do off for a while.
                i dont see it as worrying.
                it would be worrying if it was too the point of not eating etc.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by the fox View Post
                What a fascinating thread. I too struggle with the question of whether my nostalgia is unhealthy.

The fact that I am spending time now on this forum, lost in a haze of times-gone-by, instead of getting up and doing a few tasks that need doing in the here-and-now, is worrying for a start.

Also, daddymac, you make the point that nostalgia is yours and yours alone, and cannot truly be shared. That for me creates a sense of loneliness. Even friends from my childhood have moved on and have busy lives, and so I am left with just my own memories and my own fondness for certain aspects if my childhood. Nostalgia for me becomes a very confusing mix of warm comfort and lonely isolation.

Nostalgia is of course an age thing. Back in the early-mid 80's there was a 50's revival, sparked off by (mostly American) nostalgia among those who were 50's teenagers and had then reached their 30's and 40's. Grease, the levi and wrigley adverts, Christine, stand by me and back to the future in the cinema, reet petite and billy joel in the charts, all inspired by 50's nostalgia in the 80's.

But nowadays we have what they didn't have - the Internet, and smartphones, and forums, eBay, and YouTube. We have technology I would literally have dreamed of as a kid in 1982. It is easier to engage with and feed our need for Nostalgia than it has ever been for any other generation.Is that a good thing? I don't know. All I know is that the washing up needs doing and I'm sat here lost in the past instead.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think like this what you say about not eating etc Darren. I guess what I mean is nostalga is great as long as it is "kept-in-check", I'd not say I've been ridiculed for it but I am happy to think people should lead their own life and follow their own interests but sadly people are ridiculed for nostalga - like a friend who knows lots of films and can tell people "who was in this film, who was in that film etc" which when ridiculed for that is horrible I feel. In a way being nostalgic is like living in a land "that time forgot" I feel and if people wish to do that - as long as it is not over the top and takes over their lives, that is great I feel, like with say Mods/Punk Rockers - I've heard people say "why still be a Mod/or Punk etc from 1982 or whenever - this is purley their choice I feel and if they want to dress like it's 1982 that is up to them too I feel/would say. As long as nostalga is remembered and supported - this is excellent as it supports "times gone by in a way" like how people go to other events that supports time/s gone by I think. I just hope that nostalga continues as if not the world becomes that bit more uniformed and things that make nostalga and other similar things similar become just that bit more lost and further away in life and the norm may become more norm I'd sadly sense as a result.

Comment

Personally I've picked what I like from the past & present, & not really bothered what other people have thought about it.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Nostalgia hit me again today. Saw a mid 1990s Plaxton coach, not so much the coach its self. But the coach company, it was the same company that took us to the swimming baths every Tuesday at primary school 25 years ago. I thought the coach company went bust years ago. I was stunned to see it still going.

Comment

yes as long as it does not impact your life in a life threatening way and as long as you go about your normal life then its all good.

people say to me why wallow in the past its in the past it should stay there.

but if it has a lot of happy memories for you then its a good thing to enjoy.
                        and like being a punk or mod even now its not hurting anyone or against the law so good on them for it.

i love watching old kids shows from a long time ago in fact i enjoy them more now than i did then and i loved them then.

people say grow up but why should i im enjoying what i watch so ill keep doing it.
                        dont be put off by others criticising you for being nostalgic i know i dont.

nostalgia is everywhere be it old buildings cars, etc etc.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        I think like this what you say about not eating etc Darren. I guess what I mean is nostalga is great as long as it is "kept-in-check", I'd not say I've been ridiculed for it but I am happy to think people should lead their own life and follow their own interests but sadly people are ridiculed for nostalga - like a friend who knows lots of films and can tell people "who was in this film, who was in that film etc" which when ridiculed for that is horrible I feel.

In a way being nostalgic is like living in a land "that time forgot" I feel and if people wish to do that - as long as it is not over the top and takes over their lives, that is great I feel, like with say Mods/Punk Rockers - I've heard people say "why still be a Mod/or Punk etc from 1982 or whenever - this is purley their choice I feel and if they want to dress like it's 1982 that is up to them too I feel/would say. As long as nostalga is remembered and supported - this is excellent as it supports "times gone by in a way" like how people go to other events that supports time/s gone by I think. I just hope that nostalga continues as if not the world becomes that bit more uniformed and things that make nostalga and other similar things similar become just that bit more lost and further away in life and the norm may become more norm I'd sadly sense as a result.
                        Last edited by darren; 03-07-2013, 18:39.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think just like most things that give us pleasure, it's good in moderation but anything can be taken too far. If you're totally stuck in the past and constantly wish you were back there, that can be unhealthy for sure.

Comment

As people have said, I think it's a question of degree. We can cling to some things too tightly, when maybe there are deeper things we need to address, but something that gave us good moments can be both a crutch and a pleasure (for good or bad). I guess it depends.

Comment

Working...
                            X