Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For novel research, what year did you have your first McDonalds thick shake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For novel research, what year did you have your first McDonalds thick shake?

Hello all,

I'm just editing a novel I'm writing, and I have a scene where a lad turns up to his gang's den with a McDonalds shake, and it's the first they've ever seen on this rough council estate where it's set. And it's nothing like the thin, powdery ones they've experienced in park cafes. The scene is set in the summer of 1979, outside Manchester.

Now, I don't really remember McDonalds in my life until 1984, but I had old-fashioned parents, so if it was there on the high street, we'd have been going elsewhere.

Research tells me they opened in Woolwich, London in 1974.

Anyone feel they had a thick McDonalds shake as early as 1979?

If they weren't available that early, I'll simply have to cut this scene and forget it. Be a shame though, as it's a good scene.

Cheers all.

...Jamo

Re: For novel research, what year did you have your first McDonalds thick shake?

Swap mcDonalds for Wimpy and it'd be far more 70s
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Re: For novel research, what year did you have your first McDonalds thick shake?

I did think of that, but the scene requires it to be about one lad turning up with something 'new'. Wimpies have been around since the 50s, haven't they? Unless they only started doing the American-style food (and especially the shakes) around 1979, where earlier their menu had been more British. That would work if that's the case.

Comment

Found an advert for McDonalds triple thick shakes 1971

If our first restaurant opened in 1974 I'm guessing they would have gone straight on to our menu. I wasn't born until 1974 so I am only guessing
        Heather

Comment

I had no idea McDonald's came to the UK as early as 1974. I don't think branches appeared in the North East until the mid-80's, so I didn't have my first shake until about 1985/86. Not sure when they reached the North West.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Mid 80's for me. In the Northumberland Street one in Newcastle.
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
              Mid 80's for me. In the Northumberland Street one in Newcastle.
              Yes, that was the only McDonalds around for a good few years. I reckon it was about 1990 before other branches started appearing in places outside of the city centre (my town included).
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Hmm. If only there was a website that listed the year each town got its McDonalds. But it's looking like most of us didn't see a thick shake till 84 or so. Too late for my novel. Might have to lose that scene. Can't be precious if it's simply not right.

Cheers everyone, for your input.

Comment

never had them in Devon till 88-89 - my first McDonalds experience was 1987 in London.

Comment

I first remember going to a McDonalds in Milton Keynes in 1982, & one opened near to me in Stockport in 1983. I'm not sure if Manchester had one before then.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember going to a birthday party for one of my friends in the McDonalds in Chatham in 1981 and having a thick shake. I don't think the shakes were a new thing then, so I reckon you're pretty safe with them being around in '79.
                      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

They came to Oxford in 1983 IIRC, to much media attention, good, bad and indifferent. Of course being a child of 7 it was seen as so exiting. I would not go in a McDonalds now, especially as I now know how some of that stuff is made (especially the thick shake).

They came to Oxford in 1983 IIRC, to much media attention, good, bad and indifferent. Of course being a child of 7 it was seen as so exiting. I think there are three main reasons for this 1) All the other kids were exited about it, therefore you kind of get sucked in to believing it (especially as an impressionable child). 2) in the 1980's America had serious Kudos in truck loads and was seen as such a utopia by the UK masses. Therefore anything American was cool. There is still an overhang of that attitude today in some people. All they can imagine is the suposed glamour of Orlando, LA ,Las Vegas, New York, SanFransico and Miami. They assume that the whole of America is this sugar coated and sparkly dream. The reality much different, however ignoring al these things America as in its places and people (not its politics and business) is quite likeable.

I would not go in a McDonalds now, especially as I now know how some of that stuff is made (especially the thick shake). *shudder*

Comment

November 1983! Sticks in my mind, had thick chocolate shake and cheeseburger - I thought how expensive it was on student cash!

Comment

For the record I don't like the shakes. I remember being very disappointed with my first (and only) McDonalds milkshake. It was more like half-melted ice cream and I couldn't suck it up the straw. I wanted and expected good old crusha.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

1981 - I went to London for a training course and had a McDonalds (including banana milkshake) for the first time. I was unaware of them until then, living in the sticks of the edge of Birmingham
                              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Working...
                              X