The Monkees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Monkees

I was born in 1965,and i had a wonderful childhood watching the monkees on telly throughout my infancy.My favourite was Davy Jones,as my mum said he was from britain.Next favourite was Mickey.The lead singer of the Byrds wrote a song about the Monkees,slagging them off for being a made for television band and not a real band.

Comment

i loved the monkess i actually sill have their first album on vinyl davy was a sweetie

Comment

Saw them on 'Loose Women' the other week. They're on tour! Would be ok if they weren't the same age as my dad! lol
        1976 Vintage

Comment

The Monkees actually performed some really excellent songs especially as they had great songwriters working for them such as the Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart partnership and Neil Diamond.
          The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

I remember The Monkees being a staple of the BBC summer morning schedules for some years. I didn't realise they were an actual recording act at the time.

IIRC Neil Diamond, Kris Kristofferson & Carole King all wrote songs for the show.

Supposedly Stephen Stills turned down to be a Monkee as he either wouldn't be allowed to write songs for the series, or would have had to give up the rights for them.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I saw them live in Cardiff this year and they were fantastic. Gig was well over 2 hours long, they performed all the classics plus loads of their album tracks, including all of the Head soundtrack. Phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I know these guys are from the 60's, but if you grew up in the 80's you might remember their TV series being repeated. For a while my best friend and I were obsessed with the monkees. We loved watching the show and had no clue that it was 20 years out of date as we were only about 6. As far as we were concerned, they were a current band! My fave was Mickey, yet another early crush lol.
                After Dusty Springfield/or equal - given Dusty was a Stabd Alone singer and The Monkees a Group - they was proably the best of the 1960s

I was gutted to learn that davey from manchester had passed away a few years back and can never get that picture of him as a young lad out of my mind. Put simply there has been like Ronan Keating, Robbie williams, Gary Barl etc as pin-ups, but the cool looking guy Dave was - I bet both boys and girls loved him for his looks and natural nic-ness and too boot Dave good sing so so naturaly too and made it look beyond easy - just look at that Daydream Believer Video (the Original 60s one) to see how easy Dave makes it appear!

It just looks like a Music lesson at School (but to pardon the pun - with class-ness added) to the instruments etc

80sChav

Comment

I saw the repeats in the '80s, and my parents had a "best of" cassette. My favourite was Mike Nesmith with his bobble hat, and he's a pretty credible musician and singer too.

Comment

IIRC Davy Jones & Micky Dolenz were better at acting, and Mike Nesmith & Peter Tork had stronger music skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      IIRC Davy Jones & Micky Dolenz were better at acting, and Mike Nesmith & Peter Tork had stronger music skills.
                      As I have read though Richard, I think the others thought of Davey as it being his band (though it was'nt) and they where all part of the act. To/for me Davey can probably equal Elvis and The Beatles as the first ever Pin-uo Pop Star.

80sChav

Comment

Micky Dolenz directed the TV show Metal Mickey!
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Micky Dolenz also created a prototype MTV music show for American TV a bit before that, Kid Video IIRC.

Comment

I grew up on Monkees repeats in the 70s and 80s...
                            My mum and dad had a 60s boxed set of vinyls(mail order) that came with a Monkees LP as a free gift. It lived in my room for years. Think I probably still have it in the loft.
                            I saw them live in the late 90s in Manchester. Great show .

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to the US in 1986 and MTV had them on heavy rotation
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The Monkees were a group of people brought together by tv producers and manufactured for the tv show "the monkees" such was the success of the show the group quickly grew in popularity as recording artists and sold millions of records, davy jones got his first taste of fame in coronation street no less!
                                I watched a tv biography of Jimi hendrix recently and he actually toured as support for the Monkees but was pulled from the tour midway due to the obvious difference in styles.
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X