Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Monkees

Default Re: The Monkees

Underrated as musicians IMO
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Still got VHS tapes of the Monkees. Lol.

And somewhere,an annual of Micky Dolenz as "The Circus Boy" 1956. As a child actor.

Back in the mid-60's, I lived next to Chris Andrews and Davy Jones was a friend of his and regular visitor. He would often join us for a kickabout. Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Underrated as musicians IMO
    Mmm, i heard they didn't actually play on the records and that they were just actors playing the part of a pop group?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Mmm, i heard they didn't actually play on the records and that they were just actors playing the part of a pop group?
    That's pretty much how they started. They eventually split from their management and recording deals because they wanted to play their own instruments and record their own music. They got their wish but had very little commercial success afterwards. Saw them live in Manchester about 1997 and they put on a great show..

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Davy Jones & Micky Dolenz were mostly actors and Mike Naismith & Peter Tork were mostly singers & musicians to balance things out.

The Monkees were roughly built around Davy, but while he could sing OK, the only instrument he could play were the drums, but the management didn't want him stuck at the back.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Probably it's fair to say that the Monees were the best Angglo British-American 60s group male-wise

The guy from Manchester - Davy had looks to charm anybody, I can only imagine men wanted to be him as and i bet that men just like Women fancied him too (he was so athletic to boot) ... add all that tot their music and as Neighbours say's "you have the perfect blend"!! Even about 27 to his early 30s he looked only 19 if that

Put simly the Monkees had the lot ... the looks, the music, their own TV Shows and many a hit song too like Daydream Believer and The Last Train To Clarksville!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz60 View Post
    Still got VHS tapes of the Monkees. Lol.

And somewhere,an annual of Micky Dolenz as "The Circus Boy" 1956. As a child actor.
    They were shown on BBC 1 in the early 1980s in that post-children's TV, pre-Nationwide slot.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

On an interesting side note, Scott McKenzie, Who had a massive hit in the 1967 "summer of love" , with "San Francisco" , had an audition when the Monkees's were being formed. He didn't make the grade....

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk