Ladybird Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ladybird Books

My friend bought me these online for Christmas, I was delighted! My son owns the two horror classics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladybird books.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	260116

Comment

I used to have 'The Mummy' one....I wonder if I've still got it, I didn't throw it away I know that...

Comment

those are gorgeous ann.

you must have been beaming for a long time when you got these.

pretty sure i had cinderella and sleeping beauty.

can imagine they cost your mate quite a bit.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was delighted Darren..it was very thoughtful of her. The Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were a special surprise. I'd love the Snow White edition. I remember the witch tempted her with a set of stays for her bodice and a poisoned comb before the apple....like the original Grimm story. I can remember the cover, it had a brown background and Snow White was lying there with her hair all silky, spread out on the pillow with the dwarves all around her. I'd love the Rapunzel one too.

Comment

books like these ladybird books are more than books to me.
            these are books that kids and adults will always love.

ill bet you get all fuzzy inside when you see and read them ann.

i never had the horror ones.

never knew they did horror stories.

i see the horror ones had a red bat on the cover so you knew they where horror.

i remember now that i had the gingerbread boy that one really sticks in my mind.

ifi remember ill keep a look out for more ladybird books foryou.

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
            I was delighted Darren..it was very thoughtful of her. The Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were a special surprise. I'd love the Snow White edition. I remember the witch tempted her with a set of stays for her bodice and a poisoned comb before the apple....like the original Grimm story. I can remember the cover, it had a brown background and Snow White was lying there with her hair all silky, spread out on the pillow with the dwarves all around her. I'd love the Rapunzel one too.

Comment

Was in a charity shop today and saw tons of ladybird books must have been at least 15.
              some from around 2005 monsters inc was ione.

they looked to be more or less square in shape.

a few i can think of are the bus stop and the school stop.

and yes they look as beautiful as they did way back.

a few i saw from 1995 ish.

Comment

"I always remember the cover to 'Beauty and the beast' - it traumatised me and scared me to death and gave me nightmares for weeks. It got so bad that my mum had to go to school and complain about it.

Here's the offending book cover:-

Yes, looks innocent but in the eyes of a 6 year old it was very frightening".

If you think a woman sat talking to an ape-man is scary, I used to have a Ladybird book on the history of medicine & on one page there was a picture of a couple of surgeons just about to amputate the leg of a terrified patient with no anaesthetic in the presence of his family.
                I wouldn't like to think they ever did that in front of kids. Its surprising nowadays to think that when anaesthesia was first invented it was opposed by some surgeons who regarded it as cowardly.
                Last edited by philipdalton; 19-12-2012, 21:58.
                "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I love the lady bird books got my kids on them i always pick em up when walking round the boot sales
                  THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Does anyone remember the Ladybird book on building a transistor radio?
                    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I remember these Ladybird books, we also had loads of these in primary school. I loved the ones about things like:- The Road Makers, The Car Makers, The Story of Television, The Story of Lighthouses Lightships and Lifeboats, and there was a few Ladybird books on the Motorcar which would show you cars like the Mini, Ford Zephyr mk4, etc etc and give you the details about each model.

Comment

one of my fav books was the story of Snow White and Rose Red

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                          one of my fav books was the story of Snow White and Rose Red
                          I used to like that one, it's somewhere in my parents loft with our other Ladybird books.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                            We were heavy on the Ladybird books when I was at junior school in the 70's. A great range of books for kids - some educational, some stories. I always remember the cover to 'Beauty and the beast' - it traumatised me and scared me to death and gave me nightmares for weeks. It got so bad that my mum had to go to school and complain about it.

Here's the offending book cover:-

Doesn't look too bad as far as 'beasts' go. Perhaps they thought simian features would be less sinister for children though obviously not in Kiop's case!
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I noticed a copy of the Ladybird book "Your Body" in the charity shop where I help out recently. That's another one I used to have.

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post
                                I noticed a copy of the Ladybird book "Your Body" in the charity shop where I help out recently. That's another one I used to have.
                                http://www.arranalexander.co.uk/vint...967-2174-p.asp

Comment

Working...
                                X