X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaijin
    replied
    Re: 70's sweets

I always remember my dad coming back from the shipyards with a huge bag of cinder-toffee and a can of Strike Cola. I used to LOVE Strike Cola because the cans were made from aluminium (the first ones to do so). I had no idea of this at the time, since I was only about 5 or 6. All I knew was, when my dad gave me a tin of Strike Cola, after I finished it, I could crush the can in one hand. I always thought I was so strong. Dad didn't have the heart to tell me it was because the can was aluminium.

Post-edit: Oh and Parma-Violets. Apparently they're still around and they even do GIANT Parma-Violets.

Just had a flashback. At our caravan site there was a farmhouse right up on the moors - about a 15 minute walk away. We used to trek up there because the lady used to sell us Traffic-Lights lollies for 1p each. They started red, then as you sucked them, they turned yellow, then green. Ah happy days.
    Last edited by Gaijin; 20-09-2014, 17:02.

Leave a comment:

• HIPPIEDAVE61
    replied

Sweet tobacco was spanish gold.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

I remember my friend having floral gums, & they seemed very strange tasting.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by the double deckers View Post
    Sweet tobacco is still available. i had some last week. got it online. yum still tastes the same
    Floral Gums, Chewing Nuts, Chocolate Tools and Aniseed Balls are all available on ebay.

Personalised Pink Panther bars here "The Pink Panther" Personalised Loot Bag Chocolate Bars on eBay (end time 29-Sep-09 22:00:00 BST) Don't know if they're the original pink chocolate, they were yummy

Leave a comment:

• Timeslipper
    replied
    Re: 70's sweets-ALMOND ISLANDS?

Nestles Almond Islands chunky chocolate bar with almonds and toffee, wasn't around for long, cant find anyone who remembers it.

Leave a comment:

• the double deckers
    replied

Originally posted by kabrluja77 View Post
    Who still daydreams about 'sweet tobacco', chewing nuts, pink panther choc bars, chocolate tools, aniseed balls, and floral gums??????? luv 2 hear from u!!
    Sweet tobacco is still available. i had some last week. got it online. yum still tastes the same
    Last edited by Heather74; 20-09-2009, 11:39. Reason: removing sales link!

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied

Saw some Coltsfoot for sale in a sweetie shop today, but I'm sure last time I bought some it had a different name?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I don't think I did like it that much Kaz, can't remember who kept buying the stuff but hey, it was sweet so I'd eat it

Leave a comment:

• kazboot
    replied

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post

I'd forgotten all about this stuff! Coltsfoot Rock, liquorice/aniseed flavour.
    Urrgh! I don't remember that, but it sounds horrid. Did you like it Claudine?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'd forgotten all about this stuff! Coltsfoot Rock, liquorice/aniseed flavour.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by ceg56 View Post
    does anyone remember "IMPS"
    they were tiny squares of very strong hard liquorice
    Here you go Ceg56 mighty imps, Home Garden items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

I'm a Victory V girl myself.

Leave a comment:

• kabrluja77
    replied

Loved chewing nuts and sweet tobacco, does anyone remember "IMPS"
    they were tiny squares of very strong hard liquorice and were sold in small boxes - have done a search on them, but cannot find anything on them (where are you Daz and Oggy - search Kings of DYR!! )

Another sweet I remember and you use to be able to buy them loose, was small soft chewy toffee lumps with coconut mixed in the toffee - can't remember what they were called, really nice though
    omg, I found some 'IMPS' in a shop in Blackpool.......couldn't believe it, I hadn't seen them for about 30yrs+, just had to buy them!

Leave a comment:

• justkim
    replied

Loved the sweet tobacco and saw it being sold loose in a shop last weekend. One of those shops that sold the old fashioned sweets in the large jars. Only thing was some of the sweets looked as though they had been there since the 70's, shame they had some really good ones as well.

THis stuff was called spanish gold.... i lovvvved it !

Leave a comment:

• Optimusprime
    replied

I got a cool retro hamper for my 30th Birthday
    Last edited by Heather74; 31-01-2008, 17:38.

Leave a comment:

• Mischief
    replied

Have a look at this website, they have lots of retro sweets for sale!

http://www.keepitsweet.co.uk
    Last edited by Mischief; 04-04-2007, 13:11. Reason: missed out web address

Leave a comment:

Working...
X