Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wimpy

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
    BTW the Manchester Wimpy was blown up in 1996, it never reopened!
    There were 3 branches in the city centre. One in Piccadilly which became a Burger King, one in the Arndale Centre which IIRC became a Mothercare store and the one that you refer to on Market Street which became a Mcds and is now a Mobile phone shop. I wish they'd open another because Mcds just are not up to the same standard.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

There's one in Romford, Essex that I visit from time to time. It's still the same as it's always been (except now they are modernising, going down the minimalist McDonald's route). Their wimpy burgers are awesome anyway... their 'special' sauce is basically the same as the stuff you get in Big Macs. I don't mind it in there because it's not usually that busy and the prices are pretty reasonable considering you get a more cafe experience. The 'bender in a bun' item on the menu always makes me chuckle.

I'm surprised they are still going though considering the dominance of McD's and the like. I think they used to be popular meeting places for teens (before my time really) but now they are usually full of teenage mums with their kids during the day. I prefer to see that though... All I see are yuppies and recruitment consultants clogging up Starbucks and Pret in London. I'd prefer to see chavs in Wimpy any day!

Comment

When I went to Brean Leisure Park (south of Weston-super-Mare) last September I had a cappuccino coffee at the Wimpy there, but was a bit disappointed with it.

To be honest I'm surprised Wimpy is still going. I thought all the Wimpy branches in the UK changed to Burger King in the early 1990s (circa 1990-92).
        I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

surprised myself any of them are still about.

i suppose as this one you went to has been around so long customers do not go to it as much as they used to.
          you say you where disappointed with it is that because it was a bit run down etc.

so burger king bought them over but why not all the wimpy stores.

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
          When I went to Brean Leisure Park (south of Weston-super-Mare) last September I had a cappuccino coffee at the Wimpy there, but was a bit disappointed with it.

To be honest I'm surprised Wimpy is still going. I thought all the Wimpy branches in the UK changed to Burger King in the early 1990s (circa 1990-92).
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
            There were 3 branches in the city centre. One in Piccadilly which became a Burger King, one in the Arndale Centre which IIRC became a Mothercare store and the one that you refer to on Market Street which became a Mcds and is now a Mobile phone shop. I wish they'd open another because Mcds just are not up to the same standard.
            No, the one im thinking of back in 96 was on the top floor of the Arndale, on the bit where it led to the indoor market. It was a tiny shop front but went back a fair way. Last time I was in MCR there was a new wimpy in Salford Precinc, they still did the £1.99 burger and chips offer! Never knew of those other Wimpys in Manchester, I moved there in 96 and obviously missed out on three Wimpys in one city!
            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

There are no Wimpys anymore in Cardiff. The nearest one is in Caerphilly. I loved their thick shakes.
              I recently bought a Mr Wimpy badge on ebay, got it today.

Comment

Wimpy produced many good sets of badges with Mr Wimpy on them back in the 80's.They are much better quality then the later McDonald ones and certainly much more interesting.

Comment

Believe it or not, a brand new Wimpy opened up in my town only 3 or 4 years ago.
                  The old one was demolished, and it must have been popular enough to warrant a new one opening up.
                  They seem to do pretty well, it's always fairly busy.
                  Gonna pay them a visit in the week, hopefully they will be horse free.

Comment

There's a Wimpy at Bowburn Services, Jn 61 on the A1. I mystery shopped it some five years ago, and it made me ill. I had fried chicken and food poisoning.

Comment

• Re: Wimpy

MacDonalds aren't up to any kind of standard. Teesside was closed down a few years ago, they found 'male bodily fluids' in a burger. Manager sacked. A few years ago, there was a forum, called McDoof, run by McD staff. They were all exceedingly disenfranchised, since i read the posts on there I just looked at the food if mystery shopping, never tasted it again. The things they talked about doing. I know the managers all signed up to mystery shop, did their competitor branches and marked them down. McD demanded to know all our names and addresses so they could cross check manager addresses. We all said no, of course.

Burger King is much better. Has fantastically low staff churn and staff only stay in the same place if they're happy, well looked after and respected.

Comment

• I know that the Wimpy in Nottingham Broad Marsh only closed a year or two ago due to the redevelopment - no doubt that McDonald's would more likely to have taken it over.

I was in a Wimpy which later became Burger King (and is now empty with a TO LET sign outside) and I went on my birthday - family member told staff member about it and they had given me a special pocket jigsaw where you have to move the squares to get the picture right.

In around the late 1980s - 1990-ish they had a cartoon mascot which reminded me of Mr Silly from the Mr Men - anyone remember it? My "present" had a picture of him on it!
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X