Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wimpy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • andrec
    replied
    I think our nearest Wimpy was in Wolverhampton, and as we went there only two or three times a year I would always want to go there. This would have been in the 70s and into the 80s. There were no fast food places near us other than a Chinese take-away and several fish and chip shops. I can't remember quality being bad, but then again I really didn't have anything to compare it against other than burgers at home. I haven't been to Wolverhampton in decades so no idea if the Wimpy is still there.

    Leave a comment:


  • culnara
    replied
    We've still got a wimpy Click image for larger version

Name:	wimre.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	303555

    Leave a comment:


  • 60s Kid
    replied
    I liked them - they were the first burger place I recall selling a spicy beanburger in a wholemeal bun!

    Leave a comment:


  • 60s Kid
    replied
    There are 58 Wimpy branches across the UK in 2024 - 12 are in London, 11 in Essex. I worked in a branch in Essex in 1974 when I was 16. I was on drinks & desserts inc. Coke floats.

    Leave a comment:


  • 80sChav
    replied
    Another Wimpy Menu sent to me by a friend!! Not sure of the date etc

    Leave a comment:


  • 80sChav
    replied
    I think that this is a quite recent photo, but here is a pic of a Wimpy I have just been given


    It is in Stafford I understand

    Here is a 2nd pic of it too

    Leave a comment:


  • George 1978
    replied
    I know that the Wimpy in Nottingham Broad Marsh only closed a year or two ago due to the redevelopment - no doubt that McDonald's would more likely to have taken it over.

    I was in a Wimpy which later became Burger King (and is now empty with a TO LET sign outside) and I went on my birthday - family member told staff member about it and they had given me a special pocket jigsaw where you have to move the squares to get the picture right.

    In around the late 1980s - 1990-ish they had a cartoon mascot which reminded me of Mr Silly from the Mr Men - anyone remember it? My "present" had a picture of him on it!

    Leave a comment:


  • Happymama
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    MacDonalds aren't up to any kind of standard. Teesside was closed down a few years ago, they found 'male bodily fluids' in a burger. Manager sacked. A few years ago, there was a forum, called McDoof, run by McD staff. They were all exceedingly disenfranchised, since i read the posts on there I just looked at the food if mystery shopping, never tasted it again. The things they talked about doing. I know the managers all signed up to mystery shop, did their competitor branches and marked them down. McD demanded to know all our names and addresses so they could cross check manager addresses. We all said no, of course.

    Burger King is much better. Has fantastically low staff churn and staff only stay in the same place if they're happy, well looked after and respected.

    Leave a comment:


  • Happymama
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    There's a Wimpy at Bowburn Services, Jn 61 on the A1. I mystery shopped it some five years ago, and it made me ill. I had fried chicken and food poisoning.

    Leave a comment:


  • DemonEyeX
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Believe it or not, a brand new Wimpy opened up in my town only 3 or 4 years ago.
    The old one was demolished, and it must have been popular enough to warrant a new one opening up.
    They seem to do pretty well, it's always fairly busy.
    Gonna pay them a visit in the week, hopefully they will be horse free.

    Leave a comment:


  • battyrat
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Wimpy produced many good sets of badges with Mr Wimpy on them back in the 80's.They are much better quality then the later McDonald ones and certainly much more interesting.

    Leave a comment:


  • wispa lover
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    There are no Wimpys anymore in Cardiff. The nearest one is in Caerphilly. I loved their thick shakes.
    I recently bought a Mr Wimpy badge on ebay, got it today.

    Leave a comment:


  • Retrogames
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by branny View Post
    There were 3 branches in the city centre. One in Piccadilly which became a Burger King, one in the Arndale Centre which IIRC became a Mothercare store and the one that you refer to on Market Street which became a Mcds and is now a Mobile phone shop. I wish they'd open another because Mcds just are not up to the same standard.
    No, the one im thinking of back in 96 was on the top floor of the Arndale, on the bit where it led to the indoor market. It was a tiny shop front but went back a fair way. Last time I was in MCR there was a new wimpy in Salford Precinc, they still did the £1.99 burger and chips offer! Never knew of those other Wimpys in Manchester, I moved there in 96 and obviously missed out on three Wimpys in one city!

    Leave a comment:


  • darren
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    surprised myself any of them are still about.

    i suppose as this one you went to has been around so long customers do not go to it as much as they used to.
    you say you where disappointed with it is that because it was a bit run down etc.

    so burger king bought them over but why not all the wimpy stores.

    Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
    When I went to Brean Leisure Park (south of Weston-super-Mare) last September I had a cappuccino coffee at the Wimpy there, but was a bit disappointed with it.

    To be honest I'm surprised Wimpy is still going. I thought all the Wimpy branches in the UK changed to Burger King in the early 1990s (circa 1990-92).

    Leave a comment:


  • Star Attraction
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    When I went to Brean Leisure Park (south of Weston-super-Mare) last September I had a cappuccino coffee at the Wimpy there, but was a bit disappointed with it.

    To be honest I'm surprised Wimpy is still going. I thought all the Wimpy branches in the UK changed to Burger King in the early 1990s (circa 1990-92).

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X