Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wimpy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Razed
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    There's one in Romford, Essex that I visit from time to time. It's still the same as it's always been (except now they are modernising, going down the minimalist McDonald's route). Their wimpy burgers are awesome anyway... their 'special' sauce is basically the same as the stuff you get in Big Macs. I don't mind it in there because it's not usually that busy and the prices are pretty reasonable considering you get a more cafe experience. The 'bender in a bun' item on the menu always makes me chuckle.

    I'm surprised they are still going though considering the dominance of McD's and the like. I think they used to be popular meeting places for teens (before my time really) but now they are usually full of teenage mums with their kids during the day. I prefer to see that though... All I see are yuppies and recruitment consultants clogging up Starbucks and Pret in London. I'd prefer to see chavs in Wimpy any day!

    Leave a comment:


  • branny
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
    BTW the Manchester Wimpy was blown up in 1996, it never reopened!
    There were 3 branches in the city centre. One in Piccadilly which became a Burger King, one in the Arndale Centre which IIRC became a Mothercare store and the one that you refer to on Market Street which became a Mcds and is now a Mobile phone shop. I wish they'd open another because Mcds just are not up to the same standard.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I'd love to go to a Wimpy again. I remember the mascot Mr Wimpy too...loved his big round nose and no eyes look...bit like Andy Cap from the newspaper strip...maybe that was an influence?

    I've also remembered where the local one was in town, now its a stupid Tesco Metro/Express whatever - corporate - greed - infecting - our - towns! Mum used to buy me a Wimpy Burger and fries from there from the kids menu many a time for me to take away when we were in town together as a kid of around 8 or 10 years old...

    Leave a comment:


  • 80sChav
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I always liked Wimpy very much, I know Wimpy was the "in place" in terms of fast food places of it's like say from about the late 70s to 1985/86/87. For me I thought compared to MacDonalds - Wimpy was 10 times better if not more, then though sadly after Burger King became popular Wimpy became terrible I thought.

    I like how they have re-invented themselves now though with a good choice and varying menu. I know afew exist near me but not exactly nearly though, the nearest two 2 Towns that have one are about 25 Miles from me.

    80sChav

    Leave a comment:


  • djspenna
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    When i was younger i got a Saturday/part-time job at my local Wimpy in Walsall, West Midlands. At the time I was allowed to have a certain allowance of food for my lunch, which was 30p x amount of hours working on that day. So 8 hr day would get me £2.40 worth of food. Doesn't sound a lot now, but i was probably working there around 1986/1987.........and believe me i'm a big eater !!!

    I also have memories of having to dress up as Mr Wimpy for kids parties and to walk around the local town giving out promotional flyers !!!

    The one other lasting memory is that the apple pies were so much nicer than the ones sold over the road at the place with the golden arches !!!

    Aaaahhhh happy days !!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Roxxy
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    This is WEIRD, I was thinking of posting a memory about Wimpy bars myself only a few days ago!! 'Mr. Wimpy' was introduced as their promo. character c.1980, a fat little person dressed as a Beefeater with a big nose and his hat pulled down over his eyes. I recall the TV jingle- "I'm your friendly Mr.Wimpy, follow me, to the place where every kiddie loves to be- inside a Wimpy!" He had his own comic that you got free with every order, plus colouring books etc., although Wimpy merchandise never went anything like as far as McDonalds.
    Wimpy bars are mentioned in the Jethro Tull song 'Up To Me', on their 'Aqualung' album from '71.

    Leave a comment:


  • Richard1978
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    That menu is from South Africa, I thought I read somewhere (Wikipedia?) there were Wimpys there.

    Leave a comment:


  • CitizenKeyne
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Leave a comment:


  • old git
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by sixtyten View Post


    Note to self.. go to Wimpy
    Croydon branch been open as long as I can remember, though seen other ones in other smaller towns go to the wall.

    The one in Portslade, Brighton where I used to live seemed to be populated exclusively by the.. er, how can I say this politely? "mentally retarded"?

    Odd too, that the Hove branch of Wimpy closed, only to be replaced by a crappy Chicken Cottage place, which was next door to KFC! (I know where I'd go for my chicken)
    Yet the place in Portslade (a far less well know area) is still doing roaring trade!
    Is the Croydon one still there? I seem to remember it being taken over by BurgerKing?

    Leave a comment:


  • fatpizzaman
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    My mother used to work in a Wimpy bar as a waitress back in the 60's just before she got married. I went to one once in London and it was very clean, staff were friendly, and we got the meals with a knife and fork as well. I don't think I'd go to one today though now that I've become a vegetarian.

    Leave a comment:


  • darren
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    f i had the money id do it. im a bit shocked its still survived when other chains have bit the dust.
    saying it has the menu as it did 3 decades ago.

    be interesting to find out if we have any over here where iam that are still going.
    it must be more than just its menu that has kept it going.

    Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
    I've wanted to purchase a Wimpy franchise for a few years now, they are astoundingly good value, about a third of the cost of a Subway and the owner support is apparently of a very high quality. Unfortunately all of our local seaside towns in North Wales are essentially ghost towns at the moment, so as I would want to hire a manager and not run the place myself there seems to be more risk than reward. I'd love to see someone chance it though, it has to be the only chain that has the same menu as it did thirty years ago.

    BTW the Manchester Wimpy was blown up in 1996, it never reopened!

    Leave a comment:


  • Retrogames
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I've wanted to purchase a Wimpy franchise for a few years now, they are astoundingly good value, about a third of the cost of a Subway and the owner support is apparently of a very high quality. Unfortunately all of our local seaside towns in North Wales are essentially ghost towns at the moment, so as I would want to hire a manager and not run the place myself there seems to be more risk than reward. I'd love to see someone chance it though, it has to be the only chain that has the same menu as it did thirty years ago.

    BTW the Manchester Wimpy was blown up in 1996, it never reopened!

    Leave a comment:


  • battyrat
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Went past what was our ole Wimpy earlier this morning.Strange really that it's a coffee bar venue now.Still set out the same inside.The cooking area is still the same and the tables are in the identicle places they used to be in the 70's.I will have to go in and see if any of the old red and brown colour scheme still survives in some dark corner.
    The strange thing is I can remember them alternating between coca cola and pepsi cola at certain times.Glass bottles of pepsi or cola being served with a straw in top.Hmmm.....looking at some ole badges they had the famous Bender biter,cheesburger chomper,chicken dippers,fish finger fiend,and something called the hamburger hero(if the last one was actually food I'm uncertain).The brown derby and bananna splits were divine with the crowning glory of the Knickerbockerglory center stage on the menus.Oh how I wanted one of those but good ole mum said I would never eat it as it was far too much.I expect really it was more to do with the price of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • sixtyten
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by cockneykid1962 View Post
    "It was once called 'good manners'.." she eventually said


    Note to self.. go to Wimpy
    Croydon branch been open as long as I can remember, though seen other ones in other smaller towns go to the wall.

    The one in Portslade, Brighton where I used to live seemed to be populated exclusively by the.. er, how can I say this politely? "mentally retarded"?

    Odd too, that the Hove branch of Wimpy closed, only to be replaced by a crappy Chicken Cottage place, which was next door to KFC! (I know where I'd go for my chicken)
    Yet the place in Portslade (a far less well know area) is still doing roaring trade!
    Last edited by sixtyten; 22-04-2012, 03:47.

    Leave a comment:


  • culnara
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Here's our one, still going strong

    http://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=&laye...=0CBcQnwIoADAD

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X