Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wimpy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • darren
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by battyrat View Post
    I believe the companys name was derived from J.Wellington Wimpey from popeye.It seems to fit a burger bar like a glove.Wimpy must be one of the oldest surviving burger bars in the UK.
    good to see it still oes survive in a time when many companies have closed down for whatever reason.

    must admit there ads are very good.

    Leave a comment:


  • battyrat
    replied
    Re: Wimpy


    I believe the companys name was derived from J.Wellington Wimpey from popeye.It seems to fit a burger bar like a glove.Wimpy must be one of the oldest surviving burger bars in the UK.

    Leave a comment:


  • Richard1978
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I was surprised to see a very old school Wimpy in Wellingborough or Rushden when visiting relatives in 1998.

    A lot became Burger King in the early 1990s.

    The only Wimpys I've seen in recent years have been at Motorway services.

    Leave a comment:


  • NaughtyVicar
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    The used to do something called a 'Bender' snigger

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Re: Wimpy

    We used to have a Wimpy in my town - long since gone now, surprised they're still going.

    Leave a comment:


  • shilton dipper
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    the wimpy here has been totally done out in the last year..........it has folding doors at the front thats very different and means people can eat outside if they wish.........can't say i would though as its actually situated in the road where the all the town bus stops are (bus alley) and queues of people waitng where many of them smoke

    Leave a comment:


  • cockneykid1962
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    A few weeks ago my wife and I took my teenage twins to a seaside town in Dorset called Swanage, which delightfully seems to to have stopped progressing from about 1972!

    Anyway, tucked away in one of the side streets was a Wimpy bar and my heart skipped, not having seen one for a fair few years (there was one in Bournemouth, where I currently live, but that bit the dust as most seem to have done). We were short on time, otherwise I would have gladly gone in, but just looking at the menu brought back some great memories. One of the twins asked why customers were eating with knives and forks if it was meant to be a burger place...my wife and I could only look silently at each other in resignation of the past..."It was once called 'good manners'.." she eventually said...I couldn't have put it better myself....

    Leave a comment:


  • stuckinthe80's
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    As a side note, I've always wondered if Wimpy has any connection to Wimpy the hamburger-munching character in Popeye, or is it just coincidence?
    I think it's just a coincidence! Be good if it wasn't though!

    Leave a comment:


  • battyrat
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    It was a rare treat to go to our local Wimpy bar.Can always remember the burgers tasting like home cooked burgers.Much better then the later funny tasting McD ones.In fact I quite miss our local Wimpy.

    Leave a comment:


  • Trickyvee
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    As a side note, I've always wondered if Wimpy has any connection to Wimpy the hamburger-munching character in Popeye, or is it just coincidence?

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Re: Wimpy

    We've never had a Wimpy bar near here, I only used to go to one when on holiday in Folkestone in the 1970's (500+ miles away!).

    I loved the cheeseburgers and the aforementioned finely diced onions. Washed down by a strawberry milkshake, braw!

    Later on (in the late 70's early 80's) I remember getting badges and hats etc. from there with that beefeater mascot on (his hat was always over his eyes etc..).

    I doubt if the Folkestone Wimpy bar is there now? Can any SE Coast doyourememberers enlighten me.

    Leave a comment:


  • NaughtyVicar
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I used to love Wimpy, but have not seen one in years.

    They used to finely dice onions and put them on the top of the hamburger.....oh baby

    Leave a comment:


  • darren
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    i live in a small town and im pretty sure we never had a wimpy.
    they where the macdonalds of there time.


    Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    Never went to Wimpy because I was a strange child who didn't like burgers. I remember the one in Newcastle that changed into a Burger King and I'm sure there was another in the Newgate(?) shopping centre that lasted longer as a Wimpy. Thought they'd completely gone from my area by the early 90's but their web site says there is one in a suburb of Newcastle. TBH I thought all Wimpys had gone.

    Leave a comment:


  • Trickyvee
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Never went to Wimpy because I was a strange child who didn't like burgers. I remember the one in Newcastle that changed into a Burger King and I'm sure there was another in the Newgate(?) shopping centre that lasted longer as a Wimpy. Thought they'd completely gone from my area by the early 90's but their web site says there is one in a suburb of Newcastle. TBH I thought all Wimpys had gone.

    Leave a comment:


  • darren
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    a wimpy add from 1981

    http://youtu.be/BMrwNzAAjbs

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X