Discontinued drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discontinued drinks

I remember there was a fuss about Sunny Delight making people turn yellow if they drank too much & wouldn't have been the thing my Mum would have bought.

Virgin Cola was sold at my local cinema when it was Virgin branded. Richard Branson had an idea about selling it at the megastores but found the logistics didn't add up.

Does anyone remember the Nemesis drink that was launched the same time as the Alton Towers ride? It was bright purple IIRC.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Cant think of nemesis myself not the drink but sunny d i loved i drank so much of it so many ads on tv for it too.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
      i remember there was a fuss about sunny delight making people turn yellow if they drank too much & wouldn't have been the thing my mum would have bought.

Virgin cola was sold at my local cinema when it was virgin branded. Richard branson had an idea about selling it at the megastores but found the logistics didn't add up.

Does anyone remember the nemesis drink that was launched the same time as the alton towers ride? It was bright purple iirc.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sunny Delight was a right swindle. Many parents were deceived by its appearance and location in the chiller cabinet that it was a healthy drink for their kids who demanded it when in reality it contained just a miserly 2% orange juice and mountains of sugar. It was a drink that came out of nowhere and in less than a year after it was launched with over £10 million spent on advertising it had become the third biggest selling drink in Britain.

Comment

Top Deck. Beautiful stuff from my childhood in the 80s. Their Lemonade and Cider was delicious
          Attached Files
          ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Originally posted by Markxist View Post

Top Deck. Beautiful stuff from my childhood in the 80s. Their Lemonade and Cider was delicious
            I remember Top Deck was mentioned in another thread, it seemed to vanish by the end of the 1980s.

One Cal was aaround at the same time, & I remember having a can or 2.

Comment

Yeah they just went AWOL sometime in the early 90s I think. I remember the lemonade and cider was discontinued well before the game was finally up for them and that they seemed to be just selling (if memory serves) a shandy and an orange drink with completely different packaging in the end. I wonder if the alcohol content was what eventually ended it?

Anyone remember Mountain Dew and its big attempt on the market here in the UK around '95? I recall an ad campaign with 3-2-1's Ted Roger's dressed up as a werewolf! Big in the States I think it died a death here.
              ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Loved this it just disappeared without a trace.
                Why did it go do we know the reason.

Originally posted by

markxist;200388

top deck. Beautiful stuff from my childhood in the 80s. Their lemonade and cider was delicious
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Markxist View Post
                  Yeah they just went AWOL sometime in the early 90s I think. I remember the lemonade and cider was discontinued well before the game was finally up for them and that they seemed to be just selling (if memory serves) a shandy and an orange drink with completely different packaging in the end. I wonder if the alcohol content was what eventually ended it?

Anyone remember Mountain Dew and its big attempt on the market here in the UK around '95? I recall an ad campaign with 3-2-1's Ted Roger's dressed up as a werewolf! Big in the States I think it died a death here.
                  While it didn't catch on in a big way I'm sure Mountain Dew still sold enough to be kept on sale.

Comment

A local Kurd shop sells Mountain Dew in 2.25L bottles. I bought one today. The label is all in Arabic so it looks like it is a grey import from the Middle East. The same shop also sells various interesting tins of food from Iran that are not sold in supermarkets or chain stores.

Comment

B&M sell Mountain Dew.
                      Heather

Comment

What was the name of the orange juice in a can with a picture of the sun on it that began with M and sounded pseudoJapanese?

Comment

I remember instant tea being sold for a few months in the mid 1990s, which never caught on in spite of having some quirky advertising.

Comment

Typhoo QT still exists. So does Red Mountain and Mellow Birds coffee.

Comment

We used to get powdered (powdered!) orange juice from Kellogs...
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Mountain Dew seems fairly widely available now but it did disappear for a good few years after its initial launch here. IIRC the drink itself used to be neon yellow. The bottle is these days (or was when I last noticed) but the drink is not.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X