Discontinued drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discontinued drinks

As a kid I fancied myself as being very sophisticated drinking cans of Top Deck or Maid Marian Lager and Lime or Shandy. I also used to love Raspberry flavour creamola foam ( like Andrews Liver Salts but sweet and fruity!)

The drink I really lament the passing of is Acqua Libra, which disappeared about 20 years or so ago - anyone else remember it? It was from the same sort of drink as Ame or Schloer, but was melon based and VERY alkaline, so great for settling your tum.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
      As a kid I fancied myself as being very sophisticated drinking cans of Top Deck or Maid Marian Lager and Lime or Shandy. I also used to love Raspberry flavour creamola foam ( like Andrews Liver Salts but sweet and fruity!)

The drink I really lament the passing of is Acqua Libra, which disappeared about 20 years or so ago - anyone else remember it? It was from the same sort of drink as Ame or Schloer, but was melon based and VERY alkaline, so great for settling your tum.
      They still sell it

Comment

Never heard of aqua libra sounds lovely and yes i drank lots of shandy made me feel very grown up.
        Originally posted by mazzer View Post
        as a kid i fancied myself as being very sophisticated drinking cans of top deck or maid marian lager and lime or shandy. I also used to love raspberry flavour creamola foam ( like andrews liver salts but sweet and fruity!)

the drink i really lament the passing of is acqua libra, which disappeared about 20 years or so ago - anyone else remember it? It was from the same sort of drink as ame or schloer, but was melon based and very alkaline, so great for settling your tum.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The 90s had to be the heyday for drinks. Who remembers Still Tango which came in a black bottle? Or Panda pops? I still miss Panda Pops cola, and also Panda Pops Strawberry Jelly and Ice cream. Virgin Cola was nice which at one point came in 'The Pammy Bottle'- an ode to Pamela Andersons ample bosom. lol. Sunny Delight was amazing too, Florida and California Style. Lost a lot of business after reports of a boy turning orange, which must of been urban legend!

A common theme with most of these drinks is that for whatever reason they had to reduce the sugar content which altered the flavour, leading to them being discontinued. This was the reason for the tragic demise of Panda pops which i remember being very popular. Sunny delight is still sold but is completely different with reduced sugar. For this reason many drinks these days bear almost no resemblance to the original taste. Cans of Fanta and Sprite now have around 100 calories where they used to have the same as Coke at about 140. They taste like cr*p.

What other drinks do we remember from the 90s?

Comment

There was a Nemesis drink to tie-in with the Alton Towers ride, I think it was a Virgin drink.

Tab Clear with it's weird marketing where it was sold cheap for a few months then almost doubled in price, at which point most people stopped buying it.

Geo(?) with it's ring pull free can, which only seemed to be sold at Sainsbuy's.

For a time in the mid 1990s there we a range of sweet flavoured drinks such as Refreshers.

There seemed to be lots of limited edition can designs & flavours around in the 1990s, & this trend has continused a but.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamFischer View Post
              The 90s had to be the heyday for drinks. Who remembers Still Tango which came in a black bottle? Or Panda pops? I still miss Panda Pops cola, and also Panda Pops Strawberry Jelly and Ice cream. Virgin Cola was nice which at one point came in 'The Pammy Bottle'- an ode to Pamela Andersons ample bosom. lol. Sunny Delight was amazing too, Florida and California Style. Lost a lot of business after reports of a boy turning orange, which must of been urban legend!

A common theme with most of these drinks is that for whatever reason they had to reduce the sugar content which altered the flavour, leading to them being discontinued. This was the reason for the tragic demise of Panda pops which i remember being very popular. Sunny delight is still sold but is completely different with reduced sugar. For this reason many drinks these days bear almost no resemblance to the original taste. Cans of Fanta and Sprite now have around 100 calories where they used to have the same as Coke at about 140. They taste like cr*p.

What other drinks do we remember from the 90s?

Comment

No idea who made this, but loved it:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                  No idea who made this, but loved it:

I remember these being promoted heavily in the summer of 1982, there was a different Peanuts character for each flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon Factor View Post
                    Squirt was the nicest one.

I have a Squirt can in my collection

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      There was a Nemesis drink to tie-in with the Alton Towers ride, I think it was a Virgin drink.

Tab Clear with it's weird marketing where it was sold cheap for a few months then almost doubled in price, at which point most people stopped buying it.

Geo(?) with it's ring pull free can, which only seemed to be sold at Sainsbuy's.

For a time in the mid 1990s there we a range of sweet flavoured drinks such as Refreshers.

There seemed to be lots of limited edition can designs & flavours around in the 1990s, & this trend has continused a but.

I have a Nemesis can in my collection also. It was made by Coca-Cola and was a tie in with the Nemesis roller coaster at Alton Towers.

TaB Clear was actually a response to Crystal Pepsi which was a clear cola and only available in the USA and Germany. It was conceived, and brought to market in less than 6 weeks. It wasn't meant to stick around but was meant to destroy Crystal Pepsi. You can read about it on Wikipedia.

TaB Clear was available in the USA, the UK, Japan, and Australia.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here are some more old cans from my collection

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

A great selection of old cans there.

According to the old TV Cream site Squirt is oddly Immortalised in the video for Feed The World video where you can see Paula Yates holding a can of it at one point.

Comment

Amazing dave.

Cant think of fresca diet fresca or leed or squirt or nemesis.

Ive certain ive never seen tins of either of these.

Beautifully designed tins too.

How long u been collecting tins.

Comment

Ok people, I need some serious assistance here. I’ve been reminiscing a bit, recently, about various foods and drinks from my childhood (80s and 90s). There is one item that I just cannot recall the name of and is one of those elusive subjects that just seems to be entirely absent from the whole Internet.

So, does anybody remember a UK canned soft drink in the 80s/90s, which was 250ml and the same shape as a Red Bull can? They were still rather than fizzy and I think came in a few flavours but all I remember is cherry and apple, which was absolutely amazing. Used to find them in cafes in tourist attractions quite a lot. I believe they were white and/or silver and the logo for this flavour was like a solid coloured apple or cherry in green or red or something but it didn’t have any detail, it was basically a coloured silhouette. It may have been both fruits and possible included a cherry stalk or a bite out of it (like the Apple logo), or both.

Comment

Working...
                                X