Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    Rock Sugar's "Can't Stop The Santa Man".

At one point they sing that Santa should join a union to get some workman's comp.

What would be the point? Santa's an independent contractor. He's his own boss. Nobody pays him to make and deliver toys. Heck, he doesn't even sell the toys. He gives them away.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Arran View Post
    I don't celebrate Christmas as such, but it has intrigued me how Christmas dinners vary around the world.

Does anybody think that the classic British Christmas dinner has had it's day and there are more appetising alternatives out there?
    Someone did ask what do people in Turkey eat for Christmas, but as Turkey isn't really a Christian country, there is no irony to that.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    What is the classic British Christmas dinner? Goose maybe? Larks tongues in aspic? Figgy pudding for afters? We've always done the big turkey thing, but my grandpa hunted and we did have goose, duck, venison available. My gran was into those jellied green salads and that's something that faded out replaced by shredded purple cabbage, green onion with some mayo binding... I tend to forget it like cranberries as I usually take only a teaspoon if that. I love the brussels sprouts best. My dad and his friend, both from Holland, grind nutmeg over their sprouts, but that's another thing I'm not into.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    I don't celebrate Christmas as such, but it has intrigued me how Christmas dinners vary around the world.

Does anybody think that the classic British Christmas dinner has had it's day and there are more appetising alternatives out there?

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    i love jam tarts.
    Also, Viennese shortbread biscuits with dried melted chocolate covering one end.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied
    My Mum used to make jam tarts for me as I don't like mince pies, & I would get slices of yule log instead of Christmas cake.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    My parents used to make their own mince pies, and when they used to get a jar of mincemeat from the Coop, the finishing product always looked as if they had been flattened by a steamroller. I always recommend Mr Kipling-alike mince pies from the shops if you want them.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    Mincemeat things aren't favorites of mine either, will have one just to say I've had one, but I so like the 'consideration' tarts, which is just some thickened golden syrup with a bit of nutmeg. I prefer trifle as a dessert, we traditionally have that for New Year's.

Christmas dins over here will be a small turkey with dressing, brussel spouts, creamed celery, 'riced' potatoes with turkey gravy, and for some cranberry sauce which I rarely have more than a teaspoon of. No crackers the last few years, no silly paper hats or miniature lipstick cases or tiny screwdriver sets. Dessert - none. Nobody wants it really, can have a glass of eggnog.

I guess we watch the King's address this year. Sad.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    I never liked mince pies or Christmas Pud as a kid. Had to pretend to love them. In that house i learned early on not to ask questions.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    I've probably mentioned it before but though I used to somewhat shun my gran's Christmas Pudding I've missed it more and more each passing year. Imagine having one more year with all your family together, aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents! I've still got my parents though; my boyfriend doesn't have his and is very humbug the last few years.

I like to hear a Bing Crosby number most, followed by Slade, but never been big on the seasonal music.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied
    Christmas has changed for me over the years as I grew up, these days I don't have so many big presents so it's more about getting the family together.

It's fun because my Niece & Nephew are still young, but I've not been able to see them on the day the last few years. I was due to this year but my Mum tested positive for covid & me & my wifde had to go to plan B & spend it with my Sister in law.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Quite true - I have to admit that I haven't even put any decorations or tree up this year. It is "business as usual" to me, and it often feels to me that I cannot wait for the first week of January to come around so that things are back to normal. The fact that so much has changed in the year that has gone, makes one focus on those changes and not enough on Christmas - we will find out how much has changed on Sunday at 3.00 pm if you know what I mean.

Turn the clock back 35 years, and I would have broken up from school by now (Year 5 or Third Year); had the prospect of Christmas to look forward to; good television and things to look forward to. But then again, I wasn't living on my own as a nine year old back in 1987.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	319805220_884024452953596_4619626441091877836_n.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	293355

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    A Very Agro Christmas is an Aussie Christmas children's special from the 1990s that i wish would turn up again. Santa's evil brother Barnaby.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
    love you all
    So do I.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X