• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tex
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Looks like this will be a short subject. Any further ideas?
    Who would play on the docks or the railways as a kid? ,we had Salford docks right at the end of our street, if you were clever you could sneak past security and go fool around on the freight liners,we would have great fun exploring. i remember one ship we were able to get onto we found a massive consignment of boxes marked "kelloggs", we tore one open expecting to find cereals but it contained thousands of the little plastic toys that were sometimes free with your cornflakes,we all promptly filled our pockets and were able to get out without being caught.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

never really got the point of a drive in theatre, i think i would prefer going to the cinema frankly

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I am not sure about drive-ins here in the UK. I'm not aware of any, but there may have been a few dotted about. The weather here isn't really suitable for drive-ins. In summer the evenings are light until quite late and in winter when it is dark early it is too cold to sit in a car watching a film. lol
    Looks like this will be a short subject. Any further ideas?
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 13-09-2018, 12:23.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I am not sure about drive-ins here in the UK. I'm not aware of any, but there may have been a few dotted about. The weather here isn't really suitable for drive-ins. In summer the evenings are light until quite late and in winter when it is dark early it is too cold to sit in a car watching a film. lol

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

The above foto was taken in 1956. The Drive In closed in 1984.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Did you have drive ins in the UK?
    We picked up most things American in the 50/60s.. drive ins were one of them. There had been one built adjacent to our cousins place (see below). So when we were over there we would beg our uncle to take us kids to see the latest double feature. When we were not taken we could actually watch the movies from their backyard. No sound of course.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Did you have drive ins in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    Or riding in the back of a pickup truck -- fun times!
    I did all that often as my uncle had one and we cousins were often forced to ride in back as no room in the front. Did you know that the utility was first designed and built in OZ?

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Yes Jasper was funny in 78, so was Billy connolly and Mike harding.....How times have changed, funky moped indeed!
    I never really 'got' Mike Harding even though he was a local lad ..

Now Jasper Carrott was hilarious..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Good to see you here VB. This thread is really taking off now. Enjoy everyone.

Leave a comment:

• victorbrunswick
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Re getting lots of people in cars....Back in the 60s and 70s it was common for kids to sit on adults laps in cars, in the back of estate cars and in footwells. Seatbelt laws put a stop to all that.
    Or riding in the back of a pickup truck -- fun times!

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Re getting lots of people in cars....Back in the 60s and 70s it was common for kids to sit on adults laps in cars, in the back of estate cars and in footwells. Seatbelt laws put a stop to all that.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    How the hell did you get nine people in a Morris minor...thats hillarious! , mine had indicators that popped up from the wings and a starting handle just in case you couldn't start it conventionally so to speak.It was very easy to flood the carburetor if you got a little eager with the manual pull out choke.
    It was a slight squeeze.

Mu dad's has the pop out trafficators and split front bumper with a starting handle. They were original parts he was adamant on keeping in his restoration.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Good to see you here staffslad.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Wasn't it Mike Harding who had a song called 'It's Hard being a Cowboy in Rochdale'? With lines like 'The spurs don't fit right on me clogs' and'People laugh when I ride past on our alsatian dog'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X