• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tex
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I learned to drive via my dad taking me out in his 1968 Ford Corsair 2000E and driving lessons with an instructor in a 1978 Triumph Dolomite--a 1300 so sadly not a Sprint. My instructor had a radio cassette fitted and would play tapes of Jasper Carrott, so we would both be laughing at Jasper's jokes during the lessons.
    Yes Jasper was funny in 78, so was Billy connolly and Mike harding.....How times have changed, funky moped indeed!

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
    My dad has nearly finished restoring his 1953 Split Screen Series MM Morris Minor which was our family car as a kid. I got to sit in it when we visited last month, my eldest son got to sit in it too which meant a lot to me.
    We went to Vange Zoo in it once in the late 70s, four adults and five kids, the bloke on the ticket gate couldn't believe it when we all piled out.
    How the hell did you get nine people in a Morris minor...thats hillarious! , mine had indicators that popped up from the wings and a starting handle just in case you couldn't start it conventionally so to speak.It was very easy to flood the carburetor if you got a little eager with the manual pull out choke.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    tex this will give you a clear idea of the steepness of the street.

Bloody hell! 1:1?

Leave a comment:

• angliaknight
    replied

Coogee thats smelly seaweed, yes.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I learned to drive via my dad taking me out in his 1968 Ford Corsair 2000E and driving lessons with an instructor in a 1978 Triumph Dolomite--a 1300 so sadly not a Sprint. My instructor had a radio cassette fitted and would play tapes of Jasper Carrott, so we would both be laughing at Jasper's jokes during the lessons.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    1977 my dad taught me to drive in his Morris minor, i passed my test in the same car and as a gift my dad gave me the car, wish i still had it. I sold it for £150
    My dad has nearly finished restoring his 1953 Split Screen Series MM Morris Minor which was our family car as a kid. I got to sit in it when we visited last month, my eldest son got to sit in it too which meant a lot to me.
    We went to Vange Zoo in it once in the late 70s, four adults and five kids, the bloke on the ticket gate couldn't believe it when we all piled out.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

We actually called Arden Street, where I lived for 20 years of my life the ''Alps of Coogee".

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Jeez, thats one gradient, scary stuff that would put anybody off driving a while.The dog looks like he had enough!

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

tex this will give you a clear idea of the steepness of the street.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    How did you stop? did you have to crash it?.....sounds terrifying!
    It was mate.. very terrifying. At the base of the steep road is a beach (you can just make out part of the sand in the pic. Incidently I was coming from the opposite end to the pic) Anyway as I reached flat ground my car slowed just sufficiently to drive it up onto a medium strip and the thick undergrowth slowed me. I know it sounds incredulous.. but I swear this is what happened. Without a word of lie. I received devine intervention that day. I was saved for a higher purpose. Am still waiting to find out what that purpose is. It will not surprise you to know that I never sat behind the wheel of a car for six months after that.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

1977 my dad taught me to drive in his Morris minor, i passed my test in the same car and as a gift my dad gave me the car, wish i still had it. I sold it for £150

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

What was your first car? Mine was a Minnie Minor. Blue it was and it was about 15 years old. I could not afford a new one as I worked in a photographic studio in a junior position on a pretty crappy wage. My first few lessons were private then I went to a driving school and passed my test first time. I was kinda proud of that. Some time later while still on my Ps I went for a ride around the streets near my house. We happened to live on a very long, steep road.. this was so steep it was more like a mountain to be truthful. I had pulled out of my parking position and onto the steep road when my brakes failed. in a heartbeat I gained break neck speed.. too fast for my hand brake to stop me. Immediately my life flashed before me. This is it Craig. Gone before you have lived. It was nothing short of a miracle how I survived my ordeal. On my dizzing trip down the mountain I passed thru three sets of red lites. (Below is a section of the same street)
    How did you stop? did you have to crash it?.....sounds terrifying!

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

It is unfortunate if you are say under 30 as this forum prioritises the 70-90s era. Tho you do scrape into the 90s. Feel free to post anything you wish about your growing up years. There may well be members of a similar age to you that can relate to that time.
    Indeed - it may spark a "Then And Now" debate!

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

What was your first car? Mine was a Minnie Minor. Blue it was and it was about 15 years old. I could not afford a new one as I worked in a photographic studio in a junior position on a pretty crappy wage. My first few lessons were private then I went to a driving school and passed my test first time. I was kinda proud of that. Some time later while still on my Ps I went for a ride around the streets near my house. We happened to live on a very long, steep road.. this was so steep it was more like a mountain to be truthful. I had pulled out of my parking position and onto the steep road when my brakes failed. in a heartbeat I gained break neck speed.. too fast for my hand brake to stop me. Immediately my life flashed before me. This is it Craig. Gone before you have lived. It was nothing short of a miracle how I survived my ordeal. On my dizzing trip down the mountain I passed thru three sets of red lites. (Below is a section of the same street)
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 07-09-2018, 09:06.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

It is unfortunate if you are say under 30 as this forum prioritises the 70-90s era. Tho you do scrape into the 90s. Feel free to post anything you wish about your growing up years. There may well be members of a similar age to you that can relate to that time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X