X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staffslad
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

My mates and I were more into exploring the woods, streams and ponds around us. We would walk for hours in those woods. Actually, there were a number of woods, but the best had the streams, ponds etc. There is also a war cemetary not too far away and we would sometimes walk there. I will add that we were always very respectful there. We would sometimes get boards and slide down hills, but we most often did that when we had snow. We may have made go-carts, but I can't remember, so it must have been only very occasionally if we did.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

So what were your outdoor activities/ hobbies growing up? Did you ever go billy cart racing. The place I grew up in was semi rural with plenty of back streets.. perfect for racing these home made contraptions. Falling off onto hard gravel and grazing knees and hands tho was not much fun. Wonder we did not kill ouselves. Later on we lived near sand hills and would slide down them on old boards with a rope added for steering. Much better landing on soft sand.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I didn't really get into still photography much. Around 1982 I bought a 35mm SLR, a Practika MTL3, made in East Germany and right at the bottom end of the market, but it really didn't grab me like cine photography. I didn't really get into editing, other than splicing together various processed 50ft reels onto 200ft or 400ft spools. Video really killed it off in the mid 80s. I think my cine cameras were the Sankyo ES33 (silent) and Sankyo XL600S (sound). I had such fun with those cameras. There was a monthly magazine called Movie Maker about all aspects of cine photography that I bought for 3 or 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    When I was around 14 I got into cine photography. Saved up my paper round, Christmas and birthday money and bought a Sankyo Super 8 cine camera, projector and screen. I started off with silent camera and projector. When I started work I upgraded to a sound Super 8 camera, another Sankyo, and a sound projector, a Cinerex if I recall correctly. The cameras took 50 foot spools and lasted 3 mins 20 secs, and you had to take them to somewhere like Boots for processing. I am not quite sure, but I think the cost of processing was included in the price of the spool. Kodak, Agfa and Fuji were the 3 brands I saw most often, and Kodacolour 40 was the one I usually got.
    staffslad. You will not believe this but I did precisely the same thing after I left school.. my camera tho may have been a Sanyo Super 8. My first job was with a photograhic studio and as I had intended to study photography with a view to making it my career I also bought myself an expensive Nikon camera with all the latest bells and whistles. I even learned how to process all my work with a second hand processor and printer. Everything came tumbling down when my expensive Nikon camera was stolen. Quess what muggins had not insured it.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 23-08-2018, 15:04.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

When I was around 14 I got into cine photography. Saved up my paper round, Christmas and birthday money and bought a Sankyo Super 8 cine camera, projector and screen. I started off with silent camera and projector. When I started work I upgraded to a sound Super 8 camera, another Sankyo, and a sound projector, a Cinerex if I recall correctly. The cameras took 50 foot spools and lasted 3 mins 20 secs, and you had to take them to somewhere like Boots for processing. I am not quite sure, but I think the cost of processing was included in the price of the spool. Kodak, Agfa and Fuji were the 3 brands I saw most often, and Kodacolour 40 was the one I usually got.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

I collected stamps for a while...

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Lets talk pastimes & hobbies you had growing up. Yabbying, catching Cicadas, collecting bird eggs were mine. An Australian Blue Yabby(below). A miniature lobster is a good way to describe them.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

I forgot possibly the best of all Darrell Lee soft Licorice.. the best I have tasted anywhere in the world, their equally yummy Rocky Road and the mouth watering Cherry Ripe.. am Australian invention I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Milk bottles, yes I feel sure we have them here.

Jaffa balls? Are they related to Jaffa cakes--spongey bottom, half covered in chocolate and with a thin orange jellyish filling. Actually, they are far closer related to biscuits than cakes.
    Actually Jaffas are orange coated balls with a choc centre. You also no doubt have something similar to Fantales.. tho not with the special wrapper.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Some other Aussie confectionery Mulletino you should recall were Cobbers, Milk Bottles, Chokito bars, Clinkers, Snakes Alive, Freckles, Violet Crumble Bars, Life Savers and everyones favorite the Jaffa choc coated balls that evidently we all rolled down the cinema aisles. I never did. Did you?

Milk bottles, yes I feel sure we have them here.

Jaffa balls? Are they related to Jaffa cakes--spongey bottom, half covered in chocolate and with a thin orange jellyish filling. Actually, they are far closer related to biscuits than cakes.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Me and a couple of mates would go Yabby hunting in a creek after school. If we caught some.. mum cooked them for dinner than nite.

Lets talk pastimes & hobbies you had growing up. Yabbying, catching Cicadas, collecting bird eggs were mine. An Australian Blue Yabby(above). A miniature lobster is a good way to describe them.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Some other Aussie confectionery Mulletino you should recall were Cobbers, Milk Bottles, Chokito bars, Clinkers, Snakes Alive, Freckles, Violet Crumble Bars, Life Savers and everyones favorite the Jaffa choc coated balls that evidently we all rolled down the cinema aisles. I never did. Did you?

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

I seem to remember associating Dolly Mixtures with the cinema, perhaps that was what I bought from the Kiosk when seeing a movie sometimes. I miss the old UK cinemas.

Yeah Fantails are an Australian thing, a chewy caramel/toffee centre with a chocolate surround.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I don't think we had those sweets here, though there were probably similar ones with different names.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

If I was going alone, a packet of Polos or similar was enough.[/QUOTE] pick 'n' mix staffslad. In case anyone is wondering wahat a Choo Choo bar is.(see below). By the end of the movie your mouth was an ugly black color. Not heard of Fantales (below) in the UK. Chewy caramel toffee that came with a bio of a movie star on the wrapper Redskins (below) were also one of my faves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X