X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tex
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

Ufology was another interest of mine, the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe really intrigued me, i would buy books on the subject and attended several seminars, i even had an article printed in ufo magazine (now defunct).
    This may seem silly to many but doubters should check the evidence which is quite overwhelming, i am not referring to the plethora of fake videos on you tube but documentation that stems all the way back to the 40s including testimony from pilots,astronauts,police, politicians even world leaders. Sure 95% of sightings can be explained away but the remaining 5% still amounts to thousands of unexplained reports of ufos. I dont mention this to start a debate just this was something i was interested in as a teenager and into middle age.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Sticky fingers tex??

As for the model planes you guys had hanging from your bedroom ceilings.. We were not allowed such liberties. My models were either taken home or thrown out.
    Unlike you with land vehicles staffslad I had a full WW2 Desert Set...something like 100 pieces. Spent many hours playing with this.. but only on visiting days. They looked like below from memory.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I made quite a few model aeroplanes in my youth. I think I had a kit with a Spitfire and Me109 included in a special Battle of Britain set. Most were Airfix, but a few were Matchbox and Frog. I had a Dambusters Lancaster complete with bouncing bomb, but I tended to pick more modern aircraft. I remember having a Panavia Tornado, Hawker Siddley Harrier, McDonnell Douglas Phantom, MiG-21, North American F-86D Sabre, English Electric Canberra, Me262, BAC Strikemaster and others. Many I attached to bits of cotton and stuck them to my bedroom ceiling.

I had a few ship models, almost all from Airfix. HMS Fearless, HMS Devonshire, HMS Cossack and HMS Ark Royal.

I didn't go much for models of land vehicles, but definitely had Crusader and Sherman Firefly tanks.
    Sticky fingers??

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I made quite a few model aeroplanes in my youth. I think I had a kit with a Spitfire and Me109 included in a special Battle of Britain set. Most were Airfix, but a few were Matchbox and Frog. I had a Dambusters Lancaster complete with bouncing bomb, but I tended to pick more modern aircraft. I remember having a Panavia Tornado, Hawker Siddley Harrier, McDonnell Douglas Phantom, MiG-21, North American F-86D Sabre, English Electric Canberra, Me262, BAC Strikemaster and others. Many I attached to bits of cotton and stuck them to my bedroom ceiling.

I had a few ship models, almost all from Airfix. HMS Fearless, HMS Devonshire, HMS Cossack and HMS Ark Royal.

I didn't go much for models of land vehicles, but definitely had Crusader and Sherman Firefly tanks.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered there are plenty of other subjects. How about your hobbies? I had little freedom at my boarding school but one thing we were allowed was to make model aeroplanes. I must have made at least 100 while I was there. These would have been my faves. The Spitfire, the Wellington bomber and the German Stukha.
    I used to enjoy making these and had several hanging from my bedroom ceiling on pieces of cotton.more recently i bought an airfix galleon but the thing got the better of me and ended up half built on a boot sale and eventually in the dustbin. Again more recently my daughter knowing that i enjoy creative activities bought a series of unpainted wooden birds which you would paint yourself and display and for a while they looked nice in the garden.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered there are plenty of other subjects. How about your hobbies? I had little freedom at my boarding school but one thing we were allowed was to make model aeroplanes. I must have made at least 100 while I was there. These would have been my faves. The Spitfire, the Wellington bomber and the German Stukha.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered any other subjects you wanna talk about?

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

ABC cinema Eccles guess this was 70s, my mum and dad went dancing twice week next door
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
    Saturday morning pictures was a must for me , the Odeon was packed upstairs and down, programme was a educational short, a cartoon, then the true highlight the serial ,loved those American cliff-hangers, then a feature film, talking about 1961 onwards, very fond memories.
    Yeah me too, i went to the ABC cinema every saturday morning, it was promoted as a kids cinema club and we even had a song that we were all asked to singalong to before the film.The films were usually cowboys or space themed and we would sit happily with a kia ora and a tub. I recently found out that the Beatles played a concert there in the mid 60s

Leave a comment:

• angliaknight
    replied

Saturday morning pictures was a must for me , the Odeon was packed upstairs and down, programme was a educational short, a cartoon, then the true highlight the serial ,loved those American cliff-hangers, then a feature film, talking about 1961 onwards, very fond memories.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Have to keep posting here as it gets lost and is covered by Radio Listings.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

You and I carried out similar pastimes it seems. Typical kids stuff I suppose. I did not do this but my brother did. He was a proper monster. In those days the postie delivered mail by horse and my big brother would hitch a ride with the postie on his rounds. He told the postie he had permission from mum. Another thing both of us used to do much to the chagrin of our neibors was eat the innards of a half loaf of bread left by the local baker. We would then hide and wait for the neibor to discover his bread was only a shell. Hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

We used to get quite a few bees in our garden in the summer--lots of trees and flowers--so I would often get an empty jam jar and capture one or two. I would knock a few holes into the lid so they had air, but would release them after a few hours.

A hop, skip and jump from us was--and still is--large areas of rough land with wild flowers, bushes and trees. That was a great place for grasshoppers. I would walk slowly through the tallish grass and listen to the grasshoppers. As I got closer a grasshopper would stop the noise then a second or so later jump. If I was quick enough to spot where it had landed I could sometimes catch one and put it in my jam jar for a while, but they were very quick and hard to catch.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

We did have small creeks near my home so after school my best mate and I would go Yabbying. Yabbies are a small version of the lobster and are delicious.. a delicasy these days. We also used to catch the elusive Cicada, those twilling creatures that were heard at dusk after a very hot day. We then put them in an aired shoe box as pets. One of our other fun things to do was collecting birds eggs.. and come Chrissie time the Christmas Beetle.. we had a contest for the largest beetle.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Wood and streams were two things not in abundance in my home town. Sounds fun as that is the sort of thing I could have done hours on end as I am a nature freak. Did you ever keep any insects or animals as pets. What did you catch in the streams/ponds?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X