RIP Jean Boht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jean Boht

Whenever I hear her name, I always seem to have the mondegreen earworm for Alma Cogan's 1955 Number One single Dreamboat because it sounds practically the same. Jean Boht, the British actress has died at the age of 91, just a few weeks after husband, composer Carl Davis. Boht appeared in the 1980s Liverpool sitcom Bread, and she had also appeared in Some Mothers Do Ave Em, Last Of The Summer Wine, Brighton Belles, Doctors, and Juliet Bravo.

And I was going to mention this on the Grange Hill thread but I will mention it here instead: back in Series One in 1978, Trisha Yates was looking after the school hamster during her lunchbreak but when she loses it; (mostly due to getting detention from the the Ms Clarke played by Jill Dixon for wearing earrings); she makes her way to a local pet shop to purchase another one, and who played the shopkeeper? None other than Jean Boht herself. The other hamster is found, and so the school had two rodents-in-residence, and the gentlemanly Mr Rankin (not Hankin) played by Blake Butler isn't too bad about it.

Yes, Jean Boht and Dreamboat do indeed rhyme with each other...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Yes very sad indeed shell always be rememberd for beaad altho she did many other acting roles.

R i p jean
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sad to hear of her passing, especially as it was just a few weeks after her husband died.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Whenever I hear her name, I always seem to have the mondegreen earworm for Alma Cogan's 1955 Number One single Dreamboat because it sounds practically the same. Jean Boht, the British actress has died at the age of 91, just a few weeks after husband, composer Carl Davis. Boht appeared in the 1980s Liverpool sitcom Bread, and she had also appeared in Some Mothers Do Ave Em, Last Of The Summer Wine, Brighton Belles, Doctors, and Juliet Bravo.

And I was going to mention this on the Grange Hill thread but I will mention it here instead: back in Series One in 1978, Trisha Yates was looking after the school hamster during her lunchbreak but when she loses it; (mostly due to getting detention from the the Ms Clarke played by Jill Dixon for wearing earrings); she makes her way to a local pet shop to purchase another one, and who played the shopkeeper? None other than Jean Boht herself. The other hamster is found, and so the school had two rodents-in-residence, and the gentlemanly Mr Rankin (not Hankin) played by Blake Butler isn't too bad about it.

Yes, Jean Boht and Dreamboat do indeed rhyme with each other...
        This is really sad news indeed - I had heard murmerings of a Bread Comeback for last year with Jean being "Grandad" at the helm - but now sadly Jean has passed on this more or less means in my opinon zilch chance of a follow up to Bread will happen now sadly.

RIP Jean Boht

Comment

There were plans for a Bread stage play a few years ago but the estate of Carla Lane didn't give it their blessing.

Comment

I used to watch Bread fairly avidly but her name didn't bring up the image of the actress. Couldn't picture her on Some Mothers Do Have 'Em either, so had to do a search online.
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Speaking of Bread, I assume that the actor who had played the Grandad character and had the catchphrase "where's me pudding? I want me pudding" has passed away by now (that was always the line in which all the impressionists such as Les Dennis used, but I bet that he only ever said it once). I think he was called Jack someone, either the actor or character's name? I am sure that Boht shared quite a few scenes with him during the series' run.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Speaking of Bread, I assume that the actor who had played the Grandad character and had the catchphrase "where's me pudding? I want me pudding" has passed away by now (that was always the line in which all the impressionists such as Les Dennis used, but I bet that he only ever said it once). I think he was called Jack someone, either the actor or character's name? I am sure that Boht shared quite a few scenes with him during the series' run.
                Yes Kenneth Waller passed away in 2000, interestingly he was only 5 years older than Jean Boht: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Waller

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Yes Kenneth Waller passed away in 2000, interestingly he was only 5 years older than Jean Boht: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Waller
                  That's him, Kenneth Waller - another case of "the character becomes more famous than the actor". I am certain that in Coronation Street he either played Martin Platt's father, or he was one of the three (?) actors who played Curly Watts' father in Coronation Street - thinking of August 1988 when Curly was sharing the Corner Shop flat with Shirley from Baldwin's Casuals - he looked a bit like Neil Kinnock at the same as he was ginger and balding at the same time, and his screen wife was a bit racist about Shirley, I seem to remember.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                  X