Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Started in Autumn 1979 - left July 1985, 2 years infants 4 years junior. Yet there were 3 infants and 4 junior years - I was in 1st year infants Sept 79 - till Jan/Feb 1980 and then I clearly remember them opening the joining doors to 1st and 2nd year we were encouraged to mill between the two classes, I then ended up in 2nd year infants for the remainder of my 1st year. Then by Sept 1980 I was in 3rd year infants, my friend who I'm still best friends with says it was because we were intelligent and put ahead, but I think it has something to do with them changing the school years from "children born in 1974" to "children born from Sept 1973-August 1974" - as another friend (who I was with in the first year (part 1 - are you still with me?) was born in October 1974 but he stayed behind and completed his 1st year infants and didn't leave for secondary school until September 1986 - a full year after me.
    I remember reading they changed the school year ages - is this true or was just gifted?
    Either way I'm still a bit miffed I missed out a year as I LOVED my primary school
    Last edited by systemaddict; 21-03-2008, 16:11.

Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Ok I`m alittle lost as always thought there was only 2 years in infants, 4 years in primary and 5 in secondary. Maybe like you said it may something do with the change but if I think back my brother and sister who atleast 5 years older than me only spent 2 years in infants as well. This will be interesting to find out.

Comment

I had an odd start to infants/junior too. I can't remember exactly what happened but to start with I was in a big class with loads of kids all roughly same age. Then after a certain holiday (again cant remember which) we went back and I was in X class which was the 2nd year infants and my best friend was moved to a class that was 1st year infants. I was born in August 1974 so that may have something to do with it as you say. My friend followed along school a year behind me, as did some other kids. I always thought it was strange that it happened.
      If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

Originally posted by yelever View Post
        Ok I`m alittle lost as always thought there was only 2 years in infants, 4 years in primary and 5 in secondary. Maybe like you said it may something do with the change but if I think back my brother and sister who atleast 5 years older than me only spent 2 years in infants as well. This will be interesting to find out.

as far as i know theres always been 3 years in infants 4 in juniors and 5 in secondary
        you start primary school from 4- 11 and secondary 11-16,

now they have reception and years 1 and 2
        then the juniors is year 3,4,5, and 6
        then secondary is 7-11,

i started infants in 1975, left 82 then secondary school was 82-87

i also remember though that they used to have different intakes depending on when you was 4,
        not like now you start school in september whatever,so some kids can be 5 when they start school,
        Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
        Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Comment

Ok At our school the(Lower School) "Infants" Building had three corridors which equaled three years, then we did one year in the "Annex" Before moving up to (upper School) "juniors" for three more years, so in total I did 7 years at "primary" school. Thats as clear as mud then lol.
          Last edited by Heather74; 21-03-2008, 22:51.
          Heather

Comment

Maybe I missed out on a year of infant school then? I`m sure I started when I was 5.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              Ok At our school the(Lower School) "Infants" Building had three corridors which equaled three years, then we did one year in the "Annex" Before moving up to (upper School) "juniors" for three more years, so in total I did 7 years at "primary" school. Thats as clear as mud then lol.
              You did 7 and were born in 74, maybe I WAS gifted then....what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by yelever View Post
                Maybe I missed out on a year of infant school then? I`m sure I started when I was 5.
                I started infants in the year I was 5 - 1969 but my son, who started last September started in the year he was 4. I just figured it was a sign of the times.

Comment

LOL I dunno all I do know is I'm a September baby, so was one of the oldest in my year, missed the September intake and started in the January.Maybe you were put in the wrong year to begin with, a girl in my brothers class was suddenly found to be to old for his year, was put up to my year but was the youngest, If you started school at 5 and left at 16 (or almost 16) and missed a year at infants you would have to have repeated a year somewhere as you still went to school for the full 12 years

Here's my school life just put down in text for me to see i'm right about my school life time.

Year 1: 4 to 5 year olds (I'm the oldest in the year so 5)
                  Year 2: 5 to 6 year olds
                  Year 3: 6 to 7 year olds
                  Annex(Year 4) 7 to 8 year olds
                  On to Upper school Year 5: 8 to 9 year olds
                  year 6: 9 to 10 year olds
                  year 7: 10 to 11 year olds
                  Off to high school age 11
                  1st year 11 to 12 year olds
                  2nd year 12 to 13 year olds
                  3rd year 13 to 14 year olds
                  4th year 14 to 15 year olds
                  5th year 15 to 16 year olds.

Phew there mine seems to pan out right! I can name all my teachers for each year too.

Anyone born after August 31st is to late for a September intake,and thats why there is such a big age difference between some children.
                  Last edited by Heather74; 22-03-2008, 13:34.
                  Heather

Comment

I'm late August - maybe that explains it - all the kids born January - August 1974 and the same for every year were bumped up to the next year, So Huggie did you have a sudden new intake of pupils from the year below

Comment

We did yes. My cousin was one of them the class suddenly increased by about 10 "new kids"
                      Heather

Comment

I was born July 1974 and started when I was 5, went to primary when I was 7. I`m racking my brains to think if I`ve forgotten a year but I clearly remember on my 5th birthday my mum saying that I`d be starting school soon which would have been september.

Comment

Ok just found out that it looks like I`m wrong, there is 3 years in infants but for some reason I started a year later than everyone else so I did miss the first year of infants but went to primary like everyone else. Can I get a refund for the year missed??? lol

Comment

I started school on the 14th September 1978, the day after I turned 5, I remember that I was always the oldest in the class. I did 3 years of infants, 4 years at junior school, then 5 years at secondary/high school. Finished in 1990.
                            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

I left aged 13 1/2 ( does being in approved school count?)

Comment

Working...
                              X