Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

    .
    Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    LOL I dunno all I do know is I'm a September baby, so was one of the oldest in my year, missed the September intake and started in the January.Maybe you were put in the wrong year to begin with, a girl in my brothers class was suddenly found to be to old for his year, was put up to my year but was the youngest, If you started school at 5 and left at 16 (or almost 16) and missed a year at infants you would have to have repeated a year somewhere as you still went to school for the full 12 years

    Here's my school life just put down in text for me to see i'm right about my school life time.

    Year 1: 4 to 5 year olds (I'm the oldest in the year so 5)
    Year 2: 5 to 6 year olds
    Year 3: 6 to 7 year olds
    Annex(Year 4) 7 to 8 year olds
    On to Upper school Year 5: 8 to 9 year olds
    year 6: 9 to 10 year olds
    year 7: 10 to 11 year olds
    Off to high school age 11
    1st year 11 to 12 year olds
    2nd year 12 to 13 year olds
    3rd year 13 to 14 year olds
    4th year 14 to 15 year olds
    5th year 15 to 16 year olds.

    Phew there mine seems to pan out right! I can name all my teachers for each year too.

    Anyone born after August 31st is to late for a September intake,and thats why there is such a big age difference between some children.
    you have some memory heather.

    think i started in 79.
    never did nursery school.
    79 to 85 primary school
    85 to 88 secondaty school.
    88 to 91 college.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

      1978-1980 Nursery
      1980-1987 Primary School
      1987-1992 High School
      1992-1995 6th form college
      1995-1998 University #1
      2002-2007 University #2 (part time)
      2009 University #3 (in 2009 I started another job where they told me I had to go to university part time AGAIN for another three years. FFS, how many qualifications do I need?!? I resigned!
      1976 Vintage

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

        Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        1978-1980 Nursery
        1980-1987 Primary School
        1987-1992 High School
        1992-1995 6th form college
        1995-1998 University #1
        2002-2007 University #2 (part time)
        2009 University #3 (in 2009 I started another job where they told me I had to go to university part time AGAIN for another three years. FFS, how many qualifications do I need?!? I resigned!
        whar was the job u got that uwhere told to do 3 yrs at uni for.
        and afdter all that u would have to pay bacl the money u owe.

        has uni differed from ehen u went back in 1995.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

          I never missed a year, but had to go to a special school for just over a year because I had slipped behind, I went back to another standard primary in the same year I wuld been in normally.
          The Trickster On The Roof

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

            Being born in August has its disadvantages educationally. I was in a primary school with kids who were up to a year older than me, and I was just 5. But I left school on my 15th birthday !!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

              I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

              It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                My mum's birthday is in early september, & managed to start school a year early.

                She was put back a year for the 11 plus though.
                The Trickster On The Roof

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                  Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

                  It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.
                  did you not keep in contact with those friends you lost when they went to class 4 and u to class 5 sly.
                  i mean do you still be in contact with any.

                  understandible if u lost them becayse you did not get on.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                    It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

                    When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                      Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

                      When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.
                      That must've been hard for you mate .... sorry about that. I'd of hated that to happen to me.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                        It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                          Originally posted by Sly View Post
                          It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

                          I wish I could say all this about me ... being an only child too! Sadly i can't. Though I do remember getting distinctly jelous of the 5th Years in Primary "moving on" as it was to big School!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                            This is a long shot 6 years on, but is "Guest" "systemaddict" still a member here please? I'd like to contact you regarding your missed school year if possible please.
                            Could you reply here or send me a message?
                            Many thanks

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                              It never happened to me or friends (but I recall around 1986/87) before my Final year at primary a Year or 2 Years in Year 6 got "fast-tracked" to Secxondary (though this descrepency was only becvause of a 6 Month age difference in question) between Year 6 and Year 7!!

                              80sChav
                              Last edited by 80sChav; 23-09-2017, 14:44.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

                                Originally posted by Sly View Post
                                I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

                                It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.

                                Though we have not always seen eye to eye Sly - this would have been my worst nightmare come true in experiencing this

                                Though i recall it happening along similar lines as you describe (but date-wise I am unsure of the date people's Birthday's) had to fall for this to occur

                                80sChav

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X