School Punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Punishment

My geography teacher had a black plimsoll hanging on a nail in his classroom. He called it Apollo and a number was chalked on the sole, representing how many times it had been used.

In my first year at secondary school I was disciplined by the Crafts teacher--also my form teacher. Perhaps I had been talking in class, but it was nothing more serious than that. I would have been 11 and he picked me up and placed me on top of a stack of 8 stools. It was quite high and I was pretty scared sitting up there as I had nothing to hold on to. I must have been up there for perhaps 10 or 15 minutes. When he decided I had been punished enough, instead of lifting me offf, he half pulled me and I hit the bare, wooden floor quite hard and hurt my ankle. It also made me afraid of heights for several years. From that moment I hated him with a passion.

Comment

I never had the cane but was punished with lines on many occasion, always for talking...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Lines was it worse than the cane i wonder.

Guess it depends how many lines you had to do.##ruler across ones knuckles is another type of punishment.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        i never had the cane but was punished with lines on many occasion, always for talking...
        Last edited by darren; 25-04-2016, 15:09.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

[QUOTE=darren;138480]i was lucky as i never got the cane etc..QUOTE]

Me neither Darren - I think it was abolished after I had been at Primary School a Year or 2 .... put it this way the Headmaster there wasn't a nasty guy but you had fear of him with him possibly giving the cane. I recall some in other Years had it but never knew of them personally!

The worst I got at secondary was about a detention or 2 each 1 to 3 weeks in a bad time then the filtered away at times! If I had known now though what I knew then - that half the rough lads did their Homework in detention and free time at home ... well yeah they probably should have behaved but how cool having no Homework at Home

80sChav

Comment

It was still a thing when I was at school but I was always so scared of it, I didn't do anything which warranted it. Good deterrent, sort of like the kids' version of Trident!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

For me, caning was always a much greater deterrent than lines or five-page apologies. Canings were quite uncommon at my school, but then I think the general behaviour of pupils was better then. Don't get me wrong, kids were still lively and boisterous, but classroom disruption was rare and to be cheeky to a teacher was unthinkable.

Comment

Supposedly one teacher at one of the primary schools I went to used to made pupils hold a 1kg weight for a few minutes as a punishment.

I was never taught by her but my sister & friend were, & both mentioned she was a bit crazy on a good day.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Not really a punishment but I remember once at primary school the class had been a little noisy so the teacher made us sit with a finger to our lips for the rest of the lesson.

Comment

The primary school I was in, one of my teachers would give us the 'opposite' of a gold star. That was the black dot, she got out her black marker pen and placed a dot on the star chart if we misbehaved. No one wanted the black dot.

Comment

We at our school had the cane from our head-master and the slipper from our Technical Drawing teacher lol
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I never had the cane but it was always there as a punishment if required, but it wasn't used much as discipline and behaviour was so much better back then--1978 was when I left school. As mentioned by another poster, I can also remember at primary school the class having to sit quietly with finger held to lips as we had been talking.

Comment

I am old enough to remember when the cane was used frequently. I got it 6 times in grammar school and twice in junior school. Most were from lady teachers who seemed to enjoy the power trip. I got 6 of the best from the senior mistress when she caught me wolf whistling at a gorgeous lady teacher. Worst bit was I was punished in front of the lady teacher. So embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                            For me, caning was always a much greater deterrent than lines or five-page apologies. Canings were quite uncommon at my school, but then I think the general behaviour of pupils was better then. Don't get me wrong, kids were still lively and boisterous, but classroom disruption was rare and to be cheeky to a teacher was unthinkable.
                            Being cheeky to a lady teacher got me 6 strokes of the cane from her at the end of the lesson. Never did it again though.

Comment

From what i remember getting the cain was quite common in my secondary school back in the eighties.
                              As it
                              seemed to me in THE 80'S i was in the pupils had no fear of the teachers well some of them anyway.
                              Not 100 percent cer
                              tain but ive memories of a pupil punching a teacher.

Im actually think remembering back teachers were afraid of certain pupils and had no control as classes back then had like 30 pupils and some classes had 4 or 5 really bad kids.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                From what i remember getting the cain was quite common in my secondary school back in the eighties.
                                As it
                                seemed to me in THE 80'S i was in the pupils had no fear of the teachers well some of them anyway.
                                Not 100 percent cer
                                tain but ive memories of a pupil punching a teacher.

Im actually think remembering back teachers were afraid of certain pupils and had no control as classes back then had like 30 pupils and some classes had 4 or 5 really bad kids.
                                This was exactly the same as at my School (first Secondary) par the cane Daz .... and the kids could gottan away with anything - even skiving Detentions as I did once, once or twice out of 1 of the say 5 or 7 I got! I recall Grange Hill even in 1987 30 years since now) that Robbie said to Ziggy - don't go to Detention ... nobody else ever bothers

Sure as night becomes day and v versa it always like this at my first Secondary. My Geography Teacher (as would others gave out Merit Slips) but he made an occupation out of this to keep us on side as we knew, he knew we was such a soft soft touch or/and he'd not make the work impossible like our History Teacher or go round the bend and say "why are'nt you doing this" or more-ever he'd help us a bit and this is a measure of how he'd avoid until the final, final, finale resort giving Detentions out - which frankly as well I feel served (and even more so) from what I hear 2day served/serves no purpose at all), par to give the bad guys a free ride (free evening off Homework) lol, while the rest have minimum time to do it in!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X