Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Street chains that still sell video recorders?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Street chains that still sell video recorders?.

Are there any notable High Street shops that still sell VHS video recorders, in shop or online?.

I am pretty sure the likes of Comet, Currys, Littlewoods, Argos etc have stopped selling them.

Re: High Street chains that still sell video recorders?.

I think Argos & 1 or 2 other places (it Currys) might still have combined VHS & DVD players for sale.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Only places I know that have them are Charity shops.We have a Heart Foundation furniture shop and they get second hand ones.Amazon does them though.

tulip

Comment

You could probably get a working one for free via Freecycle.

Comment

It's amazing to think that as a generation we've seen a technology as massive as VHS explode and die out.

Comment

Don't know of any high street chains, but eBay's usually a good place to pick them up. Be warned though- we bought a Philips VHS / DVD combo a couple of years ago from the US, and had it imported over here- it was a Philips, a British make, BUT unbeknown to me it was the US model, not the UK one, and the voltage was different! US domestic power is on a lower voltage than our own, so using an American-specific machine on our own national grid would cause it to blow. Our only hope now is to buy a transformer unit for it- thus make sure that whatever you get is compatible with the British electrical system.

Comment

Wouldn't you also have problems with it having an an American tuner (though that doesn't matter much no the analogue signals are being turned off) & the DVD being region 1?

Comment

r bay and amazon are good bets to get a cvr.
                also carboots and charity shops..
                i know a fella who got a near brand new vcr for a fiver at a carboot a few months back.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  i know a fella who got a near brand new vcr for a fiver at a carboot a few months back.

Yeah you can easily seek some bargain Video Machine's this way, Daren. Why not too at such a snip!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    Yeah you can easily seek some bargain Video Machine's this way, Daren. Why not too at such a snip!
                    as i say if u want something u can almost always find it.

it takes you to do a bit of looking around.

carboots in particular can be treasure troves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      It's amazing to think that as a generation we've seen a technology as massive as VHS explode and die out.
                      Yes, and to the point that it has totally devalued- last summer at the car booters I saw so many people giving away films they'd paid £10 for originally. Giving them away- for free! And people not taking them!

A good Beta recorder will fetch £100 on eBay, but it seems that VHS is worthless. I'm collecting 80s VHS classics for the kids, it's cheaper and easier to link up my £4 VHS/DVD combo to the projector for 'classic film Sunday' than buy them on DVD or stream from Lovefilm.
                      I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I have to agree with that.I think our generation has seen a few things but nothing as big as the video recorder come and go.It's frightening the pace of development and replacements of older technology.Makes you wonder what the next big thing will be.

I have not seen any new video recorders in any high street shops for years now.Be careful with old ones as the heads may have started to corrode with age,especially if they have been stored in peoples lofts of garages.Damp does them no favours.

It still amazes me though that many charity shops still have huge amounts of dvd's for sale sometimes 2 for £1 offers even compared to the more recent dvd's.But these may go the same way as music tapes and dissapear from them over the next few years as they start to degrade with age.

Comment

thing is vcr's where around for a long time and nothing else came along for a long time.
                          video machines can still be found as i got one a few yrs back had to be sent away for.

went into lunneys asked for a vcr they give me a puzzled look but they sent away for one through the yellow psges.

all 3 of my video machines two vhs one beta are in very good niick.

fact is nothing will ever again make such a huge impact as when video recorders hit the shops.
                          Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                          I have to agree with that.I think our generation has seen a few things but nothing as big as the video recorder come and go.It's frightening the pace of development and replacements of older technology.Makes you wonder what the next big thing will be.

I have not seen any new video recorders in any high street shops for years now.Be careful with old ones as the heads may have started to corrode with age,especially if they have been stored in peoples lofts of garages.Damp does them no favours.

It still amazes me though that many charity shops still have huge amounts of dvd's for sale sometimes 2 for £1 offers even compared to the more recent dvd's.But these may go the same way as music tapes and dissapear from them over the next few years as they start to degrade with age.

Comment

Hologram TVs probably will...
                            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                              It's also amazing that when you look on ebay for VHS players that people are selling them with kids videos to shift them. You cat get a DVD player off the bay for less then a fiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X