X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your very petty pet hates

Originally posted by Sly View Post
    Your friend sounds like an ****.

Boredom is the product of a reclusive mind not open to trying things.
    I think you may be right!

Victor's quote was very good too

He is also one of those people who can't seem to cope with being alone, even for a hour or two. My Uncle is the same, if my Auntie goes out he has to go out too as he hates being alone in the house.

I know quite a few people like that and I just don't get it

Comment

As an only child I love been alone. It gives me time to do all the stuff I want to without being interrupted.

Comment

As an only child I love been alone. It gives me time to do all the stuff I want to without being interrupted.
        Agreed. I'm an OC too and love being alone. Infact I get quite out of sorts if too much of my time is spent with other people. I need more alone time than most.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Family gatherings are the worst. It's nice to see them all for a bit, but then I just need to retire away until they all sod off home.

I find it impossible to do things like shopping with people in tow. I'm a typical man. I look. I see what I want. I look around for the cheapest. I buy. Same when I go for fast food. I hate how you'll sit for ages when you have people in tow. I need to move, my feet get itchy. It frustrates me when friends saunter and meander. I'm A to B. Quickest way possible.

Don't get me wrong, I think people are great. There's nothing more I like than going into the city and watching the bustle. It's just I don't like it for too long because in general people are very very annoying. Even loved ones can be. I'm probably quite annoying to some myself.

I think being an only child means you are the master of your domain. You have all the control, and you like to keep it that way.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I like people in small doses but feel the need to retreat quite quickly, especially with large groups. I'm not very patient and not very good at compromise either which doesn't help. When I'm alone I can do whatever I want. That suits me just fine.

Ive never understood those people who need to be with people all the time. I've known some say they get depressed or restless even if they have one evening alone and go out of their way to make sure it doesn't happen. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Sly and Trickyvee's statements strike a resonant chord as I too am an only child. While I'm not a loner and I do enjoy the company of friends and family (to a point), I often find that going places and doing things with them sometimes isn't quite as enjoyable as doing these things by myself as they're not attuned to my pace nor I to theirs and, if anything, I generally feel rushed when I'm with others.

Like Trickyvee, the need to constantly surround oneself with people is an alien concept to me. I look forward to those quiet evenings alone when I can read, draw or enjoy my various hobbies.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                never heard that before.

another when people ask you are you feeling ok when of course your not.
                I've mainly heard it used by people from the South and Merseyside.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Family gatherings are the worst. It's nice to see them all for a bit, but then I just need to retire away until they all sod off home.

I find it impossible to do things like shopping with people in tow. I'm a typical man. I look. I see what I want. I look around for the cheapest. I buy. Same when I go for fast food. I hate how you'll sit for ages when you have people in tow. I need to move, my feet get itchy. It frustrates me when friends saunter and meander. I'm A to B. Quickest way possible.

Don't get me wrong, I think people are great. There's nothing more I like than going into the city and watching the bustle. It's just I don't like it for too long because in general people are very very annoying. Even loved ones can be. I'm probably quite annoying to some myself.

I think being an only child means you are the master of your domain. You have all the control, and you like to keep it that way.

Couldn't have put it better myself Sly, it seems that a few of us here feel the same way.

I hate any sort of family gathering and will do anything to get out of going. I also love having time alone, especially on a Sunday.

I'm finding more and more people want to be left alone after a hard day/week at work, even friends who used to be out four or five nights a week tend to stay in now.

Another pet hate of mine is phones (well phone calls) - is there anything worse than getting in from work, looking forward to a favourite tv show or getting ready to run a bath, and then the damn phone rings?? Especially when it's from someone telling you they're bored!

Comment

oh i dont like big family gatherings either it can cause arguments especially where alcohol could be involved.
                    and i cant stand large groups of people i get nervous and get outta there quick.

but i dont like people coming into my house but not because i dont like the people though.
                    i just like my own space doing what i want when i want.

when its just a few people im ok and i can chatter rightly.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                    I know exactly what you mean. I like people in small doses but feel the need to retreat quite quickly, especially with large groups. I'm not very patient and not very good at compromise either which doesn't help. When I'm alone I can do whatever I want. That suits me just fine.

Ive never understood those people who need to be with people all the time. I've known some say they get depressed or restless even if they have one evening alone and go out of their way to make sure it doesn't happen. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I also have a problem with phone calls at an awkward time (often in the middle of doing something important), they always seem to be "junk" calls or people who don't know how to have a quick conversation.

One problem I seem to be a magnet to are people who's idea of a good conversation is to keep going on about everything they find bad in life.

People I meet on holiday seem to be bad at this, but the worst was one of my ex-girlfriend's bother's friend, who kept this sort of thing up for the best part of 5 hours.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        I also have a problem with phone calls at an awkward time (often in the middle of doing something important), they always seem to be "junk" calls or people who don't know how to have a quick conversation.

One problem I seem to be a magnet to are people who's idea of a good conversation is to keep going on about everything they find bad in life.

People I meet on holiday seem to be bad at this, but the worst was one of my ex-girlfriend's bother's friend, who kept this sort of thing up for the best part of 5 hours.

Those junk/cold calls are the worst aren't they??

I know people complain about texting but one good thing about it is that you can set your phone to 'silent' and reply at your own leisure without having to talk to anyone! I think you always know which friend or family member is going to keep you on the phone for hours so I tend to let it ring now and then press 1471 in case it's something urgent.

I do like meeting up and chatting with friends but it's so much nicer when it's at a time that suits everyone involved.

Comment

What really gets me about those junk calls is that in the past I would get them every now and then but nowadays I seem to get up to a dozen a day! I have Caller ID so I never answer the phone unless I'm expecting a phone call or its from someone I know.

Comment

Most junk calls start with a slight pause on the line, so it can be easy to hand up if I know it's going to be pre-recorded.

Comment

I had a few junk calls when I was in America. Some of them continued to talk to me even after I told them I couldn't buy anything because they wanted to hear my accent. I learnt quick that the American telesales person loves an accent.

Comment

I remember someone telling me about getting a junk call from someone with a South African accent, quickly handing the phone to their South African wife who started speaking down the phone in Afrikaans, which really confused the operative.

When my Dad was on a business trip in a non-touristy part of the USA many years ago, a shop assistant kept chatting to my Dad to hear more of his accent.

Comment

Working...
                                X