Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching musicals at the theatre

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I am not posting as much at the moment as I am having a break from here but I thought that I would let you all know about my annual birthday trip to the theatre.

    After sending a "break a leg" email to the theatre on Norwich's first night of Thursday 6th August, I finally saw Matilda on my birthday (30th August) at the Norwich Theatre Royal. In fact, it was more "Moanatilda" as I saw the film Moana at the Odeon tthat morning. Left home at 3.30 am the morning before and made my pilgrimage to Norwich, and what a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Great performances (the "guy" who played Trunchbull reminded me so much of Joan Ferguson from Prisoner: Cell Block H!) The actress playing Miss Honey reminded me of a very nice teacher that I had at school that I could easily get on with! And the youngsters' talents were outstanding.

    The Birthday scene at the start was a nice irony considering that I was watching it on my birthday myself!

    Spent over £100 on the souvenirs where I left the theatre with a bulging paper bag (with the Matilda musical logo on the front) containing a mug; key ring; fridge magnet; XL blue t-shirt; and a Matilda doll. I did my homework as I saw these items for sale on the official Matilda website, and so it was almost like making a shopping list all were available! I enjoyed it so much that after the standing ovasion I almost left my jacket behind as I was about to leave, but thankfully the gentleman who was sitting next to me had reminded me before it was too late! I would been in great hot water as it had my Premier Inn key card in one of the inside pockets. It seems that in a theatre that it isn't just the actors that need prompters!

    The show started just after 2.30 pm and finished at around 5.15 pm; one hour 15 minutes for each half, and an interval in-between which seems like quite long considering the fact that a lot of youngsters appeared in it. I was always given the illusion that each half in musicals was exactly an hour. Although the Norwich Theatre Royal did not have a cloakroom, they did agree to look after my bag as a one off, as well as the one which I got the Matilda souvenirs in. Nice people.

    Next year, my birthday treat will be an evening performance of Back to the Future at the Plymouth Theatre Royal - my early booking in June this year certainly put the "future" into Back to the Future.

    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

    Comment

    Working...
    X