No announcement yet.

Watching musicals at the theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked tickets to see Hairspray the Musical at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool on that "special date" in the near future - it has Norman Pace out of Hale and Pace in the cast so it should be good. As coronavirus might be almost gone by then, fingers crossed, I assume that it will go ahead as planned.

Will let you know what I thought of it later on in the year.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Nice that you still consider birthdays "special" George, when you reach my age you stop counting the years off. Hale and Pace were very funny at the height of alternative comedy during the 80s, did Gareth hale die?
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Well, most of us will spend around two and a half months of our life celebrating our birthdays, so you might as well make the most of it, and I think that milestones such as 50, 60, 70 etc, are just as important as earlier ages.

I believe that Gareth Hale is alive and well - I just think that Hale and Pace are just doing their own things which is something that I couldn't imagine Morecambe and Wise doing. It would be nice to have them both starring in it though.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Having another sabbatical, hence the absence on here...

Anyway, saw Hairspray the Musical at the Liverpool Empire theatre on my birthday - as I was walking along Lime Street I noticed a very long queue, and it took me a few minutes that they were theatre punters, and to realise that it was because of the COVID restrictions and the theatre staff were going to allow them in one at a time. Everyone had to prove that they had both vaccines or had a negative lateral flow test within the previous 48 hours (done just after midnight on Sunday) in which I had with using a test kit with the details printed out.
          Eventually got inside, shown my ticket and the negative test to staff, and went to the stalls for the show - it started a bit later at around 7.45 pm because of the COVID checks and all that.

Norman "Hale and..." Pace was great with an American accent, (I am certain that I have seen him in Hale and Pace sketches where he plays American Wild West-type characters), and so was the (male) actor who played the sub-Wishee Washee role as well.

Unfortunately apart from the programmes, there were no souvenirs for sale. "We weren't given any", a staff member said when I asked at the interval. No mugs or fridge magnets, which was a pity. Because of the late start, the interval and the second half was later as well, and it didn't properly end until around 10.10 pm, some 15 or 20 minutes afterwards.

Might try for Chicago next year if they can extend to August - I know that it has been extended to July. Mama Mia is there on that date in Canterbury, but it does mean having to go through London to get there...
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X