Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which song gets you thinking about childhood

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

    The first song that sticks in my head as being able to place myself in a specific time and place would be second year at junior school in 1986 - one classmate was forever singing Status Quo's "In The Army Now" - a song rarely heard on radio nowadays, but I'm guessing it must have been quite big at the time. The likes of Bros and Jive Bunny (not a fan of either) take me back to being 9 or 10, again at Junior School.

    After that, the novelty summer record - "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" (Bombularina & Timmy Mallet) - 1990, takes me back to a summer holiday camping in the Lake District. No one could forget the summers of 1991 and 1994, with "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" (Bryan Adams) and "Love Is All Around" (Wet Wet Wet) respectively dominating the charts for months, which lived long in the memory of growing up. It was the early 90's when I started getting into music (although looking back now I love 80's and 90's music equally), and anything Indie / Britpop immediately takes me back to my last few years at secondary school / sixth form.

    Comment


    • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood




      https://youtu.be/x34icYC8zA0
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

      Comment


      • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

        Two songs by The Moody Blues. Your Wildest Dreams, and I Know You're Out There Somewhere.
        Makes me think of my No.1 crush in school, Michelle Williams.
        I wonder if she does remember me now?.....
        Last edited by marc; 05-12-2016, 00:04. Reason: Spelling error
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

        Comment


        • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

          Early ones in my collection:

          Dynamite/Travellin' Light - Cliff Richard
          Baby Sittin' Boogie - Buzz Clifford

          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

          Comment


          • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

            Another few honourable mentions must go too to: Jimmy Summerville and The Communards - Don't Leave Me this Way, Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The world, Chesney Hawks The One and Only!

            80sChav

            Comment


            • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

              Some more from my stash...

              Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice
              So Do I - Kenny Ball
              The Tall Texan - Jet Harris & Tony Meehan
              Bad To Me - Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas
              Heart - Rita Pavone
              Makin' Love - Vince Eager
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

              Comment


              • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
                The first song that sticks in my head as being able to place myself in a specific time and place would be second year at junior school in 1986 - one classmate was forever singing Status Quo's "In The Army Now" - a song rarely heard on radio nowadays, but I'm guessing it must have been quite big at the time. The likes of Bros and Jive Bunny (not a fan of either) take me back to being 9 or 10, again at Junior School.

                After that, the novelty summer record - "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" (Bombularina & Timmy Mallet) - 1990, takes me back to a summer holiday camping in the Lake District. No one could forget the summers of 1991 and 1994, with "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" (Bryan Adams) and "Love Is All Around" (Wet Wet Wet) respectively dominating the charts for months, which lived long in the memory of growing up. It was the early 90's when I started getting into music (although looking back now I love 80's and 90's music equally), and anything Indie / Britpop immediately takes me back to my last few years at secondary school / sixth form.
                Yer I agree with you on all these Big Tim. I will always recall where I was when I heard Don't Look Back In Anger/Sally Can Wait in 1996 - just like it was yesterday.

                Put simply Liam and NNoel "could have" been the biggest band ever since the Beatles par for their problems, but yer I sure agree with you on the Brit-Pop era. At the minute I have been listening to a fair bit of Dusty Springfield's late 1980s/early 1990s music and some of Julio Iglesias' Music re; When You Tell Me That You Love Me and with Dolly Parton and other music of Julio's of the era

                80sChav

                Comment


                • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                  At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.
                  "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

                  Comment


                  • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                    Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
                    At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.
                    Original version

                    Attached Files
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

                    Comment


                    • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                      Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
                      At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.
                      Until the BBC4 Top Of The Pops repeats I wasn't sure either who had recorded it. I used to think it was one of the Two Tone bands like The Beat or The Selector.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

                      Comment


                      • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                        Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        Until the BBC4 Top Of The Pops repeats I wasn't sure either who had recorded it. I used to think it was one of the Two Tone bands like The Beat or The Selector.
                        I must admit when I heard it I thought it was one of Madness's songs.
                        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

                        Comment


                        • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                          The one that sticks most to my mind would be Father Abraham - The Smurf Song!

                          Comment


                          • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                            Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                            The one that sticks most to my mind would be Father Abraham - The Smurf Song!
                            That was the first single I ever bought. the B side was "the Magic Flute Smurf".

                            Comment


                            • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                              Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              That was the first single I ever bought. the B side was "the Magic Flute Smurf".
                              I spotted a Father Abraham LP in a charity shop window today, I didn't see what price it was though!
                              The Trickster On The Roof

                              Comment


                              • Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

                                My dad used to listen to Radio 2 quite often in the late 70's when I was a child and they often played Neil Diamond songs. "Forever in Blue Jeans" is the one that seems to stock in my mind the most. I also remember one called "American Popular Song".
                                "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X