X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80sChav
    replied
    Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Have just been watching Grange Huill Series 14 Episode 4 and the Party where Tegs' leaves for Germany.

what an Episode for Songs that reminds of me of my youth that - to name the most ones I can hear/catch are:,

* Jimmy Summerville and The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way

* Lisa Stansfield - This Is The Right Time

* George Michael - Careless Whisper

* Wet Wet Wet - Angel Eyes - though I am unsure if it may-be the better extended Home and Away version , that all "Wets" Fans will know and appreciate!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
    The first song I remember listening to was goodbye yellow brick road by Elton John, in my Mum's car travelling to the dentist when I could have been about 5 years old, although I'm not that keen on Eton John's music I've always loved that song.
    I suppose that one can link "yellow bricks" with teeth which need whitening, or some comparison like that.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Not exactly my childhood - but my early 20s and more so upon re-listening to the the Collaberation True-Stepers Feat Victoria Beckham and Dane Bowers, with their hit from 2000 that was onlu kept off the top the charts by Spiller eaturing Sophie-Ellis Bextors "Groojet (If This Aint Love)"

I know many will think I am say out of my mind in saying that this very short period in time was Victoria Beckham's best time as a Solo Artist and really really totally showed her R&B Clubland style/type of Music of that era I was so familar with

Though i like a few of today's song's - like Lewis Capalidi to name one of the modern-era's better talent - this type of Music actually had meaning - even as late as 2000, un-like 85% of today's. To think that these 2 - shall I term the "Clubland Songs" .... (I'm unsure here lol!!), got to Number 1 and 2 really say's very much indeed I think

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

https://youtu.be/ov374ja1M3c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

https://youtu.be/539dWR_-xF0

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    Pet Shop Boys melodies were fabulous... have a listen to Years and Years. ...they remind me of them !

Tracks
    King

Thanks Zincubus I may - but for me there can be only 2 Pet Shop Boys and nobody can match the. For/to me as an 80s Kid they are the height of everything and un-beatable as an act

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Some more I have been listening to and have recalled are these and each are influential in differing ways/renind me of varying stages of being a kid/my childhood

Shania Twain - Your Still The One (I want) - how inspirational is that without any doubts!

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Pete Cox - King Of Wishfull Thinking

Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• Hooper68
    replied

The first song I remember listening to was goodbye yellow brick road by Elton John, in my Mum's car travelling to the dentist when I could have been about 5 years old, although I'm not that keen on Eton John's music I've always loved that song.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

And of course, Agaddoo reminded me of Russ Abbot's classic hit Atmosphere - I bet that anyone who got nostalgic over that hit were mostly those who used to stay in Butlins or Pontins in the mid 1980s (around the time when their chalets just about passed their Health and Safety standards). All a thing of the past now of course, which is almost a good thing in a way.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Pick of the Pops had a 1984 chart the week before last which had Agaddoo on it - no surprise that Gambo didn't play it.

I know I have mentioned it before, but the 7 inch record sleeve was priceless - an orange cover with our heroes (who looked ten years older than they were obviously because: A) it was the 1980s and people used to age more back then sans Sir Cliff; and: B) they were from Leeds), with spiky blond hair, loud Bermuda "I've just been on holiday" shirts and black leather "bin liner" trousers, holding cocktails with a "dolls' house" sized parasol hanging over the glasses.

I hope you are not going to spell my name Georege, by the way...

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Other "honurable mentions" that I have just recently recalled upon hearing them are Everything I Own by Boy Georege and/or Culture Club and The conga/Agaddoo by Black Lace - agreat group indeed who was so good at "novelty songs" I thought

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Just listening to a 50s (50s!) compilation and Moulin Rouge by Mantovani came on, just as I saw this topic!

Now, I may be old but I'm not that old! No, but I was given an EP by Monty once by my grandmother (I had mumps, she was cheering me up!).

At the time, I didn't have many records so everything got played multiple times. This track is one I come back to every now and then.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    He kinda spoke the words rather than sing them ... I don’t listen to lyrics - it’s all about the melodies
    In a pure Telly Savalas sort of way (for he was unable to sing them). Tennant still sounded like Julian Clary a bit when he spoke them.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    Was Neil Tennant the Julian Clary-soundalike singer in the group? (it sounds like that to me) - they did make the songs more interesting to listen to!
    He kinda spoke the words rather than sing them ... I don’t listen to lyrics - it’s all about the melodies

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Was Neil Tennant the Julian Clary-soundalike singer in the group? (it sounds like that to me) - they did make the songs more interesting to listen to!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X