Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Songs That Sound Alike or Similar

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    Also, check the intro to Come As You Are by Nirvana and then listen to Killing Joke's Eighties...
    Yes, just checked the Killing Joke song, and it certainly does sound like "Come As You Are". Or rather, the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
      Yes, just checked the Killing Joke song, and it certainly does sound like "Come As You Are". Or rather, the other way round.
      IIRC Killing Joke sued and won!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Bloody Paloma Faiths new single Lullaby has just basically take the full catchy chorus from a Galantis song ... so infuriated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not lyrics words but melody wise until I heard Human by the Human Leauge - the melody of it always and still does in parts for me match Phl Collins and Another Day In Paradise for me. To me this sums up two of the greatest singers/groups of the 1980s full stop ... and if you include Phil in Genesis with the equaly talented and vocally unique Peter Garbriel

80sChav

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

is a lot like:

But SAW reckon they never heard Abrams track.

Comment

Head over heels by Abba

We are Detctive by Thompson Twins

Comment

Cast my Fate to the Wind

Jesus Christ Superstar

Comment

There was a Swedish Eurovision entry in recent years which sounded a little bit like Edison Lighthouse's Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Another 2 that sound similar - at least intro-wise to me is Human by the Human Leauge and one/or 2 of Phil Collins' Songs .... in-particular the one "She Can't Walk But She's Trying"

I know a lot of people through the years slated the Human Leauge as "Electro Rubbish", not as I would as a fellow Yorkshireman, and aalways remembering their first major single "Don't You Want Me" from as long back as I can - but to/for me if that intro sounds like a Phil Collins Song (and I really think it does), that shows how great a band they were - and I am sure they'd appreciate the comparison too!

80sChav

Comment

Songs That Sound Alike or Similar

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before but Ed Sheeran is the prince of plagiarism ...

He’s apparently got a team of lawyers constantly defending cases against him ... next time you hear one of his new songs for the first time .. just consider what song it ‘reminds’ you of . ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Zincubus; 13-02-2020, 13:54.

Comment

Was the practice of sampling music used as early as the 1970s? I assumed that it was something that was first used (on UK chart hits) from the late 1980s onwards.

An obvious choice is both 5000 Volts with I'm On Fire from 1975, and la Belle Epoque with Black is Black from 1977. (Los Bravos' original version of Black is Black from 1966 has that same tune but not that disco sound that is similar to 5000 Volts' song. And Los Bravos is not be confused with Los Lobos of La Bamba fame in 1987 either).

I am sure you obviously know the similarities with that particular sound pattern which is used in both the 5000 Volts and the la Belle Epoque song - a very disco sounding feel to it, which is what I like about both of them individually.

But in addition to le Belle Epoque covering Los Bravos, did they actually sample from that 5000 Volts' song two years earlier, or did several disco songs from the 1975-1977 era also have that disco melody as well?

Thinking about it, it could have been 5000 Volts sampling directly from Los Bravos as their song was two years before la Belle Epoque's version - what does everyone think?
                        Last edited by George 1978; 27-03-2023, 01:20.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I mentioned this on the Eurovision thread, and parts of the tune of Sweden's winner this year has whiffs of Abba's Winner Takes it All about it - made me think whether they both had the same writer.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

On the subject of this year's Eurovision, the French entry "Évidemment" had the exact same chorus with the 4 descending notes as the UK's "I wrote a song".
                            Somehow though the French song came over as quite catchy and stylish, whereas ours was just dreary and dreadful.

Comment

Ironically in 1968, the same year that Cliff Richard represented the UK with Congratulations, Norway's original Eurovision entry in the same year sounded too much like Cliff's Summer Holiday and so another song had to be entered.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X