Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

    I think there were loads as a kid, probably because am radios were so rubbish.

    One which I still sing wrong, even though I know about it, is Hot Chocolate's "I believe in miracles", which I always sing as "I believe in Milko", and I always say it when I see the last remaining milk float in our area coming up the road.

    I must have misheard it as a kid and it kind of stuck.

    I am sure I can think of many more, but while I do, please let me know some of yours.

  • #2
    Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

    Good thread here

    https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...isheard+lyrics
    1976 Vintage

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

      .....and you come to me on a sulpher bridge .....is it me you need to show, how deep is your love, is your love how deep is your love.....
      "Even nostalgia is not what it used to be"

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

        ....another one....Don't bring me down, Bruce, don't bring me down......
        apparently, ELO would sing 'Bruce' for a laugh at their gigs because that's what the audience thought they were singing. So it was incorporated into the song. I don't know what the real lyric is, however.
        "Even nostalgia is not what it used to be"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

          Has to be When the Going Get Stuffed which should have been When the Going Gets Tough by Queen if I remember rightly
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

            Queen??
            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

              Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
              Has to be When the Going Get Stuffed which should have been When the Going Gets Tough by Queen if I remember rightly
              Billy Ocean sang that song also

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                Billy Ocean sang that song also
                yeah, but Queen never sang it
                DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                  Oh Culnara my memory's going lol
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                    Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                    Oh Culnara my memory's going lol
                    LOL comes to us all XD
                    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it



                      I always thought that these guys sung: "I'm not talking 'bout your linen..."

                      I used to think "Why are they singing about her washing???"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                        Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post


                        I always thought that these guys sung: "I'm not talking 'bout your linen..."

                        I used to think "Why are they singing about her washing???"
                        I've heard a few mishearings of this:

                        I'm not talking 'bout Boliva..."

                        I'm not talking 'bout bulimia..."
                        The Trickster On The Roof

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                          another is cotton eye joe i always thought it was cartman joe and scatman joe.
                          i just in the last few months realised it was cotton eye joe.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                            Originally posted by goodbyetomaria View Post
                            ....another one....Don't bring me down, Bruce, don't bring me down......
                            apparently, ELO would sing 'Bruce' for a laugh at their gigs because that's what the audience thought they were singing. So it was incorporated into the song. I don't know what the real lyric is, however.
                            Wiki has this to say...

                            A common mondegreen in the song is the perception that, following the title line, Jeff Lynne shouts “Bruce!” . However, according to liner notes, he is actually saying a made-up word “Groos”. This is similar to a German word for “greeting”, Gruß possibly referring to the Bavarian greeting Grüß Gott the group would have heard while recording the album in Munich. However, after the song’s release, so many people had misinterpreted the word as Bruce that the band actually changed the lyrics and began to sing the word as Bruce.

                            Bruce does sound better!
                            1976 Vintage

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

                              Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Wiki has this to say...

                              A common mondegreen in the song is the perception that, following the title line, Jeff Lynne shouts “Bruce!” . However, according to liner notes, he is actually saying a made-up word “Groos”. This is similar to a German word for “greeting”, Gruß possibly referring to the Bavarian greeting Grüß Gott the group would have heard while recording the album in Munich. However, after the song’s release, so many people had misinterpreted the word as Bruce that the band actually changed the lyrics and began to sing the word as Bruce.

                              Bruce does sound better!
                              I did wonder what it was.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X