Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardest computer games you played.

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
    You could get the Megaman Collection on PS4 and Xbone, although i'm guessing you'd rather play them on the original hardware?

(It's on sale atm on the PS Store BTW)

I don't have a PS4 or Xbox ATM. So far I haven't seen anything on the PS4 that I'd really want. I still have an old NES but Nintendo were always a bit snidey with their lock-out chips.

I have an R4 chip for my DS XL and on that I've got a NES emulator and hundreds of games but it's not quite the same as playing them on a big screen. Among my Master System collection I have a few American games, the Master System has no regional lock outs so you can play games from anywhere in the world. I think the Japanese Master System has different shaped cartridges though. On the Mega Drive you could widen a PAL MD's cartridge slot so it would fit the Japanese games because early MD games have no lock out chips.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
      I don't have a PS4 or Xbox ATM. So far I haven't seen anything on the PS4 that I'd really want. I still have an old NES but Nintendo were always a bit snidey with their lock-out chips.

I have an R4 chip for my DS XL and on that I've got a NES emulator and hundreds of games but it's not quite the same as playing them on a big screen. Among my Master System collection I have a few American games, the Master System has no regional lock outs so you can play games from anywhere in the world. I think the Japanese Master System has different shaped cartridges though. On the Mega Drive you could widen a PAL MD's cartridge slot so it would fit the Japanese games because early MD games have no lock out chips.
      You could get an adaptor for the Mega Drive to take imported carts, or file off the edges so they would fit the slot.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Vortex on the snes was awfully tough.

Only completed the first 2 stages after that i found it impossible.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          You could get an adaptor for the Mega Drive to take imported carts, or file off the edges so they would fit the slot.

I've got a few Japanese MD cartridges. I've got Strider, Rainbow Islands (don't think it got released outside Japan which is a shame because it's the best version other than the PS1 release) and Super Fantasy Zone.

I opened up my MD and filed down the tabs on the cartridge slot and filed the hole a bit to widen it enough. Unfortunately this has voided its warranty.

I have both the Japanese and western versions of Strider for the MD. The Japanese cover is a work of art but the western cover is horrible. The man on the western cover doesn't look anything like Hiryu. Boxed with instructions I only paid about £2.50 for the Japanese Strider. Was just looking at them on Ebay, you can't get the Japanese version for as cheap as I did but you can still have it boxed with instructions for under £15. If you have the MD and liked the games it's well worth adding to your collection.

LOL, can't believe that someone actually wants £50 for US Gold's horrendous sequel. I got the true Capcom sequel for my Playstation and it's pretty good and it also comes with a second disc with the arcade original.

Edit: Just looked up Strider 2 for the Playstation on Ebay, someone's asking £120 for it but cheap ones are going for £50. I think I pad about £25 for it.

Comment

Some people are bonkers when it comes to their prices for old games. Someone wants £40 for a cartridge only Rainbow Islands for the MD and boxed with instructions some people are asking £100. I got really lucky when I got mine for £25. It really looked like it had just been made. Rainbow Islands was a massive letdown on the DS. After Bubble Bubble and the modern versions being so good I couldn't believe they had turned Rainbow Islands into a touchscreen game. It's virtually unplayable. Thank God it didn't cost me anything when I added it to my R4 chip.

Comment

Got be mega man I didnt realise how hard this was untill gpt and emulator so could cheat abit lol
              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

No cheating bad boy.

its very hard aint it.

Ive never used a guide or cheats.

And cant get very far i cant.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                got be mega man i didnt realise how hard this was untill gpt and emulator so could cheat abit lol
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  No cheating bad boy.

its very hard aint it.

I'm not sure if using the pause cheat to beat the one eyed yellow monster counts as cheating since it was part of the game. With the pause cheat one shot of Elecman's gun does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    No cheating bad boy.

its very hard aint it.

Yea daz very hard game u got not much of a jump and really got plan ahead and know whats coming
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Barbarian on the Spectrum comes to mind first, maybe because of the disappointment as the box art and back story were impressive. It took me ages to get past the first crouching monster and when I did I did not get far.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A few old Speccy games I never managed to complete. Notably the incredibly irritating Starion - a wire-frame space game a bit like Elite, but with anagrams you had to solve. One near the end had one too many (or few - can't remember) letters which resulted in the game crashing. Also never completed Tir Na Nog, Dun Darach or Valhalla - those were great games though. Much more recently I gave up on Xbox One horror game Outlast, which was frustrating as hell with the batteries running out in your video camera every few minutes.

Comment

F19 and latterly F117a Stealth bomber.

Late 80's early 90's. go obsessed with it. Super game of flying an American Stealth Bomber on missions. Long games used to last an hour of more sometimes, depending on the mission. The hardest part was landing the damn thing. Even harder was landing on the aircraft carrier. Many missions were ruined cos I couldn't land it !

My son, now a post grad software developer irnically, found this game in a charity shop several years ago. I started playing it again also a few years back. I actually read the manual and worked out how to drop bombs of various types, which targets to drop them on. I STLL couldn't land the damned thing no matter how I tried !

Comment

Dragons Lair on Nintendo Entertainment System. Couldn't get past the second screen!

Comment

Beach Head - last level - on Commodore 64. Never did manage to shoot all the blocks before the big gun swivelled around and nailed me.

Comment

Bart vs the Space Mutants (Various)
                                Ecco the Dolphin (Megadrive)
                                Chakan the Forever Man (Megadrive)
                                Gremlins 2: The New Batch (NES)
                                Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
                                Gods (Megadrive)

Comment

Working...
                                X