Bill Waddington as Percy Sugden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Waddington as Percy Sugden

In the past few years, reunited by ITV3 repeats of Coronation Street now on YouTube, had there been anyone as iconic back in the 1980s and 1990s as Percy Sugden, played by the late Bill Waddington?

Firstly, I have to admit that I wish that more incumbent characters were like him (and even Ken Barlow is not). He made his first appearance in Weatherfield in the summer of 1983, around the same as a lot of youngsters (i.e. adults who were born after the series began in 1960) arrived such as Terry "bad boy" Duckworth (sponsored by various pawnbrokers); Curly "straight hair" Watts (sponsored by the Grauniad); and Kevin "Shaky with a moustache" Webster (sponsored by Kwik-Fit). One primary function for the character was to replace the long-departed Ena Sharples as caretaker, and possibly used as an attempt to provide a male "pensioner-in-residence" successor to Albert Tatlock who, as we know, was close to "official retirement" if you know what I mean.

An autumn 1983 Rovers' scene where Sugden and Tatlock propped up the pre-fire pub bar looked like a great almost-father and son double-act - World War I veteran meets his World War II counterpart. I also think that Alf Garnett was an inspiration for the character, if not Victor Meldrew, or even the "you don't want to do that, you want to do this instead" character portrayed by Harry Enfield. But now in hindsight, we know that Sugden was the Captain Sir Tom Moore of Coronation Street, but we didn't back then.

One interesting thing about Percy Sugden was that he was a freelance character, i.e. not married and not in direct on-screen links with regular family. Just like Emily Bishop's husband, his wife Mary also died off-screen in 1978. I think that in addition to retirement, it allowed him to come and go as he pleased, and so, he could be in a certain place where other characters couldn't be due to work and family commitments - a bit of sort of social commentator on life at the time.

Sergeant Sugden was in charge of the community centre and arranged formation dancing for pensioners in there - and he even did the sub-George Formby act with a ukulele. When the local council evicted him in 1988 due to him being 65 (which I also think was the embryonic phase of what was to be the Maurice Jones "demolish Baldwin's factory to make way for new houses in order to accommodate the new third weekly episode on Fridays" storyline), he found sanctuary at Mrs Bishop's house at number three, but we know that he went there to escape the lilac-rinse woman Phyllis Pearce. And it was around that time that he officially became a school crossing patrol man, which made me think of Deryck Guyler in Please Sir! as a possible understudy. And then he retired from that even; his reading glasses became full-time spectacles and went bowling. He even almost looked after Alf Roberts after his heart attack in 1987 due to his election defeat on the local council, making the former councillor look like an invalid.

Just like a lot of veteran entertainers, they all had catchphrases and Sugden had at least two of them: "a cup of tea and a toasted teacake" was one of them, said to either Gail, Alma or Martin in Jim's Cafe, or "I'll bid you good day", or sometimes "morning" or "night" as his closing line, while leaving the Rovers, Corner Shop, Kabin or Cafe.

One thing about Bill Waddington is that he always looked old even in his 50s when he had played previous characters in the series in the late 1970s, when even some people in their 70s looked younger. I suppose that he was stereotyped like that. I didn't blame Waddington for leaving (or even retiring) from the Street due to the raunchy Battersby storylines and move to Mayfield Court along with Maud Grimes. And sadly, he died three years later in September 2000 aged 84, around seven years older than his character.

He left a huge hole (or should I say "gap"?) in the Street when he took his leave in 1997, but then so did Don Brennan and Mavis. A Sugden-alike character nowadays would be something to watch the series again.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

I once meet him whilst strawberry picking, my Nan sent me to ask him if he was Percy from Coronation Street.
    He replied I certainly am, he went to his car and came back with two photographs which he signed for us.
    He told us he would think of us every time he was filming...I wonder how many people he said that to?

If I can find it I will post the Photo
    Heather

Comment

Much obliged.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Bit gutted his surname has smudged over the years. I can't remember what it was but he wrote more of a message on my Nans copy
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        Heather

Comment

I remember Bill Waddington did some double glazing adverts in the 1990s.

The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to wonder if her were related to Sugdens at Emmerdale.

Yes, was Phyliss with lavender (lilac?) hair chased after him, Phyliss Pearce, Des Barnes' housekeeper.
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I thought whether they were related - that was when Reg Holdswoth made a cameo in Emmerdale.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                I remember Bill Waddington did some double glazing adverts in the 1990s.
                Safestyle Windows? (following in the footsteps of with Cannon and Ball and Bill Bailey?)

I vaguely remember him appearing in character in an advert for either Pizza Hut or Harvester? It might have been just after he retired from the Street (1998-ish) and he was in a restaurant ordering something. I am not confusing this with the Murray "Here come the pasta" Walker one with Damon Hill.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Safestyle Windows? (following in the footsteps of with Cannon and Ball and Bill Bailey?)

I vaguely remember him appearing in character in an advert for either Pizza Hut or Harvester? It might have been just after he retired from the Street (1998-ish) and he was in a restaurant ordering something. I am not confusing this with the Murray "Here come the pasta" Walker one with Damon Hill.
                  You might be right.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I believe that Bill Waddington had a local connection with the East Midlands as he did make quite a few quest appearances, opening various stores in Nottingham. I know that he made a special appearance at the Coop Department Store on Upper Parliament Street in the mid 1990s - I didn't go there myself but I found out about it in the Nottingham Post at the time. Just like him, it is no longer there anymore.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Little Chef?
                      Heather

Comment

Little Chef - that's the one. One assumes that he was still in character as Mr Sugden there?
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Certainly a nod to him "Right up your Street"
                          Heather

Comment

Working...
                          X