Public Information Films (PIFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barnsleyjon View Post
    what about the public info film about an old codger trying to cross the busy road... "this is bert(or some name for an old guy), his eyes aren't what they used to be, he thinks that cars not going as fast as it is etc etc" cant remembered if he gets splattered though.
    Find out here
    TV ARK
    Heather

Comment

I remember many of the road safety campaigns shown throughout the 80's, most of which you can see on DVD if you know where to look.

There is one that is eluding me though.

It was promoting awareness at junctions and had a rather distinctive tune to which the lyrics "there's a junction coming, there's a junction coming, lead the road" repeated throughout.

It was an early to mid 80's advert as far as I am aware and featured luminescent green computer graphics to show the car approaching the junction and completing what would be considered a safe turning maneuver.

Anybody have any ideas?? It was real I'm sure.

Comment

I been looking through the archive link but can't find this one...

Two guys carrying a big pane of glass behind a factory ,round the corner an office girl says 'Bye then' to co-worker and runs round and slams into the glass

Voice over says 'you never know whats around the corner -so don't run'

Comment

Re: Safety Ads

Another one has the pickpocket talking to the presenter and telling him he likes working in a big crowd like a race meeting or a sports stadium.

The presenter asks him where a safe place from pickpockets is and the villain looks at camera and says 'In a nudist colony'

Comment

found this YouTube - Dark And Lonely Water...
            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Do You Remember This Road Safety Ad?

There's a road safety ad that scared the pants off me as a little girl, and I've been trying to find it for ages now but no luck... In it a little boy sees his mother being knocked down by a car, and I think it was just the look of fear on the little boy's face and the thought the same happening to me and ending up motherless that scared me so much! I think the little boy is in a toy shop at the start of the ad if that is of any help...

Comment

My favourite safety/public info ads were the pylon one where the kid gets electrocuted and this one about escalator safety -

YouTube - 1970's Escalator Safety Public Information Film

The image of the welly boot getting crushed made such an impact on me that I'm still wary of escalators to this day - I always hesitate before getting on them because I'm scared of putting my foot too near the edge!!

Comment

Who remembers the very middle-class white bespectacled English suburban family dealing with their burst pipes? I think this was shown 1975-1976 or maybe even earlier. Once they'd all rallied round together with a spirit worthy of The Blitz and stopped the leaking pipes the voice-over congratulates Mr Everyman and his brood for doing such a good job and then adds the punch-line.."What a pity you let it happen in the first place!" A jolly old British classic! I defy anybody to find it on YouTube!

Comment

This the one?

YouTube - Pipe Bursts
                    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Thanks a lot dude! Never thought I'd see that again.....I'm totally shocked and stunned and why the hell would anyone want to put that on YouTube in the first place!!??

Comment

great stuff branny....twas like I'd only just watched it yesterday!
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Here's some more

YouTube - Keep Britain Tidy - Keep it to yourself

YouTube - Scary 1970s British Public Information Films

YouTube - My dad in our new car!

Found it funny that Jimmy Saville spent years telling us to clunk click and then suddenly decides this is the age of the train lol.
                          Last edited by branny; 22-02-2009, 13:02.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

That 'Danger No Swimming' ad used to scare the **** out of me as a kid!
                            sigpic
                            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Recently watched the two-disc Charley Says DVD and was amazed how many of the PIFs I remembered: Play Safe, Green Cross Code, Think Bike, Lonely Water. Engrossing in an odd kind of way, and I'm sure more than enough 'classics' have survived to make another volume. They've become social history now which is really rather odd.

PIFs now may be more graphic in some ways but will they be remembered with fear and fondness after 30/40 years?

Comment

I remember a British Gas one from the 1980s with a couple who come into their home to find a gas leak. This ended with someone about to turn a light on shouting "NO!" with a scary echo effect on it.

One that isn't the Charlie Says series is one where a boy does something daft on a bike & gets it run over by a Mk1 Cavalier.

Another omission was one where a tired driver runs into the back of a girl riding a horse, & ends with a freezeframe of a hoof coming through the windscreen Carrie style.

I used to get in trouble for laughing at the ones with simulated car crashes, especially the ones with crash dummies flying about in an Austin Princess.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X