video nasties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: video nasties

I remember once during the Daily Mail campaign there was an article with an illustration showing a man's brain with all the different parts labelled with all the negative emotions supposedly brought about by watching 'video nasties'.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I find it interesting that the vast majority of "Video Nasties" are now freely available in your favourite high street retailer, yet society hasn't fallen to pieces. (well, not due to the Nasties anyway).
      In fact it hasn't made the slightest difference, plus your average modern gore movie is far more dangerous to people than cheaply made flicks from the 70s.
      Then again, if you choose to read the tabloids you deserve all you get in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
        I find it interesting that the vast majority of "Video Nasties" are now freely available in your favourite high street retailer, yet society hasn't fallen to pieces. (well, not due to the Nasties anyway).
        In fact it hasn't made the slightest difference, plus your average modern gore movie is far more dangerous to people than cheaply made flicks from the 70s.
        Then again, if you choose to read the tabloids you deserve all you get in my opinion.
        My feelings exactly.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Oh yeah? I did read in a book on censorship once that a 16-year-old boy is believed to have committed suicide after watching the first Exorcist film (which is obviously his own soft fault as he was too young to be watching it anyway)
          Then there is the woman who cut her daughter's heart out after watching 'Exorcist 2'.
          Heard about the serial cannibal Jeffrey Dahmer? I'm sure I remember reading in one newspaper that he'd been to see 'Silence of the Lambs' and it had had an effect on him, which couldn't have been true, of course, as the tabloids are always wrong about the effects of movie violence on certain viewers aren't they?
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
            the tabloids are always wrong about the effects of movie violence on certain viewers aren't they?
            In a nutshell, yes !
            Most of the time it's just some made up sensationalist story which turns out to not be true anyway.

Comment

I've been on eBay a fair bit recently, watching the going prices of pre cert videos, the nasties in particular.
              Some films go for ridiculous prices, but you can still find some total bargains.

As I think I mentioned before here, in the past I have picked up original nasties for 50p, but you rarely see videos in charity shops or at car boot sales these days.
              However, you can get some gems online.
              For instance, my old copy of Argento's Inferno was a bit tatty, so I found an pretty much mint version on eBay, and got it for less than three quid, it's not particularly rare, but I managed to mint up for cheap.

I've also seen videos that I own go for crazy amounts of money, enough to make me consider parting with some of my rarer pre certs.
              I might put up some pics of some of my videos soon, I will put them on this thread.
              It would be cool if any other DYRers could post pics of their nasties, maybe with a note stating how you came to own it/them.

Comment

hi mate.
                ive seen beast in heat go for 15 hundred quid.

i saw a ZFE go for 1 hundred and 15 quid.
                devil hunter for like 8 hundred.

beast and devil hunter are terrible films.
                others like house by cemetery,dead and buried, are far better films than those but sell for peanuts.

i sent you a pm a few months back did you get it.
                prob better if you dont post em on here but its down to the mods.

ive around half of the 72 on beta and vhs and many on v2000.
                Last edited by darren; 08-05-2013, 04:42.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There's a copy of The Beast In Heat on eBay at the moment.
                  Buy it now for only £2399 !

I might have to wait for a slightly cheaper copy.

Comment

a bit mad eh mate.
                    film wise its not worth a penny.

There's a copy of The Beast In Heat on eBay at the moment.
                    Buy it now for only £2399 !

I might have to wait for a slightly cheaper copy.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      film wise its not worth a penny.
                      Yep, it's terrible.
                      But it is hilarious.

Comment

Yep, it's terrible.
                        But it is hilarious.
                        Almost every video nasty is. Lets be honest.

Comment

thats true but there are a few exceptions.
                          house by the cemetery being one and hoteotp,the burning etc.

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                          Almost every video nasty is. Lets be honest.

Comment

Other well made movies on the lists (in my opinion) are -

The Beyond
                            Blood Bath/Bay Of Blood
                            Cannibal Holocaust
                            I Spit On Your Grave
                            Tenebrae
                            Inferno
                            Possession

and the awesome The Living Dead (At The Manchester Morgue).

Comment

id agree with most of those mate.
                              id take out can holo though.

id include dead and buried as well.
                              its better than i expected it to be.

i know plenty dont like inferno but i love it argento's use of red in very almost overpowering.
                              great score as well the film has.

Other well made movies on the lists (in my opinion) are -

The Beyond
                              Blood Bath/Bay Of Blood
                              Cannibal Holocaust
                              I Spit On Your Grave
                              Tenebrae
                              Inferno
                              Possession

and the awesome The Living Dead (At The Manchester Morgue).

Comment

It seems to me film censorship is all about a constant lowering of standards. The movie industry has a set of guidelines which are constantly being relaxed and never seem to stay the same. Not only have many previously banned films been released uncut with an '18' certificate but also many of the 18-rated films from years gone by are getting re-rated more leniently nowadays. Four classic examples of this are 'Alien', 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Don't Look Now' and the original version of "The Wicker Man", all of which have now have '15' certificates despite having been forbidden for minors upon their initial release.
                                Last edited by philipdalton; 11-01-2021, 23:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X