This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Doctor Who!

For me, it's the version that ran from 1974-1980. Still a classic after all these years; that weird silver tunnel effect used to give me chills as a kid!

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
      For me, it's the version that ran from 1974-1980. Still a classic after all these years; that weird silver tunnel effect used to give me chills as a kid!
      Yes the tom baker yrs tony.
      I remember hearing he was to bwe in the five doctors but as it was so soon after he left the role he declined something i hear he later regretted.

And for a long time he never showed at dr who events lthough i think he does now.
      Always felt jon pertwee's intros where very psychadelic.
      Always felt jon was a real ghentlemen in the role and very classy.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tom Baker is even reprising the role in audio stories now, something he resisted doing for years even though most of the other former Doctors have been doing them for ages.

Comment

Tom Baker is even reprising the role in audio stories now, something he resisted doing for years even though most of the other former Doctors have been doing them for ages.
          This is great news tony.
          It seems now that tom appreciates all the fame that comes with being a dr all be it 3 decades ago more know than he did even say 6 or 7 yrs back.
          it really is a role that lives wirth you even after your stint as the doctor has passed.

So your saying most of the other doctors that are still alive are doing the riole in audio stories.
          Which doctors are currently doing so.

And did any of the first 3 dioctors do audio stories.
          id have thought they did.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            This is gereat news tony.
            It seems now that tom appreciates all the fame that comes with being a dr all be it 3 decades ago more know than he did even say 6 or 7 yrs back.
            it really is a role that lives wirth you even after your stint as the doctor has passed.

So your saying most of the other doctors that are still alive are doing the riole in audio stories.
            Which doctors are currently doing so.

And did any of the first 3 dioctors do audio stories.
            id have thought they did.
            Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann have all been playing the Doctor in audio stories produced by Big Finish Productions for well over ten years now (check out http://www.bigfinish.com/Doctor-Who for more details) and while most of these are only available as CD's (Waterstones often carry them) or downloads, the McGann ones frequently crop up on Radio 4 Extra. Tom has been starring in audio stories produced by the BBC for a couple of years and is now working for Big Finish as well. The only other previous Doctor to have done audio stories was Jon Pertwee, who starred in two for BBC Radio in the early 90's.

Comment

cheers tony.
              whats your opinion on matt smith as the dr.
              was he tooyoung to get the role is he a bit too funny.
              personally i thought he was to young.

i felt david tennant was much better in the role.

And who would you like to see as the next dr.
              i assume it would be someone not to well known.

although i do think karen gillan is a very good companion although not as good as say lizzie sladen but still good.

Comment

Afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on Matt. He's young, yes, but I think he plays the old man in a young body thing very well, and the humour he brings to the part reminds me a lot of Troughton or McCoy. I never liked David Tennant's Doctor at all, I thought he played it too much like an action hero, and was far too 'human' to be a centuries old alien. In particular, I don't think the Doctor should ever be a romantic lead! I love Karen Gillan, though. She's no Lis Sladen, but then, who is?

Comment

The writing lets Matt down. He's far too humorous/whacky...he should portray more of the centuries old instead of acting like a fool who 'doesn't understand' human traits...but I still think its a bit stupid having the character regenerate into a far, far younger body...I've always said it, by the time Matt's ready to leave that will be the time sadly he'll be perfect for the role. 2013, thats when he'll leave. Its obvious the stretching of the current series into two halves per season is a way of prolonging his tenure. They've already started it, the fat blue man saying 'at the fall of the 11th', on the fields of trenzalore the question will be asked'....blah, blah, but its the 'fall of the 11th' bit you have think about.

Baker will always be the benchmark. He didn't do the 5 Doctors because he'd only just left by a few years having done 7 yrs in the role so its understandable. He was the longest serving and even he felt he did it for far too long, which I agree with as hes such a talented man. Tennant was brilliant. I disagree, he had brilliant moments of showing how old he was at times.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    The writing lets Matt down. He's far too humorous/whacky...he should portray more of the centuries old instead of acting like a fool who 'doesn't understand' human traits...but I still think its a bit stupid having the character regenerate into a far, far younger body...I've always said it, by the time Matt's ready to leave that will be the time sadly he'll be perfect for the role. 2013, thats when he'll leave. Its obvious the stretching of the current series into two halves per season is a way of prolonging his tenure. They've already started it, the fat blue man saying 'at the fall of the 11th', on the fields of trenzalore the question will be asked'....blah, blah, but its the 'fall of the 11th' bit you have think about.
                    Actually, the splitting of this latest series was done for a far simpler reason: the BBC wanted to move it back to an Autumn slot in the schedules (logical, since the fiftieth anniversary is on Saturday November 23rd 2013, and they'll want the show to be on air at the time) and if they hadn't split it, that would have meant a break between series' of nearly a year and a half.
                    Baker will always be the benchmark. He didn't do the 5 Doctors because he'd only just left by a few years having done 7 yrs in the role so its understandable. He was the longest serving and even he felt he did it for far too long, which I agree with as hes such a talented man. Tennant was brilliant. I disagree, he had brilliant moments of showing how old he was at times.
                    I just never believed in Tennant as the Doctor. But yeah, Tom will probably always be the definitive Doctor for many of us, though I've liked most of them to a degree except Tennant and Eccleston. I think Matt, for me, is a return to a more traditional kind of Doctor. He apparently based a lot of his portrayal on Troughton since the first Doctor Who story he ever saw was a DVD of Tomb of the Cybermen, and I think it shows.

Comment

Afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on Matt. He's young, yes, but I think he plays the old man in a young body thing very well, and the humour he brings to the part reminds me a lot of Troughton or McCoy. I never liked David Tennant's Doctor at all, I thought he played it too much like an action hero, and was far too 'human' to be a centuries old alien. In particular, I don't think the Doctor should ever be a romantic lead! I love Karen Gillan, though. She's no Lis Sladen, but then, who is?
                      i sure agree the doctor should be no romantic remember he is not human he is a timelord the two look the same on the outside but are actually quite different.

i remember one story think it was a pertwee one where a human was attacked but the doctor was not something to do with his brain being different from a humans.

Comment

Anthony Ainley was in the following dr who stoiries.

The Keeper of Traken
                        Logopolis
                        Castrovalva
                        Time-Flight
                        The King's Demons
                        The Five Doctors
                        Planet of Fire
                        The Caves of Androzani
                        The Mark of the Rani
                        The Ultimate Foe
                        Survival

Anthony was also in blood on satans claw and the land that time forgot.

Comment

This threads droning on a bit now. I'm sure 'Whovians' know everything like who was in how many stories etc....

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                            This threads droning on a bit now. I'm sure 'Whovians' know everything like who was in how many stories etc....
                            Nice to be reminded of them, though. I loved Ainely as the Master, he too often gets unfairly overlooked.

Comment

Ainley was very good but I'll always prefer...

Delgardo!!

Comment

No I still think Ainley was awful..just dislike the man.

Comment

Working...
                                X