This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bbc2 the 70's

I've just seen a trailer for an upcoming season of programmes re-examining the 1970s. It'll be on BBC2 soon....the trail uses the original 1970's blue revolving '2' and the voice over to the ad sounded just like an announcer from the 70s/80s - it fooled me for a split second as it came straight after the end of 'The Human Factor' film from 1978/9....lol. The announcer said:

Hello.

before the rest of todays programming, I just like to congratulate everyone in the 1970s for creating easy mortgages, sexual equality, mass consumerism, free love, package holidays and all of this...'

(cuts to many different images from women demonstrating for equal pay, Idi Amin, a couple kissing, Idi Amin, Arab Oil production, package holidayers, prices of food from meat to fish fingers, The troubles, etc.) 'Which will essentially shape 21st century Britain, making it more important that the 60s, 80s, and 90's...SUPER!'

Catch the trailer, and lets look forward to the shows...Look forward to it myself!

Re: Bbc2 the 70's

now this sounds very good indeed.
    its like retro tv.

a lot of what they will show ill never have seen so im lookung forward to it.

wonder how long it will run for what time it will be on at.

thanks for this mate.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Didn't say on the trailer. I've seen it twice now - they included it just before Peter Taylor's new two part programme on the world of the secret service as it really is and not as portrayed in Bond or Spooks (well, some of the latter one is quiet apt to the more dodgy things the CIA, MI5/6 do)...

Comment

I saw the trailer too.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This sounds a great idea, I hope it is good and there are some show's that have not been shown for year's shown. It is still great to see programmes like Some Mothes Do Have 'Um and the legendary Michael Crawford when they are either on G.O.L.D or the BBC, when shown but I hope too that the lesser known shows are broadcast in a good qauntaty too

Comment

i agree with all u have said mate.
            i was born in 75 so there will be a lot of things on this show i will not have heard of.

And yes i hope they show lots of the more obscure stuff.
            just because they are lesser known did not mean they where less popular.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            This sounds a great idea, I hope it is good and there are some show's that have not been shown for year's shown. It is still great to see programmes like Some Mothes Do Have 'Um and the legendary Michael Crawford when they are either on G.O.L.D or the BBC, when shown but I hope too that the lesser known shows are broadcast in a good qauntaty too
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I didn't see the trailer but i will be looking out for the programmes they will show...........my childhood was spent in the 70's and i love a trip down memory lane

Comment

Don't remember anything from the 70's but will be watching this. Like to know the state of things when I was a toddler
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Well, if you think about it, even if we were toddlers or babies barely born like me in 78, the events/actions of that decade led to where we are now....VAT certainly buggered things up pricewise when Heath took us into the Common Market...(correct me if wrong!). Fuel prices rose, and continue to do so, the mismanagement of the Unions by Labour under Wilson and Callaghan led to Heath, but he didn't fare better - so the electorate voted for Thatcher - she privatised it all, exorcising all Public responsibility and we pay even higher prices for utilities...The introduction of credit, easier to access mortgages, and as the trailer said, freer love led to more babies being born etc, etc, etc...

However, my favourite ever retro night of tv had to be Channel 4's season called 'TV Heaven' with Frank Muir, an evening dedicated to a particular year...1972's was good - they showed an Action Man ad from that year in the ad break!

Comment

I liked the TV Heaven season, it was just at the time I was getting more interested in old TV.

Also The BBC had a few theme nights around then. TV Hell, Cops On The Box, Docs On The Box & Japan Night were ones I remember.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This sounds great,
                      Hope they get it right & give us some rare stuff.
                      Do we have a date yet ?

Comment

April 16th on BBC 2. The thing that really gets me is how the prices of things have sky rocketed - I still marvel at the prices of my Mums glass beer tankers she got from Tesco's - the 'Delamere' brand labels are still on a couple - 20P for a large one! My Father used to tell me that fags in tens cost him 10p, that a food shop was about a fiver or tenner...2nd hand cars bought for £50 - £80...thanks Mr Heath for the EU and VAT....speaking of which, remember how the MP's said the increase in VAT to 20% was a 'temporary measure' - now buried under other news and the MPs mandarins have made many the public 'forget'...

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                          ...However, my favourite ever retro night of tv had to be Channel 4's season called 'TV Heaven' with Frank Muir, an evening dedicated to a particular year...1972's was good - they showed an Action Man ad from that year in the ad break!
                          That night has never been bettered, in my humble opinion.

Comment

According to TV Times;

Monday 16 April 9pm, BBC2.
                            The 70s.
                            Get It On: 70-72: 1 of 4. Historian Dominic Sandbrook goes back 40 years to present a fresh look at the decade. He begins with the years 1970 to 1972, from the housing boom that led to the creation of new towns, through the arrival of thousands of Ugandan Asians seeking shelter from General Idi Amin, to the 1972 miners strike. Repeated tomorrow at 11.20pm.

Followed by;
                            10pm, Sounds of the 70s 2: Art House Glam - Get in the Swing.
                            A collection of archive performances by artists including The Kinks, Queen, Elton John, Roxy Music, Rod Stewart and David Bowie.

Given the title I'll be very disappointed if Sparks don't get a look in.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              ...However, my favourite ever retro night of tv had to be Channel 4's season called 'TV Heaven' with Frank Muir, an evening dedicated to a particular year...1972's was good - they showed an Action Man ad from that year in the ad break!
                              That night has yet to be bettered, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X