Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• albatros
    replied
    For us on the Isle of Man it was BBC only available and that from a transmitter on the mainland until a repeater was brought into service. Later when ITV came on some of the island (West) received Granada from Winter Hill while the East received from Ulster from the Black Mountain site and many parts received no ITV programs at all. Even for those of us that did the reception was at best poor with a poor signal to noise ratio, co-channeling and times even tide effects! Later a repeater was installed on the island for Border Television which did NOT go down well because the general opinion was that Granada had better programming. Then I left the island to go to university. I was just turned nineteen and my life of sin and debauchery started from then!

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Central (and also Yorkshire with a correctly positioned portable aerial and signal booster).

Atmospheric conditions on a couple of occasions sometimes got us Anglia, London and the Meridian/TVS region.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yc9pBjTKo8
    Last edited by Victoria O'Keefe; 19-07-2022, 13:47.

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied
    Thames & LWT

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFsB4nYTQM

Leave a comment:

• HG
    replied
    Tyne Tees

Leave a comment:

• Blue Jeans
    replied
    ATV. Then it became Central, then Carlton.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    I was looking through listings in a late '70s Look-In and I see some parts got Mork & Mindy while more got Happy Days. I'd much rather have had the former, Happy Days got a bit stale for me, but Laverne & Shirley was the best of the bunch really.

Leave a comment:

• culnara
    replied
    Originally posted by Arran View Post

That's an interesting one.

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what was it like to have Grampian? Did it show lots of local programmes that were not shown in any other ITV region? Did it often share programmes with STV? What was the local news like?

I am aware that Grampian produced some ITV schools programmes, but it ended up (unfairly?) gaining a reputation for being associated with sex education. I think Grampian produced some children's programmes as well.
    Hi there, no, from what remember, there weren't many deviations from the ITV listings, usually Sat night Movies would differ, or the odd change in programs but nothing major, there used to be a Saturday Children's show called "Isla's Island" this ran 1973/74, with Isla St Clair being the Presenter, al lI remember about it was Isla being dressed up as a Pirate and I'm sure there was a seal puppet on a wooden box next to her, they would also show cartoons, I just remember Spiderman being shown... nobody else seems to remember it, at least Wikipedia mentions i on Isla's page LOL

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    Ulster TV programmes were broadcast in other ITV regions only once in a blue moon. They produced a few episodes of Dramarama but the only other times you would see their logo was religious programmes like Highway apart from a very rare one-off programme.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied
    Originally posted by amethyst
    There was Tyne Tees
    Scottish TV
    Ulster
    London Weekend
    Midlands
    There was a series made in the mid 70s called Nobody's House, about a boy ghost living in a house.
    This was made by Tyne Tees. That's probably the first time I came across the network.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    Originally posted by amethyst
    There was Westward TV probably Devon & Cornwall
    Has anybody experienced (the rather homely) Westward and its successor TSW? Their studio was located in Plymouth.

It served Devon, Cornwall, Scilly Isles, part of Somerset, western Dorset.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    Originally posted by culnara View Post
    Grampian Television
    That's an interesting one.

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what was it like to have Grampian? Did it show lots of local programmes that were not shown in any other ITV region? Did it often share programmes with STV? What was the local news like?

I am aware that Grampian produced some ITV schools programmes, but it ended up (unfairly?) gaining a reputation for being associated with sex education. I think Grampian produced some children's programmes as well.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    Originally posted by culnara View Post
    Grampian Television
    A mysterious one for me (along with the Border region); I imagine people tuning in from the Orkneys and Hebrides to some unique Scottish programs known now only in fading memories.

Leave a comment:

• wispa lover
    replied
    HTV Wales. Despite living in South Wales, for some reason our old TV set had HTV West in better picture quality than HTV Wales.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X