School / Educational television programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School / Educational television programmes

I remember them being around well into the 1990s, though only getting watch them when between jobs or having the odd day off from work.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I remember them being around well into the 1990s, though only getting watch them when between jobs or having the odd day off from work.

I think I can recalla bout as far as 1995-1997 Richard. Sure though without doubt these programmes made 'Daytime TV" especially favourites like Stop, Look and listen" etc!! Though unless things change drastically such TV wont be seen ever again I feel.

Comment

Used to watch Look and Read when I was at first school in the late 70s. I was a bit scared of that disembodied head thing!.

Here's some links I have for schools TV;

http://www.broadcastforschools.co.uk/site/Main_Page
        http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/schoolstv/index.html

Comment

Yes i remember watching look and read yes that head thing was a bit scary,and i think another was stop look and listen.

we would watch it o
          n a friday in school lights off which made me doze off.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            Yes i remember watching look and read yes that head thing was a bit scary,and i think another was stop look and listen.

we would watch it o
            I recall this too Darren. In-effect most Schools Programmes merged into one I recall/remember (even non ones like Play School) though it wasn't a Schools one!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

we would watch it o

Me too Darren mate - if I didn't know you better I'd say we went to the same School!

These Episodes "made" School I think as did all the other related things like Promotional Videos about Road Safety etc too. Great memories indeed

80sChav

Comment

The MOST frightening thing I saw was the old (probably from 50's early 60's) films of doing Gymnastics 'wrong'....anguished faces, ambulances, hospitals, eek

The b&w film we were shown in secondary school made me not want to go near the wall bars, beams, or anything in the gym.....REALLY SCARY.
                But thankfully nothing too bad ever happened in real life to us.

Comment

Looking back I think it was a terrible omission that there wasn't a television channel devoted to educational programmes for kids that broadcast at evenings and weekends. The BBC and ITV made tons of programmes for schools that could have been shown on this channel at a time when kids are available to watch them. My bugbear with BBC, ITV, and C4 is that prime time programmes were mostly news and light entertainment for adults but there was not a lot educational programmes for kids until after 9PM when parents are calling them for bed. A TV channel showing programmes related to school subjects like English, maths, science, geography, history, music, art, RE, technology, computing, and foreign languages from KS1 up to O Level / GCSE would have provided a useful and beneficial educational service from the 1970s through to more recent times. Even more so if it had its own Teletext pages. Some of them would have been for particular programmes and others more general material such as core topics in maths and English.

Comment

What school tv programmes can you remember watching????
                    I can remember living & growing & How we used to live....There are 2 others which stick in my memory but I can't remember their names...One had Helen Worth(Coronation Street) in it and the other featured a story called "Cloud Burst"

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Used to watch Look and Read at school....favourite was Sky Hunter about a gang stealing Peregrine Falcon eggs..........and who can forget Wordy and this tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Gq17O-HRc

Comment

Duffer, Cloud Burst was a series of Look and Read. A couple of familiar faces crop up. Tina Heath, who later became a presenter of Blue Peter. Michael Sheared, who later became famous for playing Mr Bronson in Grange Hill. He has also played Adolf Hitler in one of The Tomorrow People. Also Derek Griffiths, well know on a number of children programmes.
                      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Not sure if what im thinking is a school programme but i remember seeing it one of the fellas who talked u never saw him but i can remember his voice so well it was quite scary a show and one episode i remember was at a fairground at night i believe.

PRETTY SURE IT WAS EARLY NINETIES.

Comment

What happened to all the archive of (educational?) videos produced by ILEA when ILEA was dissolved? ILEA was supposed to have had some cable television system where they were broadcast to schools in its territory.

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ble-television

This is cynical but I suspect that some Marxist political organisation has got a huge collection of them somewhere for their members to reminisce about the good old days when the GLC and its educational authority ILEA was a fortress of the political left before Thatcher demolished it.

Comment

Oh, lordy...I remember watching the clock counting down, and there was one programme where we watched a Golden Retriever giving birth to puppies after the announcer had shown us how the birth canal stretches using a rubber band on her (his?) fingers...

I also remember Music and Movement on the radio ("Be a tree!") and the themed sing along programmes with the accompanying songbooks. I remember one of the songs...

"Crack! Went the whip, and the wheels went round,
                            Wagonbeds jolting over stony ground...
                            No more sleep, I lay wide-eyed,
                            While the arrows hit like hailstones on the canvas sides."
                            We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.

Comment

Sadly I doubt it will ever happen - but all the Schools Programmes (or best of them) a mega DVD of say 1000 (like those Great Rail Journeys etc that you can get in the Edinburgh Woolen Mill Shop) should be brought out I think!! All the old ones based in actual school Lessons of how English, Maths, Geography, Science was taught say starting Circa 1988 would be awesome. BBC, C4 and ITV would make a small Fortune I am sure - they could be priceless - like GCSE Exam Workbooks became an awesome idea! I sure would snap up the chance to buy any DVD's like so! This would be real culture of the 1980s in how we lived and good teach many a thing I think, no doubts

80sChav

Comment

https://youtu.be/gCFqSCeCYhI

CANT BELIEVE I JUST FOUND THIS.

Comment

Working...
                                X