Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smiths Flavour 'n' Shake Crisps

Does anyone remember these ?
    They came out in the mid to late 80s and were similar to Salt 'n' Shake, but with a sachet containing flavour powder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flavour 'n' Shake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	264242

I can remember getting them in packs of six, but I can't quite remember the flavours.
    One was Prawn Cocktail, but i'm not sure about the others, I think there were three flavours in total,
    Can anyone remember the other flavours ?
    Last edited by DemonEyeX; 02-10-2012, 03:03. Reason: Added Pic

Re: Smiths Flavour 'n' Shake Crisps

I remember them well. Already mentioned the in the crisp thread.
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

It was hard to get an even spread of flavouring, even with a very hard shake.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Back of the packet shown here http://www.flickr.com/photos/2357488...n/photostream/

Simply say's Plain Potato crisps ready to add the flavour of your choice.

According to info found online they did do a trial of different flavour sachets but it is believed they were very short lived and only produced in the Midlands.

The nature of marketing new products is that regional testing can lead to certain items never reaching the greater mass of the public. Evidence seems to indicate that there may have been experimentation with a 'Flavour 'n' Shake' product in the 1980's but the test release failed to show positive responses and the product was dropped. It seems likely that because the manufacturer was based in Leicestershire, UK, the experimental product never saw the light of day outside of the Midlands region.The experiment took the simple blue bag of salt and replaced it with a flavouring that could be added in the same fashion described above. For those with a taste for adventure this meant that collecting different bags of flavouring would allow the creation of some truly tongue-pounding combinations that could be enjoyed with or without the crisps
        supplied.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ptop/A471377

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lanc.../plain/A471377
        Heather

Comment

I used to buy packs of 6 from Iceland in Durham City. Not in the Midlands!

Comment

theese look nice but i sure never remember them coming over here where iam.

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
            Does anyone remember these ?
            They came out in the mid to late 80s and were similar to Salt 'n' Shake, but with a sachet containing flavour powder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3446[/ATTACH]

I can remember getting them in packs of six, but I can't quite remember the flavours.
            One was Prawn Cocktail, but i'm not sure about the others, I think there were three flavours in total,
            Can anyone remember the other flavours ?
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I recall these well very well, like as if it was yesterday from the the 1980s being young and thinking how novel it wasto have Salt in a little packet in the Crisp Packet itself, so unique and original really in a way.

I still thought in a way it was novel when the makers kept doing them as so years later as well in a way, as it was something very ahead of it's time to sprinkle your own Salt on Crisps if you did'nt want too much I think/thought.

Comment

Flavour & Shake were available in the North West around 1986-7.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I thought I remembered these, but looking at the packet I don't. What flashed through my mind was the usual design of the original smiths salt and shake crisps but with coloured writing representing the different flavours. We're there any other brands with this type of packaging? I'm half thinking I am remembering an old Seabrooks Crisps design but I am not sure!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    I recall these well very well, like as if it was yesterday from the the 1980s being young and thinking how novel it wasto have Salt in a little packet in the Crisp Packet itself, so unique and original really in a way.

I still thought in a way it was novel when the makers kept doing them as so years later as well in a way, as it was something very ahead of it's time to sprinkle your own Salt on Crisps if you did'nt want too much I think/thought.
                    This makes no sense. You are talking about Salt N Shake. Not Flavour Shake.

Comment

Salt 'n' vinegar, Smokey Bacon, Fish 'n chips, Cheese & Onion, Worcester Sauce and Tomato Ketchup

Same seller has loads more fab ad's.
                      Heather

Comment

i remember these i still get the salt and shake now
                        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

I remember the salt ones and I used to add vinegar to them, they were a little soggy sometimes.

Comment

yes same here mate.
                            they do get soggy as i just ad too much vinegar same as i did with all smiths crisps.
                            rather have too much vinegar than salt.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                            i remember these i still get the salt and shake now
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I could never understand the point of this marketing concept. Why not just sell Ready Salted and have done with it without all this farting about having to do it yourself? Not only that , but you could guarantee some crisps would be too salty, and some not salty enough. I can only assume it was cheaper for them to produce.
                              Last edited by wickerman; 13-05-2014, 04:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X