• Show
Clear All

• Cadbury's Appletree dessert

Click image for larger version

Name:	aac 1972 AUG 9.png
Views:	209
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	291368

I saw an old newspaper advertisement from August 1972 on one of the online archives while I was researching old newspaper advertisements - it was for a non-chocolate product made by Cadbury's called Appletree (one word). It was dried apple dessert mix and was available in apple, raspberry or bilberry flavour (so perhaps there was also a Raspberrytree [sic] or a Bilberrytree [sic] as well?) It contained 3 to 4 servings. It seem to be around in 1971-1972 as some local newspapers also refer to the product the year before.

They were in the shops for a rather expensive 12 1/2p which was cheaper than the equivalent pound of apples that would set you back to 15p back then. In the advertisement, it also mentioned which ITV regions had shops selling them - most of the southern part of Great Britain had them, although Granadaland wasn't one of them, neither was Tyne Tees, or the Scottish or Northern Ireland regions.

It also made me think that Cadbury's only do chocolate products these days - Smash seems to be still around I believe, but Cadbury's no longer makes them, and they also did Super Noodles and one or two other things? - I wouldn't say that it was chocolate!

Does anyone who was around in the early 1970s remember the product? - No doubt that if had still been around today, the fruit content would have been classified as being "one of your five a day".

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Don’t recall them, but great memory for the collection
    Attached Files

Comment

Quite fittingly, I just noticed after posting that it was exactly 50 years this week since that advert appeared in the Daily Mirror. - a great time to have this thread
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

At one time Cabbury's seemed to make a few non-chocolate products, I remember someone uploaded some ads for some Pringle like crisps in a tube.

I think the prices of cocoa beans were unstable at one time & they decided to diversify into other foods.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Cadbury's Stackers
          Click image for larger version  Name:	stackers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	291388
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
            Cadbury's Stackers
            Click image for larger version Name:	stackers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	291388
            Thanks they are what I was thinking of.

Comment

I never knew that Cadbury did crisps (of the Pringle variety at least).
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember this. My dad worked for Cadbury and my mum used to buy it in the Cadbury seconds shop to take on camping trips. It had an acetone aftertaste, like pear drops, and a very distinctive texture.

Comment

I can remember someone at school having a bag of Apple Crackles in the early 1990s, which were similar. I can't remember who made them & didn't see another packet.

Comment

Working...
                  X