Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC Radio 1 Will Not Play The Original Christmas song of Fairytale Of New York .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Radio 1 Will Not Play The Original Christmas song of Fairytale Of New York .

Anyone Seen This . i mean for crying out loud , theres just to many snowflakes out there nowadays.

what are your views opinions on this ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

If you want to listen to it, Heart Xmas plays it on my DAB radio, so if you keep listening you will eventually get to hear it.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Think radio 1 will play the unedited version but only after something like 9 pm

jeez

Comment

Look at how many old songs contain the word "gay" in the lyrics such as "Twisting the Night Away" ("where the people are so gay"), and "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" ("why do birds sing so gay?") - are we going to ban those songs in the same way? Of course, they were made in the 1950s when the word had a different meaning, and things have changed since then - it is a double meaning word which has taken on a different meaning in the last 50 years.

I never liked Mr Brain's Faggots because of the taste of them, not because of the name - the same as Wotsits when they referred to their snack as cheesy puffs. Just because they have similar words used, I don't think that there is any real need to ban them - the same with the Pogues' song.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Well, the BBC is for everyone, at very least everyone who pays into it one way or another, and it's generally a good thing where minority sensitivities are being considered at all. There could be some gay person thinking 'I pay into this to hear a term like that'? And it's not cigarettes or small bits of kindling how it's used, or being happy.

It's as much a 'snowflake' move to get supposedly outraged about a song not being played. It's a great song, but there are films with artistic merit I expect the Beeb might not find appropriate to air on tv. They were cutting old blackface 'jokes' out of Tom & Jerry cartoons to air them quite awhile ago (the cat would have something explode in his face, which would be black when he turned to the camera and said something in dialect like 'mah oh mah'). I wouldn't say this is any further than that if they've decided against it.
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

For the same reason they're not allowed to show re-runs of "It Ain't Half Hot Mum", with its politically incorrect (but hilarious!) humour.

Shane MacGowan (acts the Oirishman, but is really an angry of Tunbridge Wells) isn't impressed at how his song has been butchered!

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
              It's as much a 'snowflake' move to get supposedly outraged about a song not being played. It's a great song, but there are films with artistic merit I expect the Beeb might not find appropriate to air on tv. They were cutting old blackface 'jokes' out of Tom & Jerry cartoons to air them quite awhile ago (the cat would have something explode in his face, which would be black when he turned to the camera and said something in dialect like 'mah oh mah'). I wouldn't say this is any further than that if they've decided against it.
              I think that the big issue with regards to Tom and Jerry cartoons was the fact that they were too violent which sounds absurd considering it was a cartoon.

Not surprisingly, G Glitter's Rock 'n' Roll Christmas will never be heard on the radio again, not even at Christmas, and neither will Two Little Boys be - not a Christmas song as such but it was a Christmas number one.

I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Also, when radio stations play the cover version of that old Brenda Lee song which was the 1987 Comic Relief song with Mel (Smith) and Kim (Wilde), a new edit is played, omitting the Two Little Boys reference for obvious reasons. Not too often of course, but that was the case the Christmas before last.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was shocked, flabbergasted and disgusted this happened again at Xmas, editing bits out on it - it is a love song when all is said and done and a song of hope.

I dont mind how people "peel their Apple" but it had a different meaning all-together back in 1987 about a Drug Addict who fell in love with a Drunk and they both had hopes of the "Bright Lights of Broadway", it is ogf no meaning what sexuality they believed in - we loved the song regardless. PC-Red tapeness gone mad is all I can say

Comment

Working...
                  X