Cool 1970s toys from my childhood..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Thinking of horror characters... I remember some sort of monster making kit someone brought to school. It had plastic moulds and they poured plaster into it and popped them out after they dried to have a Frankenstein's monster. You could then paint it. I don't remember any other monster molds but I'm sure there were some, but I remember the monster that was done and painted.
    Sounds like Denys Fisher skull machine
    https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...-skull-machine
    Heather

Comment

It might have been a little like that, but not so much of a presentation that I can recall, just remember a plastic mould that popped together with a hole for the plaster to go in. The Frankenstein monster may have been a bit cartoonish, not so scary. There may have been more to it than I ever saw, like a mad scientist's workshop. I can imagine a girls' version with animals perhaps and I probably would've had more interest in that. I remember a later toy jewelry maker a younger cousin had; gaudy chunky stuff that must've somehow fused plastic bits together.

Anything actually making something is a toy that might last for awhile. I do remember a play mini-oven with a lightbulb to cook a small cake, but once the mini-cake mixes were gone... I never had one in any case.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Do you think it might have been Shaker Maker?
        I remember the advert on the TV back in the 70's. It was a kind of mixture that was poured into the mould rather than plaster of Paris. I have just had a bleary eyed Google over my first coffee and lo and behold, one of the characters available was indeed Frankenstein!

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
          Thinking of horror characters... I remember some sort of monster making kit someone brought to school. It had plastic moulds and they poured plaster into it and popped them out after they dried to have a Frankenstein's monster. You could then paint it. I don't remember any other monster molds but I'm sure there were some, but I remember the monster that was done and painted.

There were some little plastic creatures that had suctions cups on their feet that would climb down a wall or pane of glass if it was clean enough. I had one of those and it worked by gravity, flipping end over end down the wall. Might've been a bug sort of creature. Also little men with wrapped-up parachutes you could throw in the air and watch come floating down. I don't remember any of these being characters or brands, just very cheap toys, kind of like those card paper or light wood airplanes/helicopters with elastic band driven propellers. I remember there being bins of cheap little toys like these sold at corner shops or on counter tops competing for our pocket money with licorice and other candy.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	6deeee5222d2c1e85d8f8174e807d3f5--the-wall-old-toys.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	287311 There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post

Sounds like Denys Fisher skull machine
            https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...-skull-machine

Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-denys-fisher-skull-machine_360_9b3411b01181b78d72a9d1faaecb9d48.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	287313

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post
              Do you think it might have been Shaker Maker?
              I remember the advert on the TV back in the 70's. It was a kind of mixture that was poured into the mould rather than plaster of Paris. I have just had a bleary eyed Google over my first coffee and lo and behold, one of the characters available was indeed Frankenstein!

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
              Last edited by 70s kid; 08-11-2021, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by 70s kid View Post
                and another model he made no money on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20150902_200946.jpg Views:	200 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	281122

cant believe no money was made on this and i assume any other spaceship from the series.
                For me the space 1999 ships etc are so fab and iconic they should have made money.

Some wonderful pics

Attached Files
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

cant believe no money was made on this and i assume any other spaceship from the series.
                  For me the space 1999 ships etc are so fab and iconic they should have made money.

Some wonderful pics

Tbh im making assumptions here. Anderson didnt die leaving billions in his estate as Lucas will but he got there first and i suspect Lucas learned from his mistakes about merchandise licensing. The Century 21Dinky models were superior to the Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars tat. I guess its the old adage of British creativity/ingenuity v American hard nosed business savviness. As Lew Grades production companies bankrolled AVP i suspect he got the lions share of the profits. To me the Eagle spaceship and especially Thunderbird 2 design can take the Pepsi challenge with the Millenium Falcon anyday.

Comment

That suction-cup creature brings back memories! It must've been something very similar, only slightly different, mine being green.

I looked up Shaker Maker Monsters and that must be what I saw part of, and it was a relatively quick drying time for whatever the stuff used was, and that's the Frankenstein monster I'm pretty sure (though not painted the same as it was painted by some of the kids). It would've been in the early '70s, we had a show-and-tell in early grades.

Thanks for helping me remember!

I remember seeing the Anderson dinkies on sale as a watcher of Space: 1999. I only had some comics and paperbacks myself as far as merchandise for it went. Most of the original Century 21 stuff would've been before my time but learned lots about it as a member of Fanderson. My BF was a fanatic for those Eagle ships, had some kind of blueprints set even, plus he saw and remembers UFO from before that which I don't.
                    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by 70s kid View Post
                      A decade before George Lucas made his millions from Star Wars toys, Gerry Anderson didnt with his TV tie in toys from Fireball XL5 to UFO. Click image for larger version Name:	photos_81032171_36948579_42756343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	281120
                      Which makes me think that we should include the humble roll of caps in this thread. If you look on the packaging, just above the Dinky logo you'll notice a diagram illustrating how a solitary cap placed behind the projectile would make a satisfying pop when launched.

Caps were a toy box essential during the 70's, obviously for guns and also those cheapo little rockets that you'd chuck around, the spring and pin would detonate the cap on impact.
                      I used to get my blue rolls of caps from Woolworths.
                      Woolworths is probably a topic in it's own right​​

Comment

beccabear67 Canadian huh!? Honk! Honk!

Comment

Right! Time for some interesting updates! Instead of posting stock photos from google, I'll post photos of actual recent procurments that I have made. Starting with....the DINKY GERRY ANDERSON COLLECTION.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

****! What has happened to the photo sizing option?

Comment

Video of my collection sans the eagle. Apologies for amateur videoing. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/sSeU3r6CyVw

Toys featured: Corgi: Mini Moke (The Prisoner), Dinky: SPV (Captain Scarlet), SHADO Interceptor/mobile SHADO 2 (UFO), original Thunderbird 2 (Thunderbirds), Matchbox : Streak Around P900 track set, Container Port P1 playset
                              Powerplay PP1 hovercraft, selection of Action Jack figures by Star Toys, 1970's Ideal Mouse Trap game, Cherilea Big 12 Army helicopter. Kenner die cast Millennium Falcon

Wish list:
                              Kenner: 3 3/4" figure compatible Millenium Falcon, AT AT, X Wing, TIE Fighter
                              die cast Lukes Landspeeder, X Wing, TIE Fighter, Darth Vaders TIE Fighter
                              Matchbox: full set Superfast 75 circa 1975
                              Cherilea: Sheridan tank, Rescue helicopter
                              Palitoy: Action Man tank commander, Pilot

...thats all I can think of for now...

What you got?.....

Comment

I came into posession of these recently too.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X