• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George 1978
    replied
    Re: Crisps

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Yum, try Walkers new spicy sriracha flavour...Deelish !!
    Spicy what?

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Yum, try Walkers new spicy sriracha flavour...Deelish !!

Leave a comment:

• Finnthedude
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    They were either for a free packet of crisps or money (50p or something - the equivalent value to one packet) off a eight pack of Walkers Crisps - done very similar to Wonka's Golden Tickets or the plastic toys found inside the boxes of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

It's odd because I am sure that in one of the adverts, Lineker had opened of the sachets and found a £20 note inside them, unless it was pretend play Monopoly money if you know what I mean.
    I remember these well, I won quite a few free bags but in one little blue sachet there was a cheque for £1.00 and the signature on the cheque was a (printed) signature by Gary Lineker. As it was only for a quid I never cashed it in and if I remember rightly it is hidden in my parents house inside a display china teaset they had. I wonder if it's still there?

Finnthedude.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

They were either for a free packet of crisps or money (50p or something - the equivalent value to one packet) off a eight pack of Walkers Crisps - done very similar to Wonka's Golden Tickets or the plastic toys found inside the boxes of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

It's odd because I am sure that in one of the adverts, Lineker had opened of the sachets and found a £20 note inside them, unless it was pretend play Monopoly money if you know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• marc
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    Talking about crisps, does anyone remember the Walkers Crisps promotion circa 1993 where some packs had a blue sachet which often contained an voucher for a few packet of crisps (or money off a six pack of crisps)?

The adverts (which were some of the first that Gary Lineker did) had showed Lineker finding a blue sachet with a £20 note inside, although I very much doubt that actual banknotes were contained inside them. Of course, they were very similar to the salt sachets that Smiths Salt 'n' Shake Crisps had a few years before.
    I had a couple of these vouchers. Generally they were for a free packet of crisps. I don't think they were allowed to put any cash (notes) in them. I may be wrong. One person who I then worked with I think had a voucher for a multiple pack.

Leave a comment:

• Heather74
    replied

Smiths Fizzpuff

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I was wondering how many flavours from that "Do us a Flavour" competition from around ten years ago are still being made for Walkers Crisps? Someone at the time obviously suggested Hedgehog flavour (a favourite with university students, no doubt).

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Talking about crisps, does anyone remember the Walkers Crisps promotion circa 1993 where some packs had a blue sachet which often contained an voucher for a few packet of crisps (or money off a six pack of crisps)?

The adverts (which were some of the first that Gary Lineker did) had showed Lineker finding a blue sachet with a £20 note inside, although I very much doubt that actual banknotes were contained inside them. Of course, they were very similar to the salt sachets that Smiths Salt 'n' Shake Crisps had a few years before.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Re: Putting salt and vinegar on plain crisps. Yes, I have done that before, though putting vinegar on was equally as unsuccessful as a previous poster's wife's attempts. Putting salt on was far better. I recall Smith's did put a little sachet of salt in the packet. My dad told me that salt sachets were very common in packets of crisps back in the 40s. Not sure if all crisps were plain back then.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

That's the picture of the crisps. I would have thought it would be more popular now as there are concerns about salt content in foods. But of course it will not work, as it gives the consumer a choice. In this day and age it has to be forced on the nation.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
    When I was a child I recall eating crisps made by Golden Wonder. There was also a brand of crisps which contained a shachet of salt, which could be added at the desired amount.
    That'd be Smith's Salt n Shake. They still seel them, but they are now Walkers Salt n Shake.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush
    Walkers once went through a period where there was a good chance of a packet having hardly any flavour. Often if it was in a multipack the other packet of the same flavour had a lot of flavour, as if they were made when the flavouring was running low & topped up.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

When I was a child I recall eating crisps made by Golden Wonder. There was also a brand of crisps which contained a shachet of salt, which could be added at the desired amount.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.
    Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X