X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caitlyn
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

If anyone wants any memory's of me growing up in Cambs then feel free to ask away but I don't feel I'm old enough to add anything of value.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    I recall me and a couple of mates also exploring an old abandoned boarded up house in our home town. We were probably breaking and entering but that never entered our heads. It was a huge two storey place with expansive rooms all covered in dust and cobwebs. We explored every room hoping to find something.. like hidden treasure or money. Fat chance. All we found were an old shoe and some cracked plates. We spent many hours in there. We even made it our secret meeting place until one day the wreckers moved in. We were devastated.

There were terraced houses near us dating from the early 20th century that were demolished around 1976. After everyone had moved out, I would wander from house to house prior to demolition work starting. My mother had lived in one house and another was the house of friends of my parents. It seemed so strange standing inside houses that were so familiar and held so many happy memories, yet were then so eerily quiet and empty.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

I remember as a teenager finding an abandoned mail van on a piece of wasteland near my school, i approached it cautiously and as i got closer i could see thousands of letters spilling from post bags at the rear doors, i allerted a passer buy who called the police, turned out the van had been stolen just half an hour earlier, the thieves obviously expected to find more than birthday cards and gas bills.Alas i got a pat on the back but no reward.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Morning DYRers.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Who as a kid used to play on house demolition sites? Hard to imagine these days but it was always a real adventure for me as a young lad going into the old terraced houses which had been evacuated and earmarked for demolition. During the 60s Manchester and inparticular Salford had a massive regeneration programme as i expect many cities did, we would go exploring these old buildings and invariably we would go home covered in plaster dust and paint....great times indeed!
    I recall me and a couple of mates also exploring an old abandoned boarded up house in our home town. We were probably breaking and entering but that never entered our heads. It was a huge two storey place with expansive rooms all covered in dust and cobwebs. We explored every room hoping to find something.. like hidden treasure or money. Fat chance. All we found were an old shoe and some cracked plates. We spent many hours in there. We even made it our secret meeting place until one day the wreckers moved in. We were devastated.

Leave a comment:

• angliaknight
    replied

Underneath it read "made in England by Lesney" iirc.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
    Trips uptown meant buying a matchbox vehicle, if i had been good, if only i had saved them along with the boxes.
    Same here. I only got measly pocket money which meant I had to save up for weeks to be able to afford a matchbox vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

I too have always had a fascination for Ufology. Agree with you 100%.
    I was into UFOs at one time, but went off them when they became the target of conspiracy theorist nuts, who would insist every dismissed sighting was a government cover-up, even when it could easily be explained.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

I have an oil painting of the photo on the right in my dining room, note the tail end of a Ford anglia

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Who as a kid used to play on house demolition sites? Hard to imagine these days but it was always a real adventure for me as a young lad going into the old terraced houses which had been evacuated and earmarked for demolition. During the 60s Manchester and inparticular Salford had a massive regeneration programme as i expect many cities did, we would go exploring these old buildings and invariably we would go home covered in plaster dust and paint....great times indeed!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
    Trips uptown meant buying a matchbox vehicle, if i had been good, if only i had saved them along with the boxes.
    Boxes are essential and worth as much as the car in many cases, corgi/dinky and matchbox all demand big money when boxed, condition ofcourse will also dictate the value but there are some serious collectors for these. With hindsight we all wish we had retained the boxes but in reality the first thing most kids do is throw it away.

Leave a comment:

• angliaknight
    replied

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Sticky fingers tex??

As for the model planes you guys had hanging from your bedroom ceilings.. We were not allowed such liberties. My models were either taken home or thrown out.
    Unlike you with land vehicles staffslad I had a full WW2 Desert Set...something like 100 pieces. Spent many hours playing with this.. but only on visiting days. They looked like below from memory.

I had a few of the playsets Airfix put out in the 70s...

Pontoon Bridge Assault set
    A box of H0-00 scale British commandos, box of German infantry, 3 or 4 moulded plastic vehicles and a pontoon bridge.

Gun Emplacement set
    Box of H0-00 scale British paratroopers, box of German infantry and a large gun emplacement complete with working gun, trenches and other features.

Foreign Legion fort
    Box of H0-00 French Foreign Legion, box of Bedouin Arabs and a model of a Foreign Legion fort.

The boxes of soldiers were the ones that Airfix sold for decades. About 30 or so figures that were on moulding sprues, so you had to twist them off the sprues. The box also contained other bits and pieces...the commandos included two men paddling a canoe.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Now this thread is taking off.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Ufology was another interest of mine, the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe really intrigued me, i would buy books on the subject and attended several seminars, i even had an article printed in ufo magazine (now defunct).
    This may seem silly to many but doubters should check the evidence which is quite overwhelming, i am not referring to the plethora of fake videos on you tube but documentation that stems all the way back to the 40s including testimony from pilots,astronauts,police, politicians even world leaders. Sure 95% of sightings can be explained away but the remaining 5% still amounts to thousands of unexplained reports of ufos. I dont mention this to start a debate just this was something i was interested in as a teenager and into middle age.
    I too have always had a fascination for Ufology. Agree with you 100%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X