No announcement yet.

End of an Era/HM King Charles III Coronation - Saturday 6th May 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing ive just noticed they dont use the term qc which took my yrs to know what it meant its now kc.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I bet that a lot of people still sing "Queen" by accident instead of "King" when singing the National Anthem and Her Majesty's Theatre in London is now His Majesty's Theatre. Sometimes, it is like translating things from one gender to another.

It made me assume that Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre will probably be renamed the King's Medical Centre.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Was really sad to hear of t Her Majesty's dath at the time

Must say though i dissaprove of Charles being King and think they should have followed previous protocol Re;, Divorcess marrying again and being on the Throne

Comment

I will be watching HM King Charles III's coronation today (Saturday 6th May 2023).

It deserves a thread of its own...
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And that is how it's done.

Beyond the obvious highlights, the Navy's 12 - 6 manoeuvre outside the palace was impressive, as was Penny Mordount's ability to hold that sword up for over two hours.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I will be watching HM King Charles III's coronation today (Saturday 6th May 2023).

It deserves a thread of its own...
              Agreed. Glad it all went off well and I feel very sorry for the police who were criticised for arresting 50 activists armed with megaphones and high-decibel rape alarms.
              Imagine if the activists had used their devices to panic the horses and caused injuries or deaths?

Comment

Just thought I would say that in my first visit to this forum since Coronation Day, it was interesting how some of the posts from the Queen Elizabeth II obituary thread has made it onto this one, but thanks for the spring cleaning, Mods!

Before starting this thread, I was thinking whether they were should be one or both the same thing, but I believe that the Coronation coverage has allowed us to move on from last September and is detached from the late Queen's death, and so this is hopefully a chance to start anew and a new thread started. Indeed, it is also the start of a new era rather than just the "end of an era" as mentioned in this thread's title. Anyway, I just thought I would mention that...

After popping to the local newsagent for special issues of The Times and the Daily Mail on Saturday morning, I came back at around 7.15 am and watched the main Coronation coverage on Saturday courtesy of BBC One - Dr Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury placed the crown on the new King and Queen's head, was the crème de la crème of the event. Toasted the Royal couple on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with some non-alcoholic wine (tasted horrible, but never mind!) Also, I had the radio coverage on BBC Radio 4 (an 11 second delay because I have Sky Digital!) I did notice the odd "Norman Collier"-esque sound problems that the BBC One had a little bit, although I assumed that it was due to the rainy weather getting into the sound equipment and microphones - people online said that it didn't affect the ITV coverage. I stayed with the BBC for the benefit of continuity and recording the event. I hoped that we had REIGN rather than RAIN on the day itself. On the Sunday, I saw Songs of Praise, followed by the Street Party coverage on BBC One.

Yes, the Coronation concert at Windsor Castle! Katy Perry, Nicole Scherzinger, and Lionel Richie were brilliant on the stage! I really enjoyed the cameos from Kermit the Frog (still going strong three decades after Jim Henson's passing) and Miss Piggy as well! And Take That really held their own! They did say that the Coronation celebrations would be lowkey compared to 1953, but I disagree as we didn't have the concert in Windsor Castle back then - the fact that the celebrations extended to beyond the actual service at Westminster Abbey, and looking at the televised events in hindsight, what we saw would have had more impact than 70 years ago. My memories of the Coronation will hopefully last as long as HM King Charles III's reign will - and perhaps even longer!

Speaking of music concerts, we now have the Eurovision Song Contest to look forward to - thanks to Norway and the Czech Republic, we still have a Royal theme there: the Queen of Kings will now be wearing My Sister's Crown!

I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thing is at charles age there a good chance we will see another coronation id say within 20 yrs.

I didnt watch much of it myself but charles must have been wore out
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think you are right - the Coronation has been the first one most of us have witnessed, but it won't be the only one, and it won't be like "waiting for a bus and two coming along at once" - it will be possibly in 20 years, as you said.

The sad thing is that I don't think that we will get a jubilee out of HM King Charles III, but saying that, his mother, father and grandmother lived to be in their 90s or older, and so it makes me optimistic that it could happen - also, people living longer and healthier due to scientific breakthroughs can make it almost possible. I believe for example, if I live to be 100, I am certain that by then, the future King George VII (Prince George at the moment), would feature on the front of my telegram card, and I would guess that he will become the penultimate British monarch of the 21st century - his oldest son or daughter will be on the throne in the year 2100, that is, provided that the UK still has an monarchy then of course, and the anti-monarchy groups haven't got their own way.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

They've got to have someone's face on stamps and things so might as well be his is how I look at it.
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Yes, I got some first class stamps in my Tesco online delivery last Monday afternoon and the late Queen Elizabeth II is still on them, (as well as the new barcodes), but I wonder how long it will be when King Charles III starts to appear on them? I would guess the start of next year, perhaps? I know that the deadline for using the old stamps without the barcodes on them is Monday 31st July 2023 (the postman delivered a Royal Mail leaflet about this a couple of weeks back which millions of others would have received as well), and that of course has nothing to do with the change of monarch in the past few months.

While I am here, (and it is Coronation-related), it was great to see the Scottish Service of Thanksgiving for HM King Charles III last Wednesday - it was seen as lowkey as I am south of the border and only came across it this time last week, but it was still great. Next year marks the 900th anniversary of St Giles' Cathedral foundation.

I would also like to see the major broadcasters and everyone else do a minute's silence at around 3.10 pm on Friday 8th September 2023 as it was exactly a year to the moment that the late Queen passed away - it is just a thought but I do hope that people will remember that moment officially or otherwise.

I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I've opened a few letters at work that have First Class stamps with Charles III's head on them.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I haven't seen any myself, but I assume that it is only a matter of time...
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Friday was the first anniversary of the late Queen Elizabeth II's death and the first anniversary of the start of King Charles III's reign. I would have thought that TV coverage would have been more focused on the anniversary day (compared to the first anniversaries of September 11th and July 7th). I even paid my own tribute at 3.10 pm which was the time that the late monarch passed away; for such a big event that happened last year, one would have thought of the first anniversary as relatively big as well. The Times and Daily Mail had Royal-related news on their front pages.

Saw the news reports and King Charles' tributes to his mother on BBC Breakfast and also on the News later on. Outside of the News, at least ITV shown that film The Queen again, seen last year nine days before she had passed away, and was the only Royal related programme seen outside News coverage.

I feel now that now we have reached one year since it happened, we have now moved on in many ways. However, I have collected a good deal of correspondence, newspapers and TV and radio coverage to officially have a record of what happened last year and in the past year from then until now. It has really been such an experience to live with.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It doesn't seem like a year... cliched thing to write I suppose but it really doesn't. Of course she's still on so much of the currency.
                                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                                X