Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wimpy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • branny
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Me and my mates always used to go after ice skating on Sundays. I used to love the sauce that they put on 1/4 pounders. I always had the same everytime I went. 1/4 pounder with cheese, fries, choc shake and apple pie. I think Burger King bought the Wimpys in Manchester not long after. There used to be one in Blackpool as well. On day trips there it was the first thing we did after getting off the train.

    I remember one of the adds from the 80's but it doesn't seem to be on you tube. "Wimpy is the home of the hamburger with the greatest burgers under the sun". Both the customer and the staff member were rather attractive blondes. Loved that ad.

    Leave a comment:


  • Palazzo
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I have fond memories of Wimpy as my nan would take me quite a bit as a youngster, always enjoyed the food which was a bonus. I remember getting a few of these Wimpy tokens and after a few visits I had enough to exchange them for a hand puppet of the Wimpy mascot which was actually much better than it sounds and was a great toy considering I got it for a few tokens!

    The last time I went was last year and I found the food was still pretty decent to be fair and the place looked exactly the same as it did all those years ago. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Wimpy, long may it live on!

    Leave a comment:


  • kazboot
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
    on our school trip to Stratford on Avon in 1981 I remember having a scrummy Knickerbocker Glory in Wimpy


    Knickerbocker Glories in the 70s were fantastic! They were huge and easily the best thing about Wimpy.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hooper68
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I remember going to the Wimpy in Wigan in the late 70's,it seemed amazing at the time,I always wanted but never got one of the puddings which looked delicious especially the Brown derby which I think was a ring doughnut with a big blob of ice cream in the centre covered in chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.....mmmmmmm

    Leave a comment:


  • Trace564
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Used to love going to Wimpy as a kid. I remember the ketchup in a tomato shaped bottle, and I used to love their (round shaped) sausage.

    Leave a comment:


  • barry21
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    we still have got a wimpy in our town.
    it usually is a good place to visit when you need some carbo wotsits!!
    it depends who is on cooking duty that day to what type of cooked food you get. cold or burnt.
    they were one of the first around this area who put baked potato on their menu. My wife can't tolerate too much fat but enjoys being able to pop in and have a baked potato while i have a spicy chicken burger.

    Leave a comment:


  • chillyrose
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Wow thats just jogged a memory - I had a whole collection of Wimpy badges!
    Don't know what happened to them tho...:cry:

    Leave a comment:


  • Heather74
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    a collection of 80's Wimpy badges

    Leave a comment:


  • rossobantam
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    on our school trip to Stratford on Avon in 1981 I remember having a scrummy Knickerbocker Glory in Wimpy

    Leave a comment:


  • karenbrown18
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I can remember that my Mum always referred to them as a "Wimpy Bar"!

    Leave a comment:


  • SpiralCoolStuff
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Aaahh Wimpy. I had my 8th birthday party at Wimpy Then it got turned into a Burger King .....i havnt seen a Wimpy in years!!! Glad to know theyre still around.

    Leave a comment:


  • chillyrose
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    My local wimpy isn't too bad actually, the same as it always has been. Its actually a bit cleaner than Maccy D's, and they do the best strawberry milshakes...mmmmmmmm!

    Leave a comment:


  • karenbrown18
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    The thing I prefer about Wimpy, is that you actually get your food on a plate with a knife and fork! Although haven't been to one for years

    Leave a comment:


  • sixtyten
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    Sadly, Wimpy seems only be frequented these days by the mentally ill, if my local ones are any judge
    Last edited by Heather74; 06-03-2008, 15:27.

    Leave a comment:


  • soapy
    replied
    Re: Wimpy

    I went to one in town a couple of months ago and they deep fried everything!!! The burger was dripping with fat and made me feel a bit sick. The last one i remember having before that must have been about 10 years ago and it seemed quite nice, so the standards have obviously slipped a hell of a lot.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X