• Clare
    replied
    Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Steppin' Out -Joe Jackson

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

Some early '80s flashback fodder for me...

Don't You Want Me - Human League (played at a roller disco)
    Dreaming - Cliff Richard
    Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
    I Can't Go For That - Hall And Oates
    Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I left Junior school in 1989 and when I think of that time I always think of the Reynolds Girls with "I'd Rather Jack" and Big Fun's cover version of "Blame it on the Boogie" when I think of it. The same for any Kylie and/or Jason hit from that year, any Stock, Aitken and Waterman hit from that year. And Jive Bunny as well...

Top of the Pops being relayed on Radio 1 did help at the time.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by darren View Post
    Well here are a few.
    belinda carlisle heaven is a place on
    earth
    t pau china in your hand.

Cyndi lauper your not good enough from the goonies
    peter cetera glory of love from karate kid.

Tiffany i think im alone now

as well as various bangles and bananarama songs.

Peter gabriel sledgehammer fantastic video.
    Great choices here Daz mate - the 80s list is endless I feel, like I say to my Mum it's like the 60s with so many 1-off one offs

Another notable mention for the 80s is Climme Fisher and Love Changes Everything, and from the 60s Everlasting Love too

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

Well here are a few.
    belinda carlisle heaven is a place on
    earth
    t pau china in your hand.

Cyndi lauper your not good enough from the goonies
    peter cetera glory of love from karate kid.

Tiffany i think im alone now

as well as various bangles and bananarama songs.

Peter gabriel sledgehammer fantastic video.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

There are many of them - a lot of chart songs between 1981 and 1984 come to mind. You can get a top 10 from any point in those years and at least five of those songs are great - that's why I look forward to a certain year coming up on Pick of the Pops.

Tracey Ullman's They Don't Know reminds me of my first year at Infant School, and Depeche Mode's People Are People also has the same feeling about back then. When I attended a reunion at the same school in 1995 I played those songs quite a few times before leaving the house to attend, and it certainly got me in the mood!

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

For some reason, "I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester" is one of my earliest memories.

I also remember my mum having Radio 2 on, and hearing "Take a Chance on Me" by Abba, "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" by Julie Covington, "From LA to New York" (or vice versa?) by Patsy Gallant, and "Do It, Do It Again" by Raffaella Carra.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

I go through too many phases - but at the moment I am totaly for You To Me Are Everything by The Real thing - though it was new when I was barley a few years old (if that!!), though it fluctuates between this, These Are The Days Of Our Lives by Queen, George Michael and Lisa Stansfield and anything by the amazinglyly beautiful Lisa or by Belinda Carlisle - like Heaven Is A Place On Earth or We Dream (The Same Dream) even too

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• philipdalton
    replied

My dad used to listen to Radio 2 quite often in the late 70's when I was a child and they often played Neil Diamond songs. "Forever in Blue Jeans" is the one that seems to stock in my mind the most. I also remember one called "American Popular Song".

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
    That was the first single I ever bought. the B side was "the Magic Flute Smurf".
    I spotted a Father Abraham LP in a charity shop window today, I didn't see what price it was though!

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
    The one that sticks most to my mind would be Father Abraham - The Smurf Song!
    That was the first single I ever bought. the B side was "the Magic Flute Smurf".

Leave a comment:

• akb48fan
    replied

The one that sticks most to my mind would be Father Abraham - The Smurf Song!

Leave a comment:

• philipdalton
    replied

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Until the BBC4 Top Of The Pops repeats I wasn't sure either who had recorded it. I used to think it was one of the Two Tone bands like The Beat or The Selector.
    I must admit when I heard it I thought it was one of Madness's songs.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
    At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.
    Until the BBC4 Top Of The Pops repeats I wasn't sure either who had recorded it. I used to think it was one of the Two Tone bands like The Beat or The Selector.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
    At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.
    Original version

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X